Rear seat release broken

ben-cupra

I tried to put the rear seats down flat today but i broke the release clip in the process. :(
I have no idea how to fix this! can i buy a replacement part? and even if i did buy the part, how can i replace it? The seat is stuck in the upright posistion. :(
I really need help!
What made it worse was the fact that i was trying to fix my faulty boot release when this happened. I managed to fold the small seat down flat, so I ended up having to crawl through the small gap and remove the boot pannel. Im 6'4" so i had a lot of fun trying to fit through....

PLEASE HELP....

jimlum

hi can you tell me if you ever did manage to fix your rear seat release and if so how you did it as broke mine the other day too!!

dholdi

Jul 3, 2008
Preston
I'll let you know how easy it is after xmas when I replace mine. As for costs I got both pieces, the surround and the bit you pull up for less than £4 delivered from Seremotors on here.

dholdi

Jul 3, 2008
Preston
I'd forgotten about this, but its quite easy to do if you spend a few minutes sussing out how the parts come out and dont rush in heavy handed. Iirc the surround ( this was the bit that was broke on mine ) may have a screw hidden under the bit you pull up to release the seat. To release the bit you pull up from the rod mechanism inside the seat there is a slit in the carpet on the rear of the seat which when you look into it will be obvious how they seperate. Once youve done that pull up sharply on the seat release bit and it will come free from the surround. Replacement is reversal of the above.

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
i was lucky with mine , when i bought the car it had no handle to pull ,

i went to seat showed them what i was missing , then i just inserted mine down the hole and it clicked into place then it worked , been ok ever since

RZ500

I´m going to try that, since mine doe not have a way to get in from the back

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
i jsut poped the handle in which had a rod type plastic spike (similar to a plastic tent peg )

just just clicked into place

as said i would carefully insert it to see if you can feel anything stopping it as it goes down , other wise u dont want to force it and snapp it etc

mikeholroyd

It's worth noting that although the replacement handles are only a quid each, you cannot now get the drivers side handle in light grey.

My SEAT dealer tried and tried to get one the right colour, but SEAT are now using a different manufacturer, and cannot obtain light grey drivers side handles. Light grey handles for the passenger side, and the cups that sit on the top of the back seats ARE available in light grey still, from existing stock.

I recently broke the drivers side handle on mine, and ended up replacing the handles on both seats, and the retaining cups, all in black, so that it woudn't look odd. At least everything is in the same colour now, and the total cost of replacing all 4 parts was less than £7.

For those who need new handles, part numbers are
1J0 885 643 release rod passenger side £1.08 + vat,
1J0 885 644 release rod drivers side, £1.08 + vat
and the cups are 1J0 885 785 £1.94 each

On the end of all these part numbers is EB41 for black, or 4VE for light grey, or P21 for beige

Total with VAT £6.65

Hope this helps

Mike

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.