Rear Shocks

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Advisory on my resent MOT is both rear shocks weeping. Car's done 95K miles.

Genuine PN is 5Q0513029FF
(Edit: I have just checked a 3 door FR 184 and that uses the same rear shock part number!)

Anyone know if the Leon ST is hard on the bump stops? Should I also change these or have people successfully re-used? My Audi A4 seemed to ride on its bump stops which were toast - but that had done 200K+ miles!

Same question with the upper mount? replace or reuse?

Anyone use an aftermarket shock? Sachs/Bilstein? Not after anything more sporty than standard FR suspension.

1610117102420.png

Last edited:

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
I had mine replaced in March at about 98,000 miles due to them being quite bouncy/crashy and having a rear end shimmy. My mechanic said they had light misting and were fooked.

He got a set of OEM ones form his trade parts supplier. I can't remember what they were but nothing particularly branded (I'd never heard of them). The car was so much better. He did not mention replacing anything else such as the bump stops or mounts but I can't be sure. I'd probably replace just to be sure?

It drives a lot better with new ones!

PS - Just found the paperwork. No mention of brand name but it was 96273 miles and cost me £165 (not VAT registered and charges £20 p/h).

Reactions: SuperV8
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.