Rear Squeaking

Mar 6, 2023
I have a 2018 Seat Toledo (circa 22k miles). Very recently started experiencing a rear squeaking coming from the passenger side when I go over particularly large speed bumps - doesn't happen on smaller ones. The squeak itself sounds rubbery and as if it is coming from inside car. However, I know sounds can travel in an odd way.
There are no issues when turning corners, reversing, or driving on uneven road surfaces without speed bumps.

Are there any common causes of this/ways for me to test and figure out where it is coming from, or is it a "take it to the mechanic immediately" sort of deal?

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
Is yours a solid parcel shelf? I had the same issue on my previous car (Insignia) - just had to put some circular rubber stickers under the parcel shelf where it rests on the mounts down the side and it got rid of the noise. Took me a while to figure out it was coming from the back....

madgibbon

Aug 29, 2017
My 2014 has been doing that for the last five years, typically it started a few months after warranty expired. It only does it during the colder damp months, it's fine over summer.

I believe it's to do with some rubber covers underneath and the material they are made of. From a Google search a couple of years ago, it seems to affect quite a few VAG group cars.

Mar 6, 2023
My 2014 has been doing that for the last five years, typically it started a few months after warranty expired. It only does it during the colder damp months, it's fine over summer.

I believe it's to do with some rubber covers underneath and the material they are made of. From a Google search a couple of years ago, it seems to affect quite a few VAG group cars.
I think you're onto a winner... did the bounce test on my boot with the boot open so I could hear in the cabin. Nothing at all.
Did it boot closed, faintest squeak. Listened into one side of it and bounced again - its definitely a dry part of the boot seal!!!!
Then wriggled my car doors about, rear passenger side makes the same noise!!

Glad it doesn't seem to be anything structural but Jesus is the sound annoying! No complaints about the car other than that though 🤣

Mar 6, 2023
Is yours a solid parcel shelf? I had the same issue on my previous car (Insignia) - just had to put some circular rubber stickers under the parcel shelf where it rests on the mounts down the side and it got rid of the noise. Took me a while to figure out it was coming from the back....
Nah I don't have my parcel shelf in - investigated the car and found the source. See reply to madgibbon 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: Alex667
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.