Rear Tracking

xJib

Just had the tracking done and found out that the rears out. Now the guy who did it was very knowledgeable and was using a sophisticated piece of kit. It shows that the toe is out by the same amount on both sides. Now I know that there is no adjustment but is there any way of correcting this? Is it worth it? Will it cause any major tyre wear problems?

xJib

The print out I have says that the Left is -0.3 and Right 2.6. Not sure what the measurements are in. As a less scientific measurement, on the drivers side I can’t slid the body of my swiss army knife between the wheel and the end of the sill, but can with a gap on the near side.

Another clue is that it doesn’t have the same make of tyre on the rear near side as the rest of the car, like the previous owner hit a big pot hole or something, but that’s only a guess.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
reckon that with that amount of toe the offside one is bent (and that would tie in with the new tyre)

New stub axle required (and stub axle bolts)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
it's not very hard if you DIY at all (all covered in haynes)

about an hours work all in if you have the tools to hand & the bolts aren't dry.

xJib said:
Is that going to be expensive? And is it a big job?

If you are really unlucky then the actual beam will be bent, but i suspect this is very unlikely!

when i ran my old 1.4 on 17's i bent the rear stubs about every 2 weeks (ok so curb hopping roundabouts didn't help either!) so i just went down the scrappies and unbolted a set from a car (remove the hub nut, take off drum, remove 4 bolts holding back plate and stub to axle. Easy 20min Job to change them, although as Mork says, squirt a bit of WD40 or similar on back of bolts if poss before you start.

If you clout the rear wheels on anything the tip of the sub axle bends, (has a large inner bearing and a poxy small outer one) this will eventually knacker the bearings too. (although mine did Daventry to Northampton before the rear wheel fell off turning into my drive :roflmao: )

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise