Reducing lag

Dec 31, 2005
London
yeah but not sure whether its enough of a problem, as you could hear when it would connect to the coilpack on C4 but just unplugging it wouldnt actually make it run any rougher, whereas the other cylinders make an obvious running on 3 cylinders kind of noise

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
would water/meth bring in power earlier, or just add higher power to current late power band?

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
somethings just occured to me.. where has the apexi tapped into for its rpm input? coil #4 perhaps?

IbizaAlex

AKS tuning
May 11, 2008
Bedford
Are there any wires attached to the coilpack wiring? The race car did the same thing the other day, but then it was just that the spark plug had died.

Dec 31, 2005
London
Are there any wires attached to the coilpack wiring? The race car did the same thing the other day, but then it was just that the spark plug had died.
Sorry for the poor quality pics, best I could get at moment

41.jpg

42.jpg

IbizaAlex

AKS tuning
May 11, 2008
Bedford
Looks much neater with that pipework :). Its hard to tell with the wiring. Peel back the 'insuting' tape to get a better look.

beattie17

Apr 12, 2005
Perth
Apexi wiring is all done up at the ecu (well mine was, got instructions off matt), only wire in bay is the one going to gearbox

Dec 31, 2005
London
Looks much neater with that pipework :). Its hard to tell with the wiring. Peel back the 'insuting' tape to get a better look.

Cheers, it's slowly getting there :)

It is really difficult to tell, i've taken a couple more pics but nothing seems to be wired into it, only suspect bit of wire showing is the blue one in the pic.

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

beattie17

Apr 12, 2005
Perth
if you follow apexi wiring from thru dash/bulkhead you'll see where the wire is going to either ecu or coilpack, the rev signal wire is coloured purple at apexi end (may be different colour if someone has extend it).

Dec 31, 2005
London
found out today that the car wasnt mapped with the apexi, and it was only wired up a couple weeks prior to me buying it so greig at total-vag is going to have a look at it for me.
does anyone know where i can get some instructions either posted or to download?

cupra_matt

Audi Technician
Dec 15, 2004
Carlisle
Nope, the Apexi was wired up by me years ago, all wired to ecu end of wiring, only vehicle speed to gearbox sensor enters the engine bay.

I dont think it will be anything to do with the apexi to be honest.

As far as lag goes, i have a 1.9T running a GT2871R now and the spool up is about exactly the same as the ibiza was, the apexi was plumbed into only weeks before derrick sold it. It was mapped with N75 plumbed in. Plumb it back in and recheck, i reckon it will be much better.

Apexi was left in purely as a gauge, and was originally installed to control the GT2X. I bet its not setup correctly, takes ages of fiddling to get them right, no need for it on your car.

What are the results of the compression check? if disconnecting the coil pack makes no difference to it, then its got to be down on compression on that cylinder in my opinion.

Dec 31, 2005
London
I havent been able to get to the garage yet, should be going next week, derrick said you wired it up a boost guage but he got it wired up as a boost controller from extreme performance not long before i bought it.
I think the lag is quite normal, I just wondered about ways to reduce it, i am finding my driving style is changing to suit it anyway!
It runs really fine under load and pulls very hard, its just on idle and crawling its lumpy.
It seems strange that when you unplug 4 it makes no noticeable sound but i think it revved like a bag of bones (bill can you confirm?) Whereas all the others you can tell straight away its running on 3 cylinders without revving.

cupra_matt

Audi Technician
Dec 15, 2004
Carlisle
Nope, I asure you the apexi was fully wired in, Boost control soleniod was simple not piped in to the wastegate actuator. So its not wiring related anyway.

I had a SLK in work a few weeks back with similar symtons, threw up missfire fault codes now and then, was slightly missy on idle but drove fine etc etc, disconnecting cyl 3 coil made no difference. Turned out to be a bent conrod.

I think it may be down on compression, i might be wrong, but its defo not a problem with apexi wiring.

Matt

Dec 31, 2005
London
I had a SLK in work a few weeks back with similar symtons, threw up missfire fault codes now and then, was slightly missy on idle but drove fine etc etc, disconnecting cyl 3 coil made no difference. Turned out to be a bent conrod.

:blink:

Hopefully it isnt that! isnt uprating the internals supposed to stop things like that happening

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
it revved like a car with forged internals... some small end noise, but thats pretty common and something like my ibiza has done from day one back in 2005.. and still runs 500+bhp

not a bag of bones, just a noiser small end noise. something else in #4 cyl is going on, so the sooner you get that compression test and leakdown done the sooner you will know for sure

Dec 31, 2005
London
bill i meant when it was revved without say coilpack 1 plugged in it missfired like it was obvious when revved, but i cant actually remember if it was like that when 4 was unplugged and revved.

getting the compression test done next week...

worst case scenario and i do have a bent rod or something like that is it going to be worth going 1.9 or can i buy a single rod and get it rebuilt?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.