Reference 2.0 TDI VS the FR 2.0 TDI DPF 170?

Nick G

Morning all,

I'm still looking for my perfect Leon at the moment, i've got up to £13,500 to spend and want to buy an FR, 08, with <20k Miles. There are quite a few around on Autotrader but i'm being picky now with options and ideally want to find one with Bluetooth, Heated Seats, MP3 input etc....

I've seen loads of Reference 2.0 TDI (140) with the nice BTCC kit and options, but what's the main difference to this and the FR?

Suspension?
Seats?

Is the 2.0TDI lump basically the same and therefore mappable to 170+ bhp?

Lee Edgecombe

Photoshop ;)
Mar 16, 2009
South Wales
obviously the main difference being the fr styling and the interior i think is very nice. I dont think the engines are the same cause the 170 is mappable up to about 210 bhp and i cant see the 140 gettin near that with just a map. I paid 13,300 for my 57 plate fr with 12k miles on it. Had the extras you want accept the heated seats, and that was a year ago so im sure you could get what you want for 13,500.

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland
the main differences are styling, interior and suspension, engine and performance wise the reference sports do not have the DPF and therefore will see better gains from standard with just a remap as the FR is restricted by the DPF within the exhaust. A mapped Reference Sport would probably out power a standard FR or at least be brought up to the same level but if you find an FR at the right money and upgrade fully with DPF removed and custom map then you have a well styled car that a 140 sport will be waving bye bye to as you pull off into the distance :wave:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members