Removing HIDS / replacing individual bulbs

Mastodon2

Feb 26, 2011
Newcastle
Hey guys, I've got a 2003 Leon Cupra R, fitted with HID lights by the previous owner. Unfortunately, I do not know the brand or output of the units. One of the bulbs has gone and my MOT is coming up soon. I have been meaning to change these HIDs back to good old fashioned bulbs for some time now, but I have been putting it off because I quite liked the HIDs. Though I know the halogen bulbs are shite on LCRs, I am thinking it might be less hassle just to give in and use them.

If I want to fit halogen bulbs again, do I need to remove the reflective ballasts of the HIDS (which I assume is the little cap that fits over the end of the bulb to prevent it from shining directly out of the light)? Is it is a difficult job to do this, and would it be hard to wire in regular bulbs again?

Failing that, if I am stuck with the damn things, is it possible to replace the bulbs themselves in HIDs? I don't want to go into a garage and get ripped off just to sort these damn things out, but at the same time I don't want to cause havoc under the bonnet by being cack-handed!

Any help would be much appreciated guys!

filbro

Jun 23, 2008
Derbyshire
just replace the HID bulbs. You can buy these as pairs without ballasts no issues. check e-bay.
they are plug and play.

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
If I want to fit halogen bulbs again, do I need to remove the reflective ballasts of the HIDS (which I assume is the little cap that fits over the end of the bulb to prevent it from shining directly out of the light)? Is it is a difficult job to do this, and would it be hard to wire in regular bulbs again?

No they are part of the standard headlight, just buy a pair of H7 hid bulbs in the colour of your choice i prefer 4300k

Mastodon2

Feb 26, 2011
Newcastle
Sweet, I need to get some of those bulbs asap then. I thought it would be a bit of a job to get rid of the HID kits, because then I would need to try and get some of those H7 connectors to fit normal halogens onto, and then stick it all together.

Hopefully changing the bulbs will do the trick, I will be unimpressed in a major fashion if I change the bulbs and it turns out the HID transformer thing itself is the problem!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members