Renewal meant to be 5% cheaper as stated in email... was actually £300 more expensive

Connorcupra94

Mar 13, 2013
Aberdeen
I got my renewal email yesterday and was told my insurance is 5% cheaper than last year... last year I paid £600, this year it is £900...... unsure how that is 5% cheaper lol. Just wondering if anyone can help as I have found much cheaper prices but ideally I'd rather stay with Adrian Flux to save the hassle of switching.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Morning.
My insurance was due at the beginning of the month and got my renewal note in april.
I wanted to put my hands up about the mods on my car so rang them and told em.
Their computer sead NO.
Which left me uninsured when my policy expired.
Against better judgement i was now forced into finding car insurance.

I just went on compare the market and within literally 5 minutes i had quotes about £150 cheaper than my renewal quote from my old company (not inc mods).
Im now paying less for insurance than road tax.
If youve got 5 minutes, just bite the bullet and try it.

Good luck.

Rich

Reactions: Connorcupra94

Connorcupra94

Mar 13, 2013
Aberdeen
Morning.
My insurance was due at the beginning of the month and got my renewal note in april.
I wanted to put my hands up about the mods on my car so rang them and told em.
Their computer sead NO.
Which left me uninsured when my policy expired.
Against better judgement i was now forced into finding car insurance.

I just went on compare the market and within literally 5 minutes i had quotes about £150 cheaper than my renewal quote from my old company (not inc mods).
Im now paying less for insurance than road tax.
If youve got 5 minutes, just bite the bullet and try it.

Good luck.

Rich
Really? that's poor, i've never had insurance turned away for mods and ive had modified cars all my life, except this one... so far.

They said in the email that they would match the price from other places (which are around £350-£400....) so hoping they can match the others and also get this discount from being part of the forum 🤞 if not, then i will be going somewhere else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rich.T

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
It was a suprise to me when i was turned down. Considering my age and ncd.
But as it happens, by turning me down it saved me a load of money 😁.
Dont be loyal to your insurance company, they wont lose any sleep about you going elsewhere. If they say they'll match other quotes, it begs the question as to why they didn't throw you a decent bone in the 1st place.

Connorcupra94

Mar 13, 2013
Aberdeen
Dont be loyal to your insurance company, they wont lose any sleep about you going elsewhere. If they say they'll match other quotes, it begs the question as to why they didn't throw you a decent bone in the 1st place.
Yeah i could imagine! that's why I cant get my head round the £900, granted it's a Cupra but an estate family car none the less, being 27 and 7 or 8 years NCD. Absolute madness. I paid this for my 2010 Leon Cupra R when i was 20 with all mods declared! its madness.
Very true, didn't think of it like that to be honest haha. I'm offshore at the moment and its not due until I'm home so i can sort it properly when I'm home, proper infuriates me the prices some places charge for insurance.

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
When you searched, did you reply “yes” to the question “have you ever been refused insurance”? I suspect not :)

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
I dont remember seeing that question to be honest.
If i did answer the question, theres no reason for me to deny it is there?
Why would you suspect not?

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
Was always under the impression that the question about being refused for insurance was to do with the person, not the vehicle

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
The chap on the phone sead the under writers dont like insuring cars with modified exhausts (in his experience dealing with them).
Pinch of salt to me. Just spured me on to search for another company.
Been with them for about 5 years so i was probably on the loyal customer rate by that point lol.

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
Been with them for about 5 years so i was probably on the loyal customer rate by that point lol.
Ha, there is no loyalty customer rate it just goes up every year. Now I don't accept the renewal on our cars I check a comparison site (only well known named insurers) then tackle the renewal on the phone. There's usually a "If you're thinking of leaving us press *" option.

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
Going forward you won’t need to do that, as the law has changed, and requires your renewal quote to be no more than if you were to be a new customer, thereby making sure your loyalty, or rather inertia, isn’t penalised by continually rising costs. Unintended consequence, all those cheap introductory offers which people take advantage of by hopping insurer every year will be no more.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Forum Sponsor
Sep 27, 2016
I got my renewal email yesterday and was told my insurance is 5% cheaper than last year... last year I paid £600, this year it is £900...... unsure how that is 5% cheaper lol. Just wondering if anyone can help as I have found much cheaper prices but ideally I'd rather stay with Adrian Flux to save the hassle of switching.

Hi Connor,

Sorry to learn of your issues with the renewal through ourselves. I'd like to investigate why the renewal has gone up so much as this isn't commonplace. If you could message me your full name / postcode and I can look into.

Thanks,

Dan

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Forum Sponsor
Sep 27, 2016
Hi again Connor,

I've just heard back from a renewals colleague and they've advised that the renewal rate hasn't increased - you did a change of vehicle mid-term and the new premium was £743 and the renewal rate is £700.

I can go back to our renewals guy if you've had cheaper - what sort of prices you had elsewhere?

Thanks,

Dan

Connorcupra94

Mar 13, 2013
Aberdeen
Hi Dan,

Thanks for looking into this.
Ive just checked how much i was altogether payments the past year and my original amount paid was £644 in June 2020 then a further £70 in April 2021, which would be £714 altogether (My mistake from the £600, forgot about extra charge when changing vehicle).

I have had quotes of around the £350 - £450 mark from other companies, the ones nearer £450 have extras that the £350 ones dont have.

Cheers

Connor

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members