Replacement lock only unlocks after four keyfob presses...

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
I need to stop posting my random questions in the 'what have you done...' thread, so here we are.

Fitted my replacement nearside rear lock on Thursday, and when I tested it on the day, it locked and unlocked as normal with two presses of the keyfob. I checked yesterday and it wouldn't open after two presses, but if I pressed the fob another two times, it did unlock.

I'm not really worried about the lock, as it does unlock consistently, but I'd prefer it does it with two presses, like every other door in the car.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? How did you fix it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
If a wiring fault has been eliminated as a possibility then it is either not the correct lock for the car or it is faulty. Either way, replacement is the correct solution.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Sorry for the slow reply - was away for the weekend and have only been able to check the car now.

It was definitely the correct lock that was sent - after fixing the offside rear one recently, I'm much more familiar with them than I should be... o_O

I went out this afternoon and did a few checks. If I use the button in the driver's door, it's the same story - press once and while the offside door unlocks, the nearside door doesn't. Press it again though, and it unlocks fine.

What surprised me though was that when I moved the car, when I parked up and locked the car, I decided to unlock it again with the double press, and the door unlocked as normal. When I locked it again and then tried to unlock it with the double press, it didn't unlock, and I had to do it again for it to open.

I can hear the motor working in the door, but it's noticeably louder when I press the keyfob twice again, and that's when the door unlocks.

Always a possibility that the lock is faulty, but the thought of having to take it out again is just doing my head in...

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Sounds like one of those things that might magically work if you try re-pairing the key / using the manual lock / disconnecting the battery / generally faffing with all combinations.

Or can you reset it in VAG COM?

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Sounds like one of those things that might magically work if you try re-pairing the key / using the manual lock / disconnecting the battery / generally faffing with all combinations.

Or can you reset it in VAG COM?
I'm going to try that - I've been in and out of the car so much this past week or so, moving the car short distances, locking and unlocking, lights on all the time, that sort of thing, and yesterday the battery was struggling to turn the engine over, so I'm going to charge the battery today and then try re-pairing the key etc. tomorrow.

I've got VCDS Lite but haven't done a scan recently as that tends to drain the battery too. I'll give that a go next week when I don't have early morning meetings to get to... The thought of trying to turn the engine over and having a flat battery when I need to be miles away is not high on my to-do list...

Reactions: Alexis27

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
So the lock that wasn't unlocking properly has decided to start unlocking once I got a replacement sent through the post.

I'm sure that the moment I send it back, it'll stop working again...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: Alexis27
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.