Replacement side mount intercooler

SalSheikh

Under the Hood
Sep 2, 2009
Midlands, UK
guys, fitted the smic today. is nice and shiny and heavy. the fogs just about fit due to the width and the plastic cowling that was with the oem smic no longer fits.

pic
26022011387.jpg

not had a chance to drive the car today but will report back when i do...

oldskool

Sal, how did you get on? How does it feel in comparison to the stock intercooler?

therench

Jun 15, 2010
what was the outcome then? is it worth the upgrade or pay extra £70 or so and get fmic?

SalSheikh

Under the Hood
Sep 2, 2009
Midlands, UK
if you can and the price is reasonable then i would get a fmic but if they are expensive and your on a budge then i recommend this one.

SalSheikh

Under the Hood
Sep 2, 2009
Midlands, UK
straight swap mate, everything fits into place as it should. one thing to note, as its a wider smic, your fogs may just fit. i know mine just did. you will lose the plastic cowling that goes around the oem smic though.

bo!

Oct 12, 2012
Hi.this is an old thread but is directed to those that have fitted uprated smic.i have recently fitted a direnza uprated smic of ebay due to the oe side mount leaking.my Q are once fitting the uprated smic it does feel a little laggy on initial boost. And also sounds different when the turbo is spooling up is this usual did anyone notice this also?.

bo!

Oct 12, 2012
Yea i also thought the same but have checked all hoses and clamps but havent found anything. When you fitted your sidemount mookster did it sound any different at all.?

mookster

May 29, 2010
Not from memory but it was a couple of years ago now and the brain isn't what it used to be! Also lag did seem to reduce but TBH I only fitted it to reduce inlet temps so that is what I concentrated on and it did drop them by a couple of degrees.