Respray new colour?

SSimpson3

Sep 1, 2008
Insch, Aberdeenshire
Hi,

We have been thinking of getting the Leon resprayed in Audi Sprint blue as we think thats the nicest colour ever, what do you think nice or not???

My partner works for an Autobody so would hopefully get a good price, it would definatly make the Leon stand out from the crowd, thats for sure

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Hi,

We have been thinking of getting the Leon resprayed in Audi Sprint blue as we think thats the nicest colour ever, what do you think nice or not???

My partner works for an Autobody so would hopefully get a good price, it would definatly make the Leon stand out from the crowd, thats for sure

imho , it would damage your resale value , unless you resprayed all the door shuts and engine bay ect.

jdearden

Not actually lowering the value in anyway..in fact could increase it..however you are decreasing the number of potential buyers. If you do it get it done professionally, I think that SEAT's paint is the worse out there. The colours are good but the quality of the paint itself and the application is of a very poor standard.

It's the thinest coat of paint I've ever experienced!

Go for it!

Daffy

Detail Wizard
May 29, 2007
Not actually lowering the value in anyway..in fact could increase it..however you are decreasing the number of potential buyers. If you do it get it done professionally, I think that SEAT's paint is the worse out there. The colours are good but the quality of the paint itself and the application is of a very poor standard.

It's the thinest coat of paint I've ever experienced!

Go for it!

AG paint is in noway thin and pretty much follows the German car norm of about 120 microns. Jap paint is the thinest by far and is one way the cut costs, not unusal for Jap paint to be well below 100 microns.
Modern paints are now water based and you will see that most cars have very bad orange peel effect finish to their paint. The Leon is not the best but is by no means the worst.
One good thing about VAG paint though is it is rock hard unlike Jap which is the softest and other manufacturers fall in between the two.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Bad idea IMO.....

Nothing to do with the colour either.

How long you keeping the car for?

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
AG paint is in noway thin and pretty much follows the German car norm of about 120 microns. Jap paint is the thinest by far and is one way the cut costs, not unusal for Jap paint to be well below 100 microns.
Modern paints are now water based and you will see that most cars have very bad orange peel effect finish to their paint. The Leon is not the best but is by no means the worst.
One good thing about VAG paint though is it is rock hard unlike Jap which is the softest and other manufacturers fall in between the two.

SEAT paint is soft mate , mk1,s were known for really soft paint , mk2,s not that much better :(

Daffy

Detail Wizard
May 29, 2007
SEAT paint is soft mate , mk1,s were known for really soft paint , mk2,s not that much better :(

The Leon paint is certainly not soft. I have detailed several and the only Seat I have worked on that had soft paint was a resprayed Beezar and that wasn't exactly Jap soft. Seats are know on DW for having hard paint so not sure why you would think it was soft. Soft in comparison to what? What are you comparing it too, boulders or house bricks?

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
The Leon paint is certainly not soft. I have detailed several and the only Seat I have worked on that had soft paint was a resprayed Beezar and that wasn't exactly Jap soft. Seats are know on DW for having hard paint so not sure why you would think it was soft. Soft in comparison to what? What are you comparing it too, boulders or house bricks?

soft as in softer than my other cars i have owned , seats are known for soft paint , as i said before mk1,s were terible and mk2 is not much better , may depend on what colour you have though.

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire

soft as in softer than my other cars i have owned , seats are known for soft paint , as i said before mk1,s were terible and mk2 is not much better , may depend on what colour you have though.

Never heard that before. My Mk1 was just as hard as the Mk2. Modern VAG cars are know to have hard paint. Have you ever machine polished a VAG car compared to a Honda for example???

NickP

Apr 23, 2003
Colchester, Essex
Visit site
Never heard that before. My Mk1 was just as hard as the Mk2. Modern VAG cars are know to have hard paint. Have you ever machine polished a VAG car compared to a Honda for example???

Ditto :)

Just because a paint chips, doesn't necessarily mean it's 'soft' - as said above if you've tried polishing a VAG car with a DA or Rotary you wouldn't call the paint soft :)

EoinM

By the time you're finished doing a thorough job on your current car it wouldn't be a million miles away from the cost of just buying a new sprint blue one IMHO. If you just do the outer panels it just looks s:whistle:t

jdearden

Well all I know is my Black magic leon is looking more like a cow by the day with all the black coming off here and there when my cotton t-shirt brushes it

jdearden

crossed my mind mate too, just for paint protection purposes. tried a quote from racoon, sure I got a bit of a crazy quote for the whole car to be done. But i suppose when you come to peel it off in 3 years time or whatever the paint will be as it was.