Reverse - close parking to wall

Cvpra

Mar 11, 2023
This is an odd one so bear with me.

How do you reverse park to get as close as possible (not as close as Cupra wants you) to say a wall?

In reverse using the parking sensors/camera the car stops itself as it thinks your going to hit it.

So, I found myself letting the car sit in neutral and let it slowly free wheel back which wasn’t ideal.

I know some of you may never need to do this but just wondered what the options are.

Does turning off the parking sensors stop the auto brake?

thanks

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
On the Leon, you can turn off the auto braking (I only just learned this recently myself). It’s called manoeuvre braking and it’s a toggle under the Parking Assist menu (IIRC).

Reactions: Cvpra

Andy.M

Mar 20, 2022
I think if you reverse with your foot lightly on the brake pedal it cancels out the emergency braking feature as it assumes you are under control.
I learnt this through a couple of times reversing into my space the brakes came on so hard I thought I'd hit something. Since I've just crept backward with the brake pressed enough for the brake lights to illuminate its never happened.
Of course this only applies to auto gear boxes!

Reactions: Fencer60 and Cvpra

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
Free wheeling without throttle is how you are supposed to creep. This along with you controlling the brake allows you to very slowly creep forward or backward. I'm not sure if the car would apply emergency brake in that situation, but I've been able to park in some really tight spaces using that technique.

That being said I think the car can auto parallel park really well.

Nov 17, 2022
I find if when it automatically stops itself just a light pressure on the brake pedal and push the handbrake down as if you were releasing it when starting your journey bypasses it.

pivko11

Jun 9, 2022
This is an odd one so bear with me.

How do you reverse park to get as close as possible (not as close as Cupra wants you) to say a wall?

In reverse using the parking sensors/camera the car stops itself as it thinks your going to hit it.

So, I found myself letting the car sit in neutral and let it slowly free wheel back which wasn’t ideal.

I know some of you may never need to do this but just wondered what the options are.

Does turning off the parking sensors stop the auto brake?

thanks
If you go slow enough, the car will not brake automatically and even allow you to touch the wall.
The only issue is if you have auto hold engaged, sometimes the car will engage the auto hold even if you did not fully stop.
In these cases I simply disengage the auto hold function when parking.

Also, auto braking will engage if your speed when parking is too high and so it thinks you will hit something. It happened to me couple times. Once when reversing in a space that is sloped up and the sensors detected the sloped pavement. Because I was reversing a bit faster it braked.
The other case was when reversing in a yard where there was lots of tall grass. Car braked abruptly. When reversing slowly it just drove through it.

I would not disengage the manoeuvre braking. It will sometimes engage for nothing, but one time it may save your car. A friend of mine almost backed up in a concrete slab, but the auto brake saved him from significant damage.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.