Revo Stage 2 GPF on a FWD 290 anyone had it done that can give me an honest review?

Jenko

Sep 9, 2019
Hello,

After selling my CUPRA R and having a brief but very expensive love affair with an Alfa Guilia QV I've returned to the Seat brand and have brought myself a FWD 290lux. Ive been running the Revo Stage 1 with the carbon intake for a couple of months now and love it, I did get the lower torque mount done but the REVO one literally fell apart after a couple of days so had to revert that back to stock for a while. The question is does anyone have the 290 with the Revo Stage 2 GPF already? Im just keen to get honest reviews weather its worth the extra money and how it actually handles the power and puts it down. Obviously its FWD so it will struggle but just want honest opinions of how it is. Sorry if this has already been discussed, I couldn't find anything about anyone having it already fitted and an honest review.

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Hopefully someone will be able to help you.
Why did you sell your R (ST) ??

Whilst not directly answering your question, I’ve got an R ST with Revo GPF Stg1, MST elbow and hose, stock airbox with Afe cotton filter, Revo carbon air scoop, Custom Avon tuning DSG stage 1, Revo intercooler (not extra pipes), stock conti tyres

I go out with a Golf R, Revo GPF Stg2, Full Revo carbon intake, TVS stg2+ DSG, Revo intercooler and boost pipes, Remus exhaust, back seats stripped, PS4’s.

Cars are virtually neck and neck, the Golf has a tad faster acceleration up to around 3rd/4th gear, then they are level pegging.
But the difference is negligible.
If we both floor it from a start and accelerate up to top speed the Golf is maybe 1 -2 car lengths ahead, and that is only the initial gain it has in first couple of gears.
If he’s behind me and we gun it, it’s not enough power to ever actually overtake me.

For the extra money and requirements (boost pipes for eg) and the fact it’s running higher boost so more turbo stress, and you *need* a DSG tune, for me it nowhere near worth it.

Sorry not a direct answer to your question, but maybe some help.

Reactions: CupraRST

Jenko

Sep 9, 2019

Whilst not directly answering your question, I’ve got an R ST with Revo GPF Stg1, MST elbow and hose, stock airbox with Afe cotton filter, Revo carbon air scoop, Custom Avon tuning DSG stage 1, Revo intercooler (not extra pipes), stock conti tyres

I go out with a Golf R, Revo GPF Stg2, Full Revo carbon intake, TVS stg2+ DSG, Revo intercooler and boost pipes, Remus exhaust, back seats stripped, PS4’s.

Cars are virtually neck and neck, the Golf has a tad faster acceleration up to around 3rd/4th gear, then they are level pegging.
If we both floor it from a start and accelerate up to top speed the Golf is maybe 1 -2 car lengths ahead, and that is only the initial gain it has in first couple of gears.
If he’s behind me and we gun it, it’s not enough power to ever actually overtake me.

For the extra money and requirements (boost pipes for eg) and the fact it’s running higher boost so more turbo stress, and you *need* a DSG tune, for me it nowhere near worth it.

Hello,
Thanks for the reply. I was tempted by the Guilia just always wanted one had that mapped and took it on a couple of track days loved it but cost wayyyy too much to run. I did love my R kinda wishing I just kept it.

Jenko

Sep 9, 2019
Hello,

update I decided to do it anyway and went revo stage 2 with the new TCU software, also revo wheels (better tyres too) big brake kit and lowering springs. If anyones interested I’ll do a little review with facts and figures. Going on the dyno this week and I’ve got a draggy so can put up stock stage 1 and stage 2 results.

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
Hello,

update I decided to do it anyway and went revo stage 2 with the new TCU software, also revo wheels (better tyres too) big brake kit and lowering springs. If anyones interested I’ll do a little review with facts and figures. Going on the dyno this week and I’ve got a draggy so can put up stock stage 1 and stage 2 results.
Would love to see before and after results timed 0-60 100 etc.

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Yeah mate very interested in hearing your thoughts on this and particularly the TCU tune from Revo
I’m thinking of having that myself !

Jenko

Sep 9, 2019
The attached are 100-200 runs when the car was completely stock and had 97ron fuel and stage 1 with the revo carbon services air intake on 99 Ron. I haven’t managed to get up the airfield in the dry with stage 2 on yet but I’ll put that 100-200 time up when I do. I have the FWD 290 Lux so I do have the 0-60 times but to be honest there’s a couple of tens between the two as it really struggled to put the power down, (when I had stage 1 there were no other handling upgrades like suspension or tyres).I’m yet to properly push the car since being stage 2 and probably won’t get it on track till early next year. But from my first 100 miles with it, you certinaly notice the extra mid range torque. As expected if you just try and mash your foot to the floor in first or second don’t expect much forward momentum to occur 🤣. Strange as it sounds it’s actually nicer to drive normally than stage 1, the TCU software makes the gear changes smoother and faster even in everyday commuting. I had the APR TCU software on my R ST and that felt like it was banging it into gear every time in comparison. Once I’ve had the dyno done and got some dragy times in I’ll put a proper stage 2 review up, but so far very happy with it. And a noticeable difference over stage 1, espically with the smooth TCU software

Attachments

• CC08E527-C3DA-45B1-8E38-0C7D6C6B0362.png
    CC08E527-C3DA-45B1-8E38-0C7D6C6B0362.png
    239.7 KB · Views: 384
  • B5A1E3AA-016F-4C3B-A21F-5FA3CB820D58.png
    B5A1E3AA-016F-4C3B-A21F-5FA3CB820D58.png
    199.6 KB · Views: 394
Reactions: adam davies

CupraRST

Feb 25, 2020
NL

That was an interesting test, with an unexpected result!
One question that comes to mind: Were both cars driven with the same quality fuel, and also tuned for using that fuel?

A bit off topic: Does the REVO intercooler fit without needing modifications to the car?

Last edited:

Jenko

Sep 9, 2019
One question that comes to mind: Were both cars driven with the same quality fuel, and also tuned for using that fuel?

A bit of topic: Does the REVO intercooler fit without needing modifications to the car?
Some slight cutting is required on the 290 to make the intercooler fit, nothing bad tho.

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk

A bit of topic: Does the REVO intercooler fit without needing modifications to the car?
Both cars run on 99 and have the Revo tune for this fuel.
We’ve been out a few times now, there’s nothing in at after around 3rd gear, before that initially the stage 2 one pulls ever so slightly as described in my other post.
Obviously not a scientific test and 2 seperate cars so who knows what else is going on.

Now the Revo TCU is out I’m tempted to get the Stg2 ECU, purely to get the discounted TCU. However I can’t be fussed installing the big boost pipe kit… wonder if they are actually needed ?
(The custom DSG tune I have is ok, for torque limiter removal and faster shifts, but it retains stock shift points so driveability is still abit rough like stock choice of gear etc )

Jenko can give us some real data on the same car so his comparison will be better

re the Intercooler only some slight cutting to some plastic but minimal

Jenko

Sep 9, 2019
So this was on a very cold wet greasey runway with the car spinning in third, I would guess it’s got at least another 0.5-0.75 better time in it when there’s actually some traction but if you look at all the 120-200 times that’s probably a better comparison as it had pretty much stopped spinning by 120.
Again when it’s dry and not raining I’ll get a fair test done. should hopefully be going on the dyno on Wednesday 👍🏻

Attachments

• AEDAD231-66F3-4794-AF65-4A60F46E059E.png
    AEDAD231-66F3-4794-AF65-4A60F46E059E.png
    395.9 KB · Views: 237

Jenko

Sep 9, 2019
Had the car dynoed today, to say I’m a little disappointed is an understatement. And from the looks of it, pulling timing all over the place.
The car has only even been run on 99 Ron since mapped, nothing wrong with the car, no error messages ect. The dyno cell wasn’t hot and they tried different tensions on the straps to see if it made a difference, it didn’t. It was dynoed at dyno developments, they make dynos there.
The bloke was very helpful and tried several runs for about an hour to get a better result but that was the best of the day.
The place I got all the work done have been very helpful but REVO want to do some tests. I know dyno results aren’t everything and can vary massively but being 40-70bhp down over quoted is a bit low for me, espically as it’s lower than what they quote for the bottom end of stage 1!.
the car does fell quicker to drive than stage 1 but the torque is around the 500nm so it could just be that?

Attachments

• E7DC2500-D49A-40BE-83C9-9F8C6B2672B7.jpeg
    E7DC2500-D49A-40BE-83C9-9F8C6B2672B7.jpeg
    473.8 KB · Views: 352

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Hmmm very strange results this.
Hope you can get this sorted out at Revo HQ.

500nm Is the stage 1 cap isn’t it ?

Jenko

Sep 9, 2019
Hmmm very strange results this.
Hope you can get this sorted out at Revo HQ.

500nm Is the stage 1 cap isn’t it ?
I hope so too, and yeh it is. I had the REVO TSU tune too 🤷‍♂️. I mean it doesn’t feel slow and it is quicker in the limited tests I’ve been able to do. Hopefully I’ll have an update by the end of the week

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
I’m sure someone on here had a similar issue after either a Revo or Racingline remap in their Cupra, not dynoing properly or giving the expected figures (on a dyno day)

They took the car to HQ of the tuners and they sorted it right out.
It was something to do with the the ECU being a slightly different revision of I recall.

Maybe it’s something like this

@Damo H was this you ?? (Sorry to keep tagging you in stuff :) )

Jenko

Sep 9, 2019
Well I’ve just been advised that the data logging was fine and to try two other dynos? And compare the three? Obviously at my expense. In fairness to the garage that fitted it all there’s not much they can do but going to call REVO direct again tomorrow. And see what they say

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
Well I’ve just been advised that the data logging was fine and to try two other dynos? And compare the three? Obviously at my expense. In fairness to the garage that fitted it all there’s not much they can do but going to call REVO direct again tomorrow. And see what they say
Bit of a fob off by revo in my opinion. They can see the figure for horsepower is way down. But in their defence, if you had base run for stock and stage 1 you could eliminate it being a hardware fault then it must be software related.

Jenko

Sep 9, 2019
Bit of a fob off by revo in my opinion. They can see the figure for horsepower is way down. But in their defence, if you had base run for stock and stage 1 you could eliminate it being a hardware fault then it must be software related.
There’s only the intercooler and pipes that have been added since stage 1, it wasn’t over heating and no error messages and no issues when driving.
I mean it does feel quicker and certainly you can feel a lot more mid range torque and the gearbox software is much better, it just doesn’t have as much BHP or torque as they say it should do. The car at stage 1 was doing sub 10 seconds on the 100-200 on a dry day with good track surface which for a GPF car is ok so I don’t think it’s because I’ve got a weak engine or anything.
oh well see what they say.
either way I’m happy with how it drives and it’s fast enough. I just don’t want there to be something wrong with the software and end up causing damage.

Jenko

Sep 9, 2019
So slight update, been on two other dynos now and results are a bit better. Second dyno (2 wheel dyno) 330bhp peak but 570nm, and third dyno also 2 wheel dyno 342bhp with 568nm.
I’ve been up the runway a few times in the dry and best I can manage 100-200 in is 9.29, still with a tiny bit of wheel spin in third but I honestly don’t think it would make under 9 seconds even in ideal conditions. Car is on the 99ron file and only ever has esso 99+ in it or vpower. it’s lowered by 20mm with revo wheels and PS4s all round.
REVO have data logged the car and are happy with the data, just been told all dynos are different and numbers arnt everything.
Real world driving it’s within the times of what it should be 100-200 ect.
So big question would I do it again or recommend GPF stage 2.
Honest anwser probably not in the FWD format, I would definitely recommend getting the gearbox software as that makes the car so much more responsive and smoother to drive.
I think the main thing from stage 1 to 2 in the GPF cars is there is quite a big increase in torque espically in the midrange and to get the most out of this you really need it in an AWD set up.
So would the 2.8k or whatever is it now from stage 1 to 2 worth it in that format, I’d say probably yes. Is it worth it in the FWD cupra or club sport honestly probably not. Don’t get me wrong I always knew being FWD it won’t make the most of the extra performance and will have traction issues but I thought there would be a bit more of a jump in top end power than there was.
I suppose to put it in figures the just over 2k extra it cost me from stage 1 (I already had the intake) has given me probably an extra 10-15bhp a good 80nm more of torque and taken about 0.75 of a second off the 100-200 times.
I do love my car and I am happy with how it drives, I’m sure it will be fun to throw around the track next year and I don’t regret splashing the extra on stage 2.
I think if considering it for your own car to remember it’s not a “proper” stage 2 and you won’t see the performance of a pre GPF car. (Although it will still, just about pull away from an M2 comp)
Honest opinion for the FWD set up. Get an intake with the revo stage 1 99 Ron file and the gearbox software. It handles the power and torque well enough and is a massive jump from the stock car.

Reactions: Slickric21

Stefan147

Jan 29, 2019
Athens Greece
So I did a thing about a week ago. I went Revo stage 2. I was overthinking this from the day I bought the Cupra (2wd opf) mainly due the fact that I couldn't be sure of how it would handle the extra power. To be honest nothing has changed much in terms of traction. You have to be just as cautious with acceleration as in stock form.

Needless to say that the car is transformed especially above 100-120kmh. I will be back with some Dragy times when I get the chance to do some measurements and I suspect low 10"s even high 9"s 100-200kph. The built in "dyno" now shows 300kw and almost 1.6bars of boost.

As for supporting mods I only got a K&N filter and a pickey R600 (usual stock airbox modifications). I also reset the DSG and VAQ basic settings with VCDS because I thought it would be a good idea to start fresh learning of the new situation. Now I'm thinking whether I should listen to Revo and upgrade the intercooler and the pipes or leave them stock. I do take the car to an occasional (non-competitive) track day but in general I am very careful with warming it up or cooling it down and I rarely ask for repeated and long accelerations. Especially in the Greek summer I almost never push the car to its limits even in stock form.

Reactions: queen
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.