Revo Stage 2 GPF on a FWD 290 anyone had it done that can give me an honest review?

Stefan147

Jan 29, 2019
Athens Greece
As expected.

Screenshot_20220313-144243_dragy.jpg

Jenko

Sep 9, 2019
That seems quite slow for a stage 2 car, mine was doing that at stage 1?

Jenko

Sep 9, 2019
I had the 290 GPF model and had the revo GPF stage 2 (again not old fashioned stage 2) but still required the intercooler upgrade the throttle and charge pipes arnt required but recommended. The quicket that car would do a 100-200 was 9.2 even with a full tank and two passangers was 9.6. Although that was on the 99 Ron file. If you’ve got the 95 or 97 Ron file it makes quite a big difference.

Stefan147

Jan 29, 2019
Athens Greece
I got the 97ron file (which here in Greece is called 100ron as we got 95, 98 and 100ron fuel). I can definitely see the car doing high 9s with no or negative but still valid slope but 9.2" is way less. Did you also have a tcu tune? I'm stock tcu and the car really needs a box tune but my sw is still unavailable at Revo. I also got a set of Do88 pipes for the stock cooler as I feel the standard rubber pipes expand on high boost and create lag (but that might be just me).

In general the car performs as a 370-400hp car though. I will have it dyno'd soon and I will also dragy it with the new 18" wheels which must be a little bit faster as well.

Jenko

Sep 9, 2019
I got the 97ron file (which here in Greece is called 100ron as we got 95, 98 and 100ron fuel). I can definitely see the car doing high 9s with no or negative but still valid slope but 9.2" is way less. Did you also have a tcu tune? I'm stock tcu and the car really needs a box tune but my sw is still unavailable at Revo. I also got a set of Do88 pipes for the stock cooler as I feel the standard rubber pipes expand on high boost and create lag (but that might be just me).

In general the car performs as a 370-400hp car though. I will have it dyno'd soon and I will also dragy it with the new 18" wheels which must be a little bit faster as well.
Yes I had the TCU tune too which I found to be very good. I’m pretty sure it will be because you don’t have the upgraded intercooler, worth getting it dynoed and data logged tho.

queen

~Nassia~
Nov 29, 2010
Athens, Greece
So went to revo stage 2 from revo stage 1 a few days ago, also got the tcu tune. I don't know if the car is still adapting but I'm not very impressed. The tcu tune is an improvement over the stock tune but marginally not sure if it's worth the extra €€, got it mostly for the increased clamping pressure to protect the clutches from slip/wear etc.
Now as far as the ecu tune goes, brake boost is fun and yes there is an improvement in midrange rpm but just there.
Hubby and I also have a stock a45s amg and we race the leon against it to check for any gains. At stage 1 we were neck and neck from 80kph up to 220kph, now with stage 2 I jump about half a fender, at 200 he's next to me and at 220 he's about half a car in front. :wtf:
Infotainment boost gauge shows same 300kw power, an increase in boost 1.8 bars compared to 1.6 as stage 1 but I don't see where that extra 0.2 bars goes I think it's maybe just heat as now my oil temp hangs above 100°C compared to max 94-95°C as stage 1. All in all stage 2 is slower that stage 1. :poop:
I'll give it a few more days and race again but I'm seriously considering getting a different tune. 😠

Reactions: Stefan147

Stefan147

Jan 29, 2019
Athens Greece
Well it's not the best season for this kind of tests. I went for stg2 from the beginning so I can't tell if it is worth it compared to stg1. Only dragy can tell us the truth I guess.

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
So went to revo stage 2 from revo stage 1 a few days ago, also got the tcu tune. I don't know if the car is still adapting but I'm not very impressed. The tcu tune is an improvement over the stock tune but marginally not sure if it's worth the extra €€, got it mostly for the increased clamping pressure to protect the clutches from slip/wear etc.
Now as far as the ecu tune goes, brake boost is fun and yes there is an improvement in midrange rpm but just there.
Hubby and I also have a stock a45s amg and we race the leon against it to check for any gains. At stage 1 we were neck and neck from 80kph up to 220kph, now with stage 2 I jump about half a fender, at 200 he's next to me and at 220 he's about half a car in front. :wtf:
Infotainment boost gauge shows same 300kw power, an increase in boost 1.8 bars compared to 1.6 as stage 1 but I don't see where that extra 0.2 bars goes I think it's maybe just heat as now my oil temp hangs above 100°C compared to max 94-95°C as stage 1. All in all stage 2 is slower that stage 1. :poop:
I'll give it a few more days and race again but I'm seriously considering getting a different tune. 😠
What intercooler do you have ?

queen

~Nassia~
Nov 29, 2010
Athens, Greece
Well it's not the best season for this kind of tests. I went for stg2 from the beginning so I can't tell if it is worth it compared to stg1. Only dragy can tell us the truth I guess.
I agree, a turbo car is never going to pull in hot weather like it does in cold weather, let alone Greek summer. I do believe the car will do better in the winter.
However, the races I mentioned took place a week apart at exactly the same place with pretty much the same conditions.
What intercooler do you have ?
Do88 with stock boost pipes.

Reactions: Slickric21

queen

~Nassia~
Nov 29, 2010
Athens, Greece
Did a couple of races against the amg yesterday to see if the tune required some more time for adaptation like I mentioned in my previous post.

First one from 90kph up to 220kph, this time I jumped less than half a fender and at 200 he caught up and started to creep away. It may look like I did marginally worse than the previous stage 2 run but we're talking minimal differences, it'd be down to driver reaction etc.

We did another run this time from 55kph (I had warmed up the semi slicks on the leon so I had no disadvantage against the awd amg) up to 160kph. I immediately started creeping away, at 160 I was 1 car in front and still creeping away although not as hard as at the start of the run. It looked like I'd have eventually stopped gaining on him and then he should've started creeping up.

The reason why we also raced at a lower speed was to see if what we discussed earlier regarding intake temps had any effect on the tune's performance and with that said we were expecting better performance due to lower temps and I guess we were proven right. Note this wasn't the first time we raced from 55, we'd tried in the past on stage 1, few days before going stage 2 (I had already fitted the do88 ic), and he started creeping away at 100.

All in all with stage 2 compared to stage 1 the car is faster at lower speeds and up to about 170, after that (I believe due to increased temps) stage 1 is actually better. It may seem like it doesn't make much sense but maybe it does, as it must be down to how the tune is configured to protect the engine while providing some gains over stage 1. Several sensors have to monitor that oil temp, egt, intake temps etc are between certain thresholds and once those are met the car can put out 400hp. I strongly believe that this will never be possible at greek summer night temps and this has been largely proven by both previous races. Good thing is that stage 2 was only 250eur as it was an upgrade over stage 1 and for that money it's worth it. If I decide to stay with revo until winter it will be very interesting to try another race at winter temps to see if my assumption is correct.

Reactions: Stefan147

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Very interesting write up.

Id agree with your summary the Stage 2 is better than 1 at lower speed, but the same or even worse at higher speeds.

Read my posts on the previous page with my experience in my Cupra R ST Revo Stage 1 GPF vs Golf R Revo Stage 2 GPF.

Having said this, do you think the fact you are running stock boost pipes is limiting you in some way ?
Revo clearly state upgraded boost pipes are a prerequisite for their GPF stage 2 ?

Reactions: queen

queen

~Nassia~
Nov 29, 2010
Athens, Greece
Very interesting write up.

Id agree with your summary the Stage 2 is better than 1 at lower speed, but the same or even worse at higher speeds.

Read my posts on the previous page with my experience in my Cupra R ST Revo Stage 1 GPF vs Golf R Revo Stage 2 GPF.

Having said this, do you think the fact you are running stock boost pipes is limiting you in some way ?
Revo clearly state upgraded boost pipes are a prerequisite for their GPF stage 2 ?
Thank you.

Maybe, tbh I hadn’t realized that the boost pipes were a prerequisite for stage 2. I was planning on fitting them at some point just to have the setup completed so to speak. Knowing that now, I’ll have them fitted soon.
I was waiting for do88 to release their boost pipe kit (as what they have now on their site doesn’t fit vehicles with dq381 dsg) but I did a bit of research and found that Revo pipes are compatible with the do88 ic. I’ll contact my local Revo dealer and will arrange the fitment. After that I‘ll do another run and report back. However I’m not holding my breath, I believe the improvement will be negligible, if any.

queen

~Nassia~
Nov 29, 2010
Athens, Greece
Did a few runs and tried launch control last weekend. Had a passenger, full tank, it was a very humid night and the road was semi wet.

dragy.png

I don't think it's that bad considering the weather (I do have semislicks though), I really like the 0-100(1ft) time. I think with better weather a straight 5 without passengers is doable? :unsure:
Still trying to find a nice straight to run a valid 100-200kph and 1/4 mile.

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Did a few runs and tried launch control last weekend. Had a passenger, full tank, it was a very humid night and the road was semi wet.

View attachment 33304

I don't think it's that bad considering the weather (I do have semislicks though), I really like the 0-100(1ft) time. I think with better weather a straight 5 without passengers is doable? :unsure:
Still trying to find a nice straight to run a valid 100-200kph and 1/4 mile.
I doubt the passenger will make any difference to a 0-60 on a fwd car, if anything it may help having more weight in the front axle.

Decent time for the wet though !!

the Fwd Cupras come into their element on the 100-200kph times, look forward to seeing that one :)

ChocoHR

Apr 25, 2022
Yh that time is decent for wet.

If you want to improve your launch , JB4 can be helpful as you can change boost per gear

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Yes I know it’s technically possible, but I don’t think many people are doing this.

I think a Revo GPF stage 2 map with Revo TCU like the car in question is plenty good enough.
Sticking a JB4 on that car isn’t going to get you anything 0-60 on a FWD car, it’s not power or boost limited, its traction limited 0-60.

Anyway who wants to talk about JB4’s in a Revo stg2 GPF thread ? 🤷🏻‍♂️
I don’t.

ChocoHR

Apr 25, 2022
If many people are not doing it, it does not mean anything, mostly because they dont really know or understand.
Sticking a JB4 will help a lot as you can control boost per gear. Trust me you can do really good on 1/4 mile with stacked JB4 and slicks.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.