RiP TFSi

ALTEA4

Jan 12, 2019
Early morning drive to work then bang - crash and a 90 degree spin into the front of the lorry that had just whacked me from the right. Quite hairy, looking at the front bumper of a lorry as you are being pushed along the road side on.
I'll probably find out tomorrow morning if I'm damaged in any way as paracetamol seems to have worked on any aches but the car is a write-off. I managed to get it to crawl 200m to a layby but drive is all but gone. Such a shame as it started on the button, ran well and carried my holidaying and work gear around with ease.
I did see another low mileage tfsi for sale last week so they are around, maybe i'll move quick if another one appears.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_9128.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9128.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 176
  • thumbnail_IMG_9118.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9118.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 167
  • thumbnail_IMG_9116.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9116.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 167

ALTEA4

Jan 12, 2019
I’m ok thanks, just some shoulder and arm ache now.
Went and emptied the car of what I thought would be a few things. God there’s some cubby holes in these...my crap filled 2 black bin bags.
I had only filled it up the night before so my mate syphoned out most of the fuel for use in his strada tc. Front wheels were both pointing outwards so can safely say the car is unusable. I’ll find out what scrap yard it’ll be going to , if it’s not vandalised over the weekend, in case anyone looking for spares. The ST will be on daily duties until I can find a suitable replacement for the Freetrack.

Last edited:

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Glad your OK, the car did its job it seems in safety.

I assume the lorry stopped and you got all the right details etc?

ALTEA4

Jan 12, 2019
Hi
Yes the lorry stopped and company details exchanged. Haulage company are being less than helpful but insurance co. have said they will deal with that side of things. Sent in photos today of the scrapes and tyre marks along the road , also a video of the dual carriageway as I retraced my drive this morning.

Reactions: Jimbobcook

ALTEA4

Jan 12, 2019
It went to a savage valuer in Cornwall. I’m still arguing with Tesco underwriters over its value. Gone ombudsman route now. Tesco started at 2200 then 2433. After asking for any upgrades which were nav,xenons,cornering lights I got a final offer of 2475. There’s 2 on the bay, 2995 and 3495. Neither local to me so see what ombudsman’s decision is. Tesco offered an interim payment but obviously want my V5. I can wait so they’ll have to.
If anyone wants a drivers seat and a luggage divider get in touch. Free for collection from ta8. I bought these from a salvage yard 2 years ago along with replacement parts I fitted.

ALTEA4

Jan 12, 2019
It’s f***ed. It would need jigging. You can’t see in the pictures that the chassis and body are twisted. Front wheels both point outwards. I could hardly get it to move so more is broken underneath. It’ll be a parts car. I had a brand new turbo fitted 15k miles ago so the engine would be a good buy for someone.

Bofus

Oct 3, 2018
What was the rear diff like? mine is a bit whiny so after a quiet one and possibly a rear bumper.

ALTEA4

Jan 12, 2019
Rear bumper had a cut out where the towbar was fitted. If you kept the silver insert from yours you could replace this part. All the parts on the car will be salvageable except for the doors on the drivers side. The diff didn’t whine , it was too good a car to sell on so I kept and used it as my daily.

ALTEA4

Jan 12, 2019
So pretty pissed off with the ombudsman’s findings but absolutely nothing more I can do. After nearly 5 months of twoing and froing with the most unhelpful Tesco Underwriters I’ve come out with £2550. This is above cap values of any freetrack tfsi or diesel that are showing sold in any book guides. So no matter how well you look after your car : service , tyres ,maintenance, clean mots, it’s basically worth FA. I’d screen saved some listings when I insured it for £3k but was told it didn’t matter , even showing resales advertised at £3.5k the last few months doesn’t matter. The ombudsman and Tesco both agreed they couldn’t find a replacement for my payout price but tough ****. As my accident was 01.04 I get the value at that time , not at today’s inflated prices. It dragged on as Tesco first stated I had added the optional extras after buying the car and at one point said I was uninsured for not declaring mods. I had to do the legwork to prove my car had come with 3 options , in my favour was the original service book with all the codes on a sticker from the dealer. Tesco were true fuckers , I wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole ever again. I’ve since found out they are claiming against the other driver but have tried everything possible to not even pay me out. They couldn’t wait to cancel my policy and keep the premium , they sell the car on and claim against the other insurer. Surely a win win for all but the insured.

Bofus

Oct 3, 2018
So pretty pissed off with the ombudsman’s findings but absolutely nothing more I can do. After nearly 5 months of twoing and froing with the most unhelpful Tesco Underwriters I’ve come out with £2550. This is above cap values of any freetrack tfsi or diesel that are showing sold in any book guides. So no matter how well you look after your car : service , tyres ,maintenance, clean mots, it’s basically worth FA. I’d screen saved some listings when I insured it for £3k but was told it didn’t matter , even showing resales advertised at £3.5k the last few months doesn’t matter. The ombudsman and Tesco both agreed they couldn’t find a replacement for my payout price but tough ****. As my accident was 01.04 I get the value at that time , not at today’s inflated prices. It dragged on as Tesco first stated I had added the optional extras after buying the car and at one point said I was uninsured for not declaring mods. I had to do the legwork to prove my car had come with 3 options , in my favour was the original service book with all the codes on a sticker from the dealer. Tesco were true fuckers , I wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole ever again. I’ve since found out they are claiming against the other driver but have tried everything possible to not even pay me out. They couldn’t wait to cancel my policy and keep the premium , they sell the car on and claim against the other insurer. Surely a win win for all but the insured.
That is shocking behaviour, but fairly typical from a mainstream insurer. Maybe time to get mine ‘agreed value’

Sorry, but I just need to find this car now…I want some parts