Roof Mouldings..

GREY 225

Jim R
Oct 15, 2006
The roof mouldings on each side of car for a roof rack,if this is what you mean, do come out all together if you want,ive had mine out to clean them,you wouldnt believe the crap and green sludge that had gathered under them,if you start at the back near the boot and carefully lift the moulding strip up towards front windscreen you can lift them out completely.There is a rubber strip attatched to each moulding strip which holds it into roof recess and on mine this was all green and slimey,there was also alot of muck in the roof recess too were the threads are for roof rack mounts.
If they are comming out i would recomend clear silicone sealant on the rubber edges,let it dry then refit them,should hold them in place better.

Al_G

Jan 12, 2006
Manchester
Hey!

Sorry to dig up a thread from the dead but unfortunately one of my slidy clips (two on each mould) has broken meaning that although it closes it there's nothing in place to hold it in shut!

Any idea how much a new clip costs and most importantly do the mouldings come already sprayed?

Failing that I could always glue it in place...any suggestions?

Ideally I'd like it to be secure but not so secure it can be opened!

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
Im guessing your mouldings are colour coded then mate? Id imagine they come black as new.

New clips hmmmmm you might get a funny look in the stealers lol i cant imagine the strip would be to expensive, but then obviously paint etc.

If you use something like hot glue or silicone, it would be easier to pop it out if you ever needed a roof rack?

Failing that, glue the beasty in!

Jimski

Al_G

Jan 12, 2006
Manchester
Im guessing your mouldings are colour coded then mate? Id imagine they come black as new.

New clips hmmmmm you might get a funny look in the stealers lol i cant imagine the strip would be to expensive, but then obviously paint etc.

If you use something like hot glue or silicone, it would be easier to pop it out if you ever needed a roof rack?

Failing that, glue the beasty in!

Jimski

Cheers for replying fella :)

Yeah my car is platinum grey!

so by using hot glue or silicone I should be able to force the clip open if it's ever needed at a later date?

Also where can I buy hot glue from!? I've got some bostik all purpose glue but I'm unsure whether it might be a little too strong!

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
Standard silicone should be fine mate, its the flexible rubber like quality that will allow it to not only stick it down, but also peel off.

Hot glue is that glue gun, with the sticks of hard glue you feed into the gun, bit of a faff and messy, few dabs of clear silicone will do the job nicely!

Jimski

Al_G

Jan 12, 2006
Manchester
Standard silicone should be fine mate, its the flexible rubber like quality that will allow it to not only stick it down, but also peel off.

Hot glue is that glue gun, with the sticks of hard glue you feed into the gun, bit of a faff and messy, few dabs of clear silicone will do the job nicely!

Jimski

coolio, so this is the stuff I need?

http://www.craftinstinct.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=2929

thanks again mate for all your help

heatfan8

Insert witty comment here
Dec 2, 2008
Berkshire
I looked at replacing my black ones earlier in the year and it was gonna cost £55 a piece and the clips dont come seperately! Best keeping your eyes on ebay or scrappies if you want replacements!