RPM when revved stationary

Aardvark

Apr 24, 2014
Leeds, Yorkshire
With a hot engine running, in neutral, with handbrake on, how high does your car rev when you blip the throttle?

I was listening to my engine last night, a 184 TDI FR and under the circumstances described it will not rev beyond 2500 rpm. Are all the diesel motors like this?

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
With a hot engine running, in neutral, with handbrake on, how high does your car rev when you blip the throttle?

I was listening to my engine last night, a 184 TDI FR and under the circumstances described it will not rev beyond 2500 rpm. Are all the diesel motors like this?

All are like it,petrol & diesel they will not rev past a certain level when stationary. Not sure of the reason.

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
It limits the revs to the value set for launch control.
40k miles and I've never used that particular feature, but I did go through the 'set up' procedure but just didn't release the brake (I was pointing at a brick wall at the time, just wanted see if it had L/C)

2015 Leon ST FR 184 DSG

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
It limits the revs to the value set for launch control.
40k miles and I've never used that particular feature, but I did go through the 'set up' procedure but just didn't release the brake (I was pointing at a brick wall at the time, just wanted see if it had L/C)

2015 Leon ST FR 184 DSG

The manual doesn't have launch control?

mrvanx

Feb 13, 2014
York

Not sure of the cupra as I haven't received it yet but our 13 reg A3 1.6tdi (manual) does this when sat stationary. If the handbrake is off the revs aren't limited. Again not sure of why though.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Aren't all vag cars of the last few years limited like this?
Probably as simple as being like that to protect the engine.
I'm sure many us of pressed down the accelerator by accident, I know i have.
Couple of times at the Dartford crossing trying to get change out my pocket to throw in the basket.
Before they did away with the barriers and made it free like they always promised, after we paid for it a thousand times over ;)
:censored:

s200rey89

Jan 21, 2016
North East England
It's just a rev limiter. Same on all VAG motors. 2500 rpm. Will only rev past this when coasting / moving either out of gear / or clutch down - no idea as to why but the limiter only works when stationary.....Probably to make for easy 'forced' DPF regen. I'm ex motor trade and prior to these changes techies / mechanics would sit in the car and have to idle engine at 2500 rpm + for aaaages. These changes enable them to be able to put say a weight on the accelerator pedal and leave until forced regeneration takes place - forever how long that takes - increasing productivity in the workshop. At least that's what I can gather, I've seen techies doing this to loooads of various diesels in the past...or it is indeed just a 'soft' launch control? Explaining why it also limits the petrol variants too - who knows???

But OP - It's normal (for your car) and nothing to worry about...

Last edited:
Reactions: Aardvark

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
Really easy....press and hold the traction control button in for 5 seconds, this will disable part of the traction control and stability control. Your rev limiter will be turned off now.

Cupra mk3 290/(370)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Traction control button? Where's that?

ah. You may be a victim of Seat's 'lets make easy stuff complicated' game. Some people have a separate TCS off button handily postioned in the line of buttons on the centre console. For others, there is no physical button , to turn it off you have to delve into one of the many menu's on the screen and find it. There seems to be no rhyme or reason why said physical button vanishes either. Bit like dating someone and never knowing if they are going to be wearing underwear by Ann Summers or by Damart. Maybe no underwear at all would be best , but I like my fish fingers from Findus. I need to lie down. :cry:

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
ah. You may be a victim of Seat's 'lets make easy stuff complicated' game. Some people have a separate TCS off button handily postioned in the line of buttons on the centre console. For others, there is no physical button , to turn it off you have to delve into one of the many menu's on the screen and find it. There seems to be no rhyme or reason why said physical button vanishes either. Bit like dating someone and never knowing if they are going to be wearing underwear by Ann Summers or by Damart. Maybe no underwear at all would be best , but I like my fish fingers from Findus. I need to lie down. :cry:

In mine it's through the screen and having to select ASR Sport.

Have you had a bad day?

Sohail

Aug 22, 2018

Hi I have a 2016 1.4TDI Seat Ibiza FR and I have bought it and it does the same thing, only revs to 2500RPM while idle is this normal ?

Deleted member 103408

VW Group have rev limits on there cars (when stationary) on my petrol its 4k

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
It's not just VAG. Various other makers do it as well.

It reduces the chances of something overheating, whether engine or gearbox. And there's not really a good reason to want to rev so high!

Reactions: Sohail

Sohail

Aug 22, 2018
It's not just VAG. Various other makers do it as well.

It reduces the chances of something overheating, whether engine or gearbox. And there's not really a good reason to want to rev so high!
Thanks guys

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.