RR results, not a happy bunny...possible cause found!

danny20vt

going back to basics
well here are my RR results, as you can see, its lagging behind a bit.

Mods are Forge 007p with relocation kit, Green Dynatwist air filter (ran with heatshield on) and a custom catback exhaust, MAF was dying so I was kindly lent another one (ta Damien)
102_0539.jpg

102_0534.jpg

102_0535.jpg

102_0536.jpg

102_0537.jpg

102_0538.jpg

One thing I've noticed is the boost pressure, I was aware these 180 bhp engines only ran 9-10psi (ko3 turbo) but mine spikes at 14psi and is mostly between 11-12.5psi, is there any chance its had dodgy remap?

Last edited:

Bigbhp18t

That looks nasty, I "could" be a poor remap from someone who dont fully understand the me7 ecu and the lambda / load maps and they have just add x% to every map instead of adding actual figures with the correct values and the right load point. if it is from a half decent source then the remap shoul be fine imo. (pm me who mapped it and i can tell you if it is a map you can trust or if you need to get it checked out 1st)

If the mapping is not the problem then I would look to see of the cat is blocked which will cause stupidly high egts making the ecu hardware protection map kick in dump loads of fuel making a really rich afr to cool the egts down.
It could also be a boost or vac leak which could be a boost pipe, or even the daft breather pipes under the inlet manifold. ( you need to look for oiled / wet pipes which is a sign of a boost leak) also check DV, n249 IC etc..

IMO the APP engine was the worst engine of the lot, a halfway from the ko3 non dbw unit to the k03s VVT lumps. VW did the same on some of the year 200 Golf with the ARZ engine which was only 150bhp but running the exact same hardware as the APP. Every stock APP I have seen on a rolling road as made at least less the 20bhp of the quotes power. Even with a brilliant brand name remap you cannot expect over 190bhp you could see another 30+lbft low down, but your poor k03 needs to be peaking closer to 17-18psi.

I had to sort an AUQ out to day which gave a simlar graph, after 2hours of trial and error testing we put the lumpy torque curve down to one split breather pipe, which when fixed gave a nice smooth graph and another 22bhp 27lbft.

Ben

danny20vt

going back to basics
thanks ben, an interesting read there, TBH I don't know for sure if its been mapped or not, I haven't had it done, maybe the last owner has, I just thought it was strange boosting to 14psi, a remap was on the cards as was a 200 cell cat and either a ko3 hybrid or ko3s once the turbo dies. Could it have been a collapsing TIP like i thought it had got in the first place (standard rubber hose and 143k on the clock)
I think I will go over the hoses with a fine tooth comb as soon as I can though.

Bigbhp18t

Once you got the car running spot on, you have got to start to look at the ko3s or k04-001 upgrade. IMO it will be the best money ever spent on a APP lump..lol

You need to get your car on a load based rolling road and hold the car under WOT across the rpm range and visual look for engine problems (inc TIP colapse) and log the real time data and see what is being asked for the ecu vs what the engine doing. The APP ecus dont have boost maps as such, they use a load based system based on cylinder filling and maps simlar to volumetric efficiency look up tables. In short and in the idea world you ecu will try and produce the correct power based on the requested volumetric efficiency not matter what the atmos conditions. So on a warm less humid day the ecu will ask for more air achieve the correct VE, and on damp cooler days a lesser air request.

I know on the 1.8T AGU & ARZ Golf running Ko3 turbo 14psi-12psi will be good for 180bp with the correct fuel and timing. I am sure a remapped APP should be seeing 18-19psi peak to get closer to 190+bhp. Drop me a PM I will try to help you out a bit more.

Ben

danny20vt

going back to basics
Is this the cause??

After being off work all week ill, I finally felt well to go and check over the hoses after my RR result, I was just going to call it a day and noticed this

082609155734.jpg

082609155645.jpg

this is a hose from the boost pipe to the N75 valve, could it be this that is causing my loss in power? If it is I have already cut the end bit off and re-attached it and its secure enough but I haven't tried the car yet as I thought theres no point until I get my MAF on Friday.

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
That happened to me too once.stuterd on boost. I had app engine also with P-Torque remap, it boost to 1.3/1.4bar. very impressed with the map. Have some vag logs if you want em posted up.

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
LOL, good work on finding that though mate, give it a whirl when the MAF arrives then a trip back to Motoscope to attack the Dyno again lol

danny20vt

going back to basics
TBH, curiosity got the better of me and I've just been out for a spin and the car felt fine all the way round the rev range and seemed to pull harder, so I don't know if the MAF fault code was caused by me unplugging it :confused:

Last edited:

gulzar

LCR jabba'd
Oct 1, 2007
the maf will throw a fault if it is unplugged while still having the key in the ignition. looks like you have found the culprit. its important that there are no leaks to the n75. its all vacumm hosing that needs to be sealed. it will be the reason for your car being down on power. you could still get another maf and try it as a new one would be fresh. but looks like the car is better now.. i give my lcr a regular check up checking all hoses and making sure there are no splits. its essential for these 20vt to have everything working right. good luck ;-)

Bigbhp18t

You got the easy find then, some owners can spend months trying to find the cause of the power loss. I know one guy who has spent 18 months sorting a power loss issues out, only to go into a vag tuner who found the fault in 10 mins using a bit of string.

Glad you got some power back, you next step is to get it back on the same rolling road to see how much power you were losing.

Ben

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise