Rubber Mats - Looking to buy

Cvpra

Mar 11, 2023
Had a search of the forum but didn’t find anything.

With the weather getting worse than normal, has anyone swapped to rubber mats?

Are they any worth considering?

thanks

Reactions: Cupra306Form

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I‘m a fan of rubber mats. I don’t have a Cupra but I‘ve not only swapped to rubber mats, I keep them in my VW all year round. They went in on day one of getting the car just over three years ago and I’ve never put the carpet mats back (did the same with my previous two cars).

I personally don’t find VW’s carpet mats particularly good quality or durable (maybe Cupra mats are better?). VW’s OEM rubber mats are much more durable and hard wearing than the carpet mats, and I actually quite like the utilitarian look of them. They have a small raised lip around the edge which helps to contain any dampness / wetness from wet footwear which can just be tipped out of the car, unlike carpet mats which I find get wet and soggy at this time of year. The rubber mats are easy to clean too - remove from the car and shake to remove any grit and dirt, a quick wipe over with a damp cloth and they look as good as new again. I don’t think the carpet mats would look as good as new after three year’s use.

Reactions: Cvpra

the_lorne_ranger

Nov 20, 2023
Aberdeen, Scotland
Just bought my Formentor, but I have had rubber mats in other cars, VW, BMW etc, they are much better in my opinion. Bonus being when you are cleaning the car, you can just take out the rubber mats and power wash them.

Will be investing in the Cupra rubber mats very soon!

cod_ed

May 23, 2017
UK
Damn! Wish I'd seen these, I ordered some cheapie rubber ones from car mats.co.uk.

Can't justify the £94 for the Cupra OEM rubber ones just now!
If you're not 100% happy with them you could always return them? The Gledring ones from drive den are awesome quality and you won't be disappointed. 👍

cod_ed

May 23, 2017
UK
Mine are actually fitted in my Cupra Leon, some might not know this but the floor plan is identical and they fit perfectly 😁 Gledring don't actually offer a RHD version for the Leon, only LHD at the moment.

the_lorne_ranger

Nov 20, 2023
Aberdeen, Scotland
If you're not 100% happy with them you could always return them? The Gledring ones from drive den are awesome quality and you won't be disappointed. 👍
They will do for now and they were cheap, the mats that came with the car are non OEM, and are awful, and drivers mat was missing, so they will do for now until I can afford the Curpa ones.

Cupra306Form

Sep 24, 2023
I'm going to order a set, as soon as you've been out anywhere walking in winter the quality mats need cleaning and hoovering. With rubber you just rinse 'em off.

cod_ed

May 23, 2017
UK
I'm going to order a set, as soon as you've been out anywhere walking in winter the quality mats need cleaning and hoovering. With rubber you just rinse 'em off.
That's the beauty of them isn't it, so practical! Don't feel as cosy but they don't half make up for it as you wash your car, just a quick jet wash and the inside looks respectable again 😂

Reactions: SRGTD

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
That's the beauty of them isn't it, so practical! Don't feel as cosy but they don't half make up for it as you wash your car, just a quick jet wash and the inside looks respectable again 😂
Agree 100%.

I bought petrol this morning and the area around the pump I used was heavily sanded, suggesting there’s been a recent fuel spillage. When I got back in my car, I realised I had a sand and fuel mix stuck to the soles of my shoes, and lots of the same on rubber mat in my driver’s footwell - not only unpleasant to smell, but very slippery on the pedals 😡. I just pulled away from the pumps and parked up, took the rubber mat out of the driver’s footwell and shook the sand out, used some of the paper towels from near the pump to wipe both the mat and the soles of my shoes and all was good again. No smells in the car and all the sand gone.

IMHO It wouldn’t have been that easy to do a quick clean up with carpet mats, and the smell would no doubt have lingered………… Rubber mats FTW! 👍

cod_ed

May 23, 2017
UK
Agree 100%.

I bought petrol this morning and the area around the pump I used was heavily sanded, suggesting there’s been a recent fuel spillage. When I got back in my car, I realised I had a sand and fuel mix stuck to the soles of my shoes, and lots of the same on rubber mat in my driver’s footwell - not only unpleasant to smell, but very slippery on the pedals 😡. I just pulled away from the pumps and parked up, took the rubber mat out of the driver’s footwell and shook the sand out, used some of the paper towels from near the pump to wipe both the mat and the soles of my shoes and all was good again. No smells in the car and all the sand gone.

IMHO It wouldn’t have been that easy to do a quick clean up with carpet mats, and the smell would no doubt have lingered………… Rubber mats FTW! 👍
And there we have it..... A real world scenario (1 of many) where rubber mats come into their own! 👍

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members