Rumbling noise from front left of car

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
So tonight on the way home I noticed excessive rumbling from the front left of the car. I had originally put. Down to road noise as the road is pretty uneven. However the noise persisted when the road smoothed out.

the noise is similar to that of a tyre defect, as if there is something on the tyre. Anyway... I think it could be a bearing. The frequency of the rumble changes with the speed of the car rather than the speed of the engine which leads me to believe the issue is after the clutch.

car was serviced approximately 3,000 miles ago and there was no comment on the service about anything nearing a replacement.

any suggestions of things to check to save the mechanic some time? I’m sure they’d know what it was anyway but just incase.

Thanks.

womble68

Aug 8, 2009
Bebington, Wirral
Can't remember if the leon has brake shields or not. If it has could there be a stone or similar trapped somewhere causing the noise, just another alternative.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

MifSal

Feb 7, 2019
is the rumbling when you accelarate? I have a similar noise under heavy load in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear and im sure its something to do with the engine mounts

The Daily Meme

Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
is the rumbling when you accelarate? I have a similar noise under heavy load in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear and im sure its something to do with the engine mounts
No, it is a constant noise that is persistent when coasting as well as under acceleration.
I liken it to a very dull thudding, rather than something scraping.

Reactions: MifSal

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
If it is a dull thudding the maybe you have a defective tyre, or one with a flat spot on it, I had an almost new Goodyear tyre on a car once that had a serious flat spot on it, and it must have been due to a manufacturing error - Goodyear did refund me some cash on that one even although it was a Ford factory fit original tyre. I had not noticed anything when driving that car, I was just being smart checking it when I jacked the car up and spun the rear wheel, a lot easier to check with a not driven wheel.

The Daily Meme

Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
I've booked it in to be looked at tomorrow, hopefully the garage can figure it out.

As for the tyres, they've done about 20,000 miles now. I replaced the previous pair at about 20,000 miles as well. Given that people get about 7,000 out of their PS4S etc, I thought that seemed quite high, but I don't do any hard driving really, mostly gentle driving on dual carriageways. As I said, car was serviced and MOT'd 3,000 miles ago and tyres were still going strong.

Amazingly the rear tyres are the ones it came out the factory on!

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
No, it is a constant noise that is persistent when coasting as well as under acceleration.
I liken it to a very dull thudding, rather than something scraping.
A dying wheel bearing is very distinctive, a constant rumble, like low frequency white noise. The only time it would make a rythmic sound is when it's collapsed and the wheel is flopping around.

The Daily Meme

Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
So the garage put it down to the rear tyres. Given their age I was about to replace them anyway but there must be an uneven part on one of the tyres.

the cars going to disappear in a couple months. I wonder if anyone can recommend a decent tyre that will be alright for a pair on the back. Last me about 5,000 miles of driving and won’t cost too much. Previous tyres were continental sport contact 3 and they’ve lasted this long. I changed the front two to Dunlop about 18 months ago.
Might just put Dunlop in the back.

HighFlyingBird

2016 Leon FR 1.4 150 in Chilli Red 2019 - 2020
Jan 15, 2019
Leeds
Worth noting that the shield behind the brake discs can rust off, happened to my 1.2 SE and it left a nice big mark on the inside of the alloy, that was a rumbling noise for a while until it finally fell all the way off and starting grinding against the alloy

The Daily Meme

Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
Yeah I had a chat with the guy at the garage. The tyres are the ones it came out the factory on, and whilst there is plenty of tread on them. They are 5 years old and are starting to crack. He reckons one of them is deformed slightly. For the sake of a pair of new tyres it is worth ruling out.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise