Rust! not even 15,000 miles done...

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland
P1010076.jpg

P1010077.jpg

P1010078.jpg

Anyone else experienced something similar? how did you go about solving the problem?

nathan1997

sand it down then paint with black one coat rust hammerite paint, job done

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 15, 2007
South East London
Have a look round any car park and you will see MUCH more expensive and newer cars with the same problem, now the sun is out its a sunday afternoon job to paint them.... you probably wont even have to take the wheels off with the standard 18" alloys as there is a fair amount of room to get a small wire brush and paint brush in...

MUFFIN

ready 2 return ;o)
Dec 3, 2006
North of Penzance
Pretty much everyone here affected..
I bought some "Very High Temperature" paint from HalFRAUDS.
Remove all discs, a good rub down, used a dremel for the tricky bits, a quick paint up and all lookin' lovely..

My suggestion is do it yourself, if you ask a dealer to do it they may only do a quickie job where as you'll take your time if it's your pride and joy.

It's the disc flanges that aren't coated, some manufacturers do some don't, it's not a fault, just a cost cutting exercise.

Some here have managed to get dealers to fix under warranty, I reckon it's not worth gettin out of your pram over it as it certainly isn't a fault.

;)

Another quick tip, when you replace the wheels, smear a dollop of copper grease onto the face of the hub, this will limit the corrosion being caused by the two metals reacting & it will ensure your wheels come off easy at the next service:funk:

Some owners just don't care about the rust, each to their own but when you own a gleaming white LEON the rust around the discs stands out and looks gash.

stuartsjg

Oct 22, 2008
Aberdeen
Like other members, mine has the same issue, at 10000 miles im much rustier tho. COuld be proximity to the sea (less than 3 miles) and perhaps heavier breaking meaning more heat soaking into the hubs.

My fiances dad's BMW 325i MSport has the same and his palls two Porsche's (Cayenne and 911) have rusty hubs too. Ive seen new Merc's and BMW's rusty too.

I even called in once at the Bentley show room in Edinburgh and i spotted rusty hubs there!

(i dont go around looking for rusty hubs, i just spot them when looking at the car in general... im not that sad...........)

I keep meaning to give mines a coat of heat proof black. Will probs do it some time during the next nice weekend.

Stuart

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
My Celica had it, the Cupra had it and the TT is going the same way I think.

My SEAT dealer did try to clean them up a bit for me though, which lasted all of about a week. At least they tried...

Deleted member 35811

I've just had my hubs Electroplated - To cure this problem. I'm going to do a thread on this Tues/Weds when I pick my car up from the dealers.

Deleted member 35811

if it was zinc plating you had done , will only last a couple of months , but it would be a good key for painting on top of.

I don't know the full ins & outs of it, but they have been plated twice, in 2 different materials - what those are, I have no idea.... Its been done through a Seat Dealer, who assure me I 'should'nt' have to bother about rust again... time will tell.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
zinc plating is a sacrificial coating , wont last long at all , couple of months top , plus also depends what was done to the substrate as well.

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland
see i began to wonder this after reading in a few different places. i use AutoGlm Clean Wheels...

I would have thought that anything from such a reputable supplier of car cleaning products wouldn't have been so harsh on hubs...? Maybe i should stop using it. Any other alternatives? A few squirts and aggitation with a brush then a quick clean with soapy water and a wash mitt left my rims always gleaming though...

Last edited: