"safe" command on radio

skullarms

Roo
Nov 11, 2008
Hi again all,
hopefully i am being stupid and this one can be solved quick, took my battery off to do some work on the car, on re-connection the radio said "safe", checked the handbook and it told me that i needed to press the PTY button then put in the code etc etc, I did this using the code given to me when i bought the car, but now the radio reads "2 safe" I checked the manual and it said if i entered the wrong code it would say this and their would be a waiting time before i could try again.
Well that was 3 days ago and the radio still says "2 safe" how long is this waiting time????? :shrug:
Does anyone know a way past this, or what i need to do to get the bloody thing working again? [:@]
Thanks in advance for help guys

alexj124

Mar 2, 2005
Edinburgh
yep exactly how you have wrote it. Safe is because you disconnected the battery.Safe 2 is because you have entered it incorrectly.

How certain are you the code is correct. Is this code in the AURA hand book on a page near the back i think it is.

Follow the instructions in that book for doing it, if that does not work then take it to the dealers to see if its the right code. Ask nicely and they'll do it/get it for free (as some dealers do charge for getting the code)

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
after you turn the car off, turn the radio on manually. leve it showing safe 2 for an hour or so then it should let you try again:)

caveo

I had this for 2 weeks before i just binned it and got a cheap head unit , was fun smashing it up while shouting " NOW WHO'S SAFE HUH!!!! WHA HA HA !!!"

skullarms

Roo
Nov 11, 2008
Thanks guys, will try the option of leaving it on for an hour or so first, although the last option of buying a cheap unit and smashing the f**k out of the old one is very very tempting!!!!:D

skullarms

Roo
Nov 11, 2008
ah, ok the smashing it up option is becoming the way to go, perhaps father christmas can get me a good head unit!

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Definitely switch it back on for an hour or so after the ignition is off and you'll be OK. I also read to press the pty button the first time I did it but this seemed to keep messing it up and I had to leave it another hour each time. Having at various times disconnected the battery since I always enter the code straight off via pressing the numerical buttons and the radio starts as soon as the 4th digit is entered correctly without having touched the pty button.

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
same problem too

a few months back i disconnected battery wrongly assuming the code in the handbook was correct..uhmm, it wasnt...:censored::censored::censored: got the guys to do if for me when my car was in for a service, and hey presto...it worked.

a couple of weeks back had my gauges put in, when i drove off after completion, i see the dreaded SAFE :censored:...phoned the blokes up and was told they will get back to me with the code (last time they didt put the new code in the handbook). so im back to square 1. i am still waiting for their phone call after chasing them up 10 times...[:@]

if i go into a SEAT dealership, they apparantly have to do a diagnostic check to find the correct code. will this affect my remap, or should i warn them in advance?...

skullarms

Roo
Nov 11, 2008
thanks for all the replies guys, gonna have to disconnect the battery again anyway i gotta take my (soaking wet) carpets out and seal all my doors!!! I have electric seats so i guess battery off before i start so will try the radio after its all (hopefully) back together!!!

Andy C

aletchet

Apr 27, 2008
i entered the code incorrect after the battery got disconnected when my clutch was replaced.. After that it displays "SAFE" If i leave the radio on - car locked, i come back and its turned its self off and still displays "safe" If i press pty or any other buttons the 0000 is still not displayed..

any other tips ?

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
i entered the code incorrect after the battery got disconnected when my clutch was replaced.. After that it displays "SAFE" If i leave the radio on - car locked, i come back and its turned its self off and still displays "safe" If i press pty or any other buttons the 0000 is still not displayed..

any other tips ?

are their numbers displayed next to the word safe? a little 2 for instance?

it should work.

lee_woollett

Jan 19, 2009
northampton
i've still got the same issue with mine saying 2 safe. I spoke to a garage the other day and they are apparently a SEAT approved garage. They suggested leaving radio on for 2 hours with the ignition on. I'm confused as i keep hearing different ways of unlocking the radio.

I've got another head unit in my old car, i think this is fastly becoming the preferred option, all i need is a fascia adaptor then i think i'll smash the old one to tiny bits

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
ignition on never did it with mine. had to remove keys completely , then turn radio on , then lock car up for 40mins.
maybe on some cars its a different activation.

if you leave ignition on for an hour, give her a run after to get the battery recharged

does pressing the PTY/PROG key do anything?

lee_woollett

Jan 19, 2009
northampton
I wash cleaning my windows inside and out today so i thought i'd leave the ignition on whilst doing it, eventually (after about 1 hour) the radio changed to display 2000. I entered the code from the manual that i got from the garage that sold the car to me but the display just changed back to safe. I'm guessing that the tw@t that sold the car to me doesn't know the code and just fobbed me off with the wrong one. Looks like i'll have to take it to a dealers and see if they can retrieve the code and get the radio working. Do they normally charge for this service? If so how much does it cost?

aletchet

Apr 27, 2008
hmm i just bought a Sony MEX-BT2600 as it was winding me up having no stereo for the last 4 months :)

as for a facia plate thing, i guess ill need one of these so it fits in right.. are they all about the same quality from ebay ?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise