Sat Nav built in...viewable?

Rael

TDi - Smokin'!
Jul 9, 2008
Gatwick
Hi Guys,

I will be changing my head unit soon for an aftermarket jobbie. I am just wondering, as there is a huge price difference between units with sat nav and units without, is it workable to have it built in considering its location, in terms of it being lower down to view? I wondered if anyone had any opinions. I only ask, as I put my Tom Tom on the screen, which is obviously relatively easy to see but is a pain in the bum to have plugged in as Seat put zero thought into their ciggy lighter location!

Any comments/thoughts welcome. Oh, and if anyone has any recommendations of actual units to go for, I'd be grateful for them too! Cheers! :D

Aug 11, 2008
Liverpool
Might be worth doing what I'm in the process of doing.. Getting an Alpine W505R headunit and an Alpine Blackbird sat nav. The sat nav can be used docked with the headunit to transfer the info to that, or you can use it in the cradle mounted in the window. The headunit itself can be picked up for around £600 and is a decent unit. Also compatitble with the OEM bluetooth if you have it with the use of an adapter.

Rael

TDi - Smokin'!
Jul 9, 2008
Gatwick
I have been looking at that unit, it looks nice. I suppose that would be the ideal solution, if rather a rather expensive one. No bluetooth here I'm afraid either!

Aug 11, 2008
Liverpool
I suppose it is quite expensive, working out about about £900 for me including the headunit, sat nav, fascia, canbus adapter and Alpine media adapter for the bluetooth. Will be worth it though! :)

Rael

TDi - Smokin'!
Jul 9, 2008
Gatwick
Just google'd RNS510 as I didn't know what it was...it's a VW head unit? Can these be put into another car then a la "plug n play" sort of thing?

Aug 11, 2008
Liverpool
For that sort of money you may as well get the rns510.

The trouble is, most of the ones around that price don't come with any warranty and one with a warranty is a lot more. Also I couldn't find a Seat branded one and a little thing like the VW splash screen loading on startup would really really bug me.. I'm weird like that. :(

Aug 11, 2008
Liverpool
Just google'd RNS510 as I didn't know what it was...it's a VW head unit? Can these be put into another car then a la "plug n play" sort of thing?

Yeh, its the standard nav unit for VAG cars. Not too sure about compatibilty with other cars.. Might be a pain. Seat ones are very rare to find so you would have to put up with a VW one which has the VW logo on startup. I couldn't put up with this so went the Alpine route.. :)

Rael

TDi - Smokin'!
Jul 9, 2008
Gatwick
That would pee me off too. I am proud of owning a Seat! I have always liked Alpine, never had a problem with any of their audio equipment so may well go down this route!

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
The trouble is, most of the ones around that price don't come with any warranty and one with a warranty is a lot more. Also I couldn't find a Seat branded one and a little thing like the VW splash screen loading on startup would really really bug me.. I'm weird like that. :(

Fair enough mate, you only see it when getting in car in the morning and to be honest I don't even notice it now. Still says 'Seat Navigation' on the MFD etc. The Apline kit does sound interesting though, can you get speed cameras etc. for the maps?

Deleted member 35811

Yeh, its the standard nav unit for VAG cars. Not too sure about compatibilty with other cars.. Might be a pain. Seat ones are very rare to find so you would have to put up with a VW one which has the VW logo on startup. I couldn't put up with this so went the Alpine route.. :)

I had this dilema -

I went for the Pioneer Avic F900bt. Its got everything. SatNav - with speed cameras, bluetooth, plays DVD's & music via CD/SD Card or USB - please you can customise screen and botton light up colour to match your car.

SatNav.jpg

Aug 11, 2008
Liverpool
Nice display pic there Arttay! :)

Fair enough mate, you only see it when getting in car in the morning and to be honest I don't even notice it now. Still says 'Seat Navigation' on the MFD etc. The Apline kit does sound interesting though, can you get speed cameras etc. for the maps?

Hehe.. I'm just really fussy sometimes. Think I've got some sort of syndrome and it would bug the hell out of me having the VW logo. :)

Yeh you can get speed camera updates etc on the Alpine Blackbird units. They are actually quite good. Been using it over the weekend and I prefer it to my TomTom. It uses NavTeq maps as well which most sat nav systems use. Its got a built in traffic receiver that updates the route depending on traffic too which is quite cool.

Last edited:

NickP

Apr 23, 2003
Colchester, Essex
Visit site

Yes, Seat ones do appear to be as rare as rocking horse **** - I was one of the lucky ones...
IMG_5634-vi.jpg

You obviously get the benefit of directions on the MFD screen too, if you have the larger display.

IMG_4889-vi.jpg

It's a nice unit :)
IMG_5745-vi.jpg

Rael

TDi - Smokin'!
Jul 9, 2008
Gatwick
I had this dilema -

I went for the Pioneer Avic F900bt. Its got everything. SatNav - with speed cameras, bluetooth, plays DVD's & music via CD/SD Card or USB - please you can customise screen and botton light up colour to match your car.

SatNav.jpg

LMAO I love the note to, I assume, your other half!!!

The good thing about that is the volume knob is on the left. I find I sometimes hit the standard one, which is on the right, turning the volume up or down, or even turning it off!

Aug 11, 2008
Liverpool
The good thing about that is the volume knob is on the left. I find I sometimes hit the standard one, which is on the right, turning the volume up or down, or even turning it off!

I've found that a few times, if im trying to turn the music up and hit a bump I turn the headunit off! [:@]

Deleted member 35811

LMAO I love the note to, I assume, your other half!!!

It is - I let her out in it, as little as possible. I love her to bits, but she is prone to kerbing my black alloys [:@]

If you look to the right - you will see the adjustment control for the reverse camera I had fitted.

Rael

TDi - Smokin'!
Jul 9, 2008
Gatwick
It is - I let her out in it, as little as possible. I love her to bits, but she is prone to kerbing my black alloys [:@]

If you look to the right - you will see the adjustment control for the reverse camera I had fitted.

Haha same here mate. In fact, less than a week after we got the car, my other half rammed it against a kerb! Needs a full refurb now [:@]

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.