Sat Nav foibles comedy thread

Mar 13, 2011
Im pretty disappointed reading through this thread about the Sat Nav on this car and I havent picked mine up yet.

It cant be that bad can it??!!
It'll get you where you are going. Eventually ;-) Just be careful not to drive into the sea.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

gh2

Aug 2, 2010
I drive M5/M49/M4 Severn Crossing quite regularly and it never tries to take me any other way.

Mar 13, 2011
I drive M5/M49/M4 Severn Crossing quite regularly and it never tries to take me any other way.
Fair play. But not the same kettle of fish really. When coming up the M5 into Wales you would expect to go up the M49 and over the new Severn crossing and the nav would need to send you east to pick up the M48. My question was more about why when driving west on the M4 from (say) Bath would it try to send you over the old bridge. Look on google maps, it is miles longer so if you are already travelling westbound on M4 what possible reason could there be for using the old crossing?

Destination Cardiff rather than somewhere like chepstow, obviously.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Snah

Jul 7, 2014
Netherlands
In fact the system uses former Navteq data now owned by Nokia now called Here.
Nokia Windows phone uses same maps and they are known for their big quality.
So the whole VAG concern uses the Here navdata so it can't be that bad.
Till now I had no troubles with the maps itself but the only thing that irritates a bit is the slow route calculation.
Sometimes that takes way more then a minute although I selected only the fastes route.

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
Occasionally mine starts routing me from Wolfsburg (VAG Central)

Now I have never been to Wolfsburg and I'd like to. Maybe the car goes off on it's own sometimes. Knows where it's bits and bobs were designed even if not made

Last edited:

MattW35

Aug 9, 2007
Cambs
One comedy thing is that mine seems to like fire stations! I was driving through Northampton a couple of weeks back and it wasted my to go to their fire station for some reason!! Also in the town that I like in the fire station has a service road that connects it to 2 main roads - it usually wants me to drive through there as well.

marjohn56

May 31, 2014
London
My current car nav system which is also uses Navteq data constantly tells me to bear right on a straight road when driving into London on the A40 just as I enter the 40MPH zone by the Hoover building. Apart from having to cross the central reservation and three lanes of oncoming traffic the only thing there is a golf club...

The data dvd is 2006, but even then there was nothing to 'bear right' into.

Quicky, is it the normal female slightly nasal voice on the SEAT?

volts

Sep 1, 2011
Mine tries to take down a dead end road. It was originally a straight though road although not in my lifetime (23 years). Makes you wonder just how old the maps are.

Also when traveling down to Cornwall it did take you down some country lanes. When the tom tom told U to stick the main roads (Both on the fastest route settings)

marjohn56

May 31, 2014
London
Mine tries to take down a dead end road. It was originally a straight though road although not in my lifetime (23 years). Makes you wonder just how old the maps are.

Also when traveling down to Cornwall it did take you down some country lanes. When the tom tom told U to stick the main roads (Both on the fastest route settings)

I try not to travel in Cornwall, scary place.:D

When I have beem down there, it would take roads that a sensible person would not take.

Then again, there's little difference between most A & B roads in Cornwall... B roads tend to have no borders just stone walls... as I said, scary!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.