Sat nav, it’s Crazy

Scoobystig

Jun 12, 2021
has anyone had major issues with the Sat Nav and it’s crazy jumping position and then pulling google maps with it

I use google maps on CarPlay for navigation and on several occasions the car has suddenly completely changed it’s location in the country by several 10s of miles (particularly useful in central london). I had assumed it was a google maps issue and having pulled over and downpowered rebooted the phone it still had the issue,

after literally getting out the car and head scratching for 20mins got back in and switched everything back on and it seemed fine

well yesterday it happened again and so I pulled over and disconnected CarPlay and my phone immediately corrected its position, connected car play and my phone immediately switched position to where the car though it was
didnthis several times and happened each time

I was touring smoke sites around the Bromley area of London and so had to disconnect CarPlay and use the phone propped on the dash

interesting during this entire afternoon the car had no clue where I was. At one stage I was in the English Channel just off the coast of Hythe

so how is the car overruling google maps on my phone and corrupting it’s position - can this be resolved ??

picture for a laugh showing the contrast

Attachments

• CA9C9311-2BC3-4B9A-ACE0-4BED63B49E30.jpeg
    CA9C9311-2BC3-4B9A-ACE0-4BED63B49E30.jpeg
    352 KB · Views: 179
  • 21923A11-AD70-4D4A-9DF7-51EB784584C8.jpeg
    21923A11-AD70-4D4A-9DF7-51EB784584C8.jpeg
    367.1 KB · Views: 187

Hizzards

Aug 19, 2021
EDIT 2: I’m completely incorrect. Apologies. CarPlay can use the Car’s GPS. TIL.

CarPlay would use the GPS in the phone, not the car.

I wonder if the phone being quite low/covered in the charging cubby means it can’t get a good GPS signal. Does anyone know if the charge pad has a ‘booster’ to the roof antenna?

EDIT: Sorry, I didn’t take into account the pictures. Maybe I’m wrong and CarPlay does use the Car’s GPS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Scoobystig

Jun 12, 2021
CarPlay would use the GPS in the phone, not the car.

I wonder if the phone being quite low/covered in the charging cubby means it can’t get a good GPS signal. Does anyone know if the charge pad has a ‘booster’ to the roof antenna?

That’s what I assumed however on my phone it’s great when connected to the car it autocorrects to where the cars sat nav says it is

as soon as I disconnect from car, it jumps back to the correct position

there’s nothing wrong with phone or signal It’s the car that’s wrong as shown in pictures. But somehow it Overrules the phone

Reactions: Hizzards

Hizzards

Aug 19, 2021
That’s what I assumed however on my phone it’s great when connected to the car it autocorrects to where the cars sat nav says it is

as soon as I disconnect from car, it jumps back to the correct position

there’s nothing wrong with phone or signal It’s the car that’s wrong as shown in pictures. But somehow it Overrules the phone

Yes. Sorry. I thought I knew what I was talking about but I don’t! CarPlay can use the Cars GPS. I guess that would imply the GPS is faulty

jaydeedale

Sep 15, 2021
I think the charging mat has a booster for 4/5g signal, not sure if this would assist or hinder the GPS - I've had occasional GPS lag, though never to this extent - I tend to keep my phone lying over the cupholders (fits percectly) unless I need to charge

fpdoc0697

May 22, 2021
has anyone had major issues with the Sat Nav and it’s crazy jumping position and then pulling google maps with it

I use google maps on CarPlay for navigation and on several occasions the car has suddenly completely changed it’s location in the country by several 10s of miles (particularly useful in central london). I had assumed it was a google maps issue and having pulled over and downpowered rebooted the phone it still had the issue,

after literally getting out the car and head scratching for 20mins got back in and switched everything back on and it seemed fine

well yesterday it happened again and so I pulled over and disconnected CarPlay and my phone immediately corrected its position, connected car play and my phone immediately switched position to where the car though it was
didnthis several times and happened each time

I was touring smoke sites around the Bromley area of London and so had to disconnect CarPlay and use the phone propped on the dash

interesting during this entire afternoon the car had no clue where I was. At one stage I was in the English Channel just off the coast of Hythe

so how is the car overruling google maps on my phone and corrupting it’s position - can this be resolved ??

picture for a laugh showing the contrast
In the photo you show the cars built in nav, not CarPlay?

Scoobystig

Jun 12, 2021
In the photo you show the cars built in nav, not CarPlay?
Yes so I can demonstrate how massively wrong it is compared to google maps on my phones GPS
when the carplay connects it overrides the phones Gps and moves my position on google maps to match where the car thinks it is

here’s a picture of the 2x locations I managed to be in at the same time and the distance between them

as soon as I allow CarPlay to connect google maps relocates to the position in the English Channel

Attachments

• D21DBF3F-27F7-4D37-9B8E-9382870AC19E.png
    D21DBF3F-27F7-4D37-9B8E-9382870AC19E.png
    478 KB · Views: 120

level9eleven

Jul 18, 2017
London
Same story here, occasionally the GPS starts drifting off the actual route and can end up being miles away. Disconnecting the CarPlay will resolve the positioning error in the phone but not in the built-in satnav.
Once it showed me I was near Peterborough whilst actually driving in central London.

Captured it on the video and sent the car to Twickenham Cupra along with the common magnitude of other glitches widely discussed here. They were absolutely useless in that they only updated the software which surely enough had no effect on the problem whatsoever.
Looks like the dealer doesn't even want to dig into the issues and simply hopes for the much-awaited new software from VAG to cure them all one day.

Reactions: Tell and Scoobystig

Scoobystig

Jun 12, 2021
Same story here, occasionally the GPS starts drifting off the actual route and can end up being miles away. Disconnecting the CarPlay will resolve the positioning error in the phone but not in the built-in satnav.
Once it showed me I was near Peterborough whilst actually driving in central London.

Captured it on the video and sent the car to Twickenham Cupra along with the common magnitude of other glitches widely discussed here. They were absolutely useless in that they only updated the software which surely enough had no effect on the problem whatsoever.
Looks like the dealer doesn't even want to dig into the issues and simply hopes for the much-awaited new software from VAG to cure them all one day.
I can’t even get a response from my dealer. Had to go straight to CUPRA customer services

not very happy in paying monthly lease on a vehicle that doesn’t work for me, this coupled with the huge ACC problem just makes driving hard work

beginning to miss the Ford Kuga

Hizzards

Aug 19, 2021

It’s either a case of they don’t have to care because “what are you going to do about it?” or there’s no point caring because they can’t get hold of new cars

If you give it back they just sell it to the line of people waiting for cars.

Car Salesmen only care about commission

Reactions: Tell

level9eleven

Jul 18, 2017
London
Totally agree with the above. Certainly we have an option to escalate the issue and likely make them take the cars back for a full refund.
But I ask myself: what options am I left with then?

As someone who has driven hundreds of different cars, I'm realistically quite tied up to the MQB platform cars since they provide the most balanced driving experience IMHO. At the same time, I heard the other new MQB Evo siblings are suffering from the same curse as well. So place an order for an alternative car and wait 6+ months to potentially encounter exactly the same problem? Not much of a choice left.

And indeed, with the current market situation, Seat/Cupra would certainly lose nothing if we return our cars.
Hopefully, guys in VW AG HQ understand they can ruin the hard-earned brand reputation if they don't resolve these bugs ASAP, so probably at least one major factor that can motivate them.

Reactions: Hizzards

Tell

Staff member
The MQB Evo ones all have the same system problems across the brands, that leaves the other post 2020- with the Mib3 issue. Existing models escaped lightly. Reckon diesel gate has a bearing that they reduced QA to save money running on a wing and pray. Management not understanding software. False economy. Only my view mind you.

Tell

Staff member
Intriguing issue with Car Play. I'm staying put on mib2 high 😂.... it's a mature product. Reckon the failed attempts of Seat apps with mib2 high and then mib2 standard with WiFi were a good indicator 🤣. I thought it was just Seat that couldn't write the software but seems all branches can't... oh dear.

Pity when people look for Apple / Google solutions on the rest of the car... still I won't gloat. With the PCP / lease contract model its starting to look like a car crash. May be in the German market they have time to sort things out.

Aug 14, 2021
Epsom
Whenever this has happened to me I often also get the SOS error at the same time.

It has happened without the SOS error but each time is happens the connectivity has failed and the car loses the globe and man icons in the top right of the screen.

I notice in you photos that the connectivity icons are also missing. Do you normally have them? Pressing the SOS call button clears this for me 99% of the time although this has failed once when in the New Forest.

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
I'm wondering whether it's GPS radio interference between the built in unit and the Apple phone. On normal GPS I got put 555 miles out yesterday on a walk, hills, heavy cloud. Happended last year as well. It was using two satellites or so. So loss of GPS signal view throws the accuracy out. If so, poor testing by VAG with Apple equipment. It also gets that effect with GPS jamming equipment as the accuracy deteriorated as the number of locked on satellites declines (had that in the Middle East). Reckon that's the issue, radio interference within the car that effects Apple phones.

Last edited:

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
I can see that this is not the same issue, but one time during my 5000 miles I had my satnav start misbehaving. It was a really bizarre situation where for about 50 miles my satnav was misplacing me on the map by at least miles (I was driving so hard to really measure). It did not seem to be jumping randomly but rather that I was offset by several miles from my location. I know it's not map related as I drove the same route multiple times.

Next time I got into the car, GPS/sat nav worked as normal.

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
i only use google maps on wireless android auto works awesome....the built in is garbage in comparison...
I keep reading statements like that, and I wonder in what way is Google maps (other than being more up to date of cousre) a so much better pefoming product? I have (fortunately it seems) an MIB2 high, and the native nav works perfectly well - much better than the versions I had in my A4 and S3 when it comes to re-routing on the fly.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.