Sat Nav Rns310

PhildFR

Dec 20, 2009
I've had my Leon Fr since December and love just about everything about it but there is one aspect that I'm not very happy about!! Is it just me or is the Sat Nav a bit rubbish? I've only used it a handful of times but when i do I find it very frustrating to use.

I live in Shropshire and I've ran the Sat Nav when driving to some work locations and cannot see the reason why you cannot input full postcodes into the unit. Why is this?

The manual states that it will only except the first 5 characters of a postcode then when this is done you can select the actual address from a list but from my experiences so far the list can then be huge( I'm thinking postcode areas in Shropshire might be bigger than others)

Then the other day the family went for a day out at Drayton Manor Park so I thought I would give the Sat Nav another go, Went to the park website got the post code inputted it into the unit then got a huge list of street names (Yet Again) I then had to select a road name which i knew was close by and then search through the points of interest function on the unit to find the Park!!!! Not Acceptable I'm afraid. I would expect more for a unit that cost over £700

Also the unit never remembers the voice volume aswell which is also very frustrating

This is a software issue I'm sure! Can someone explain why the unit can't accept full postcodes and whether this is the case for the VW and Skoda systems?

What are your experiences of the Sat Nav ? Would welcome any views or advice!!!

webhype

Mar 30, 2008
Wakefield
www.8baller.co.uk
hey

had my facelift cupra a few months now with the satnav. My experiance with it is...its not bad.

Regarding the price, you gotta, remember its not just a satnav unit and its properly integrated into the cars systems, so far me the extra few hundred quid over a seperate radio and satnav unit, im happy to pay.

In general the actual guidance of the satnav has been good for me, but you always have to have an idea of where your going, just blindly following any satnavs is risky lol.

full postcodes, yeah kinda annoying i suppose, however iv never really had much of an issue as the streets normally show up for me to select, although like you, sometimes the street i want isnt there which yeah, is annoying lol.

Sorry i carnt offer any advice, but in general i like the rns310, i had the rns510 aftermarket in my lat mk2 cupra, that was better but this 310 unit seems abit better integrated.

LP6

You can set the preferred guidance volume in "setup - tone/sound - volume - navigation volume" or something like that, I may not remember it totally right.
Well, at least this should take care of it unless you do have a software issue on your system.

-LP-

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 3, 2009
Walsall, West Mids
There is an option to set the volume for the voice guidance and mine has retained what i set it to.

I've only found the postcode search being limited and the amount of streets given a problem once so far and i ended up doing a POI search for what i wanted (hotel) and it found it perfectly. Even used a quicker route than i had going there previously.

Overall i think all SatNav units are compromised in one way or another, i find the RNS310 gives about as good a stab at it as any other integrated unit would.

PhildFR

Dec 20, 2009
Thanks for the replies I've had a play with the volume settings on the unit and will try again when i leave work!!! I've never used any Sat Nav unit before so it's very hard to compare so maybe I am being a little harsh on it. The navigation itself is good and I take the point that the cost was for the whole package and not just the Sat Nav.

However I still think with a software update to allow full postcode entries( if possible) would make the unit so much better and I'm still not sure why it doesn't

Sep 3, 2009
Walsall, West Mids
Thanks for the replies I've had a play with the volume settings on the unit and will try again when i leave work!!! I've never used any Sat Nav unit before so it's very hard to compare so maybe I am being a little harsh on it. The navigation itself is good and I take the point that the cost was for the whole package and not just the Sat Nav.

However I still think with a software update to allow full postcode entries( if possible) would make the unit so much better and I'm still not sure why it doesn't

i agree on the software update side of things, a full postcode search would benefit the satnav massively as would speed camera notice imo.

i know its a Blaupunkt unit so maybe a check of there support site might give some results !?

PhildFR

Dec 20, 2009
I agree but like I said in my original post it would be interesting to find out if the units in VW and Skoda have the same limitations and if they don't then it's down to the SEAT Software.

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
The RNS510 has been out for a good while longer (3 years+) and doesn't have full post code support. A five character length postcode does for the rest of Europe, so we suffer in silence. It's not a limitation of the maps either, I'm guess it would mean a rewrite of the navigation software integration or they'd have done it by now.

ghazy12

Rns 310 & 510...

hey guys...

first of all, thank you for the topic...

i just wanna ask about RNS 310 & 510 for my new leon facelift... which one is better and how much??

in fact i want to buy the full package, and here i mean all the following (Original Parts)...

- RNS 310 or 510
- Parking sensors (Front + Rear)
- Rear camera if it's available to work with the RNS enen 310 or 510

i need your advice my friends which is better than the other, and from where to buy in (USA or UK), and how much that will cost me..???

sorry cuz my questions are too many... but i have searched for along time but negative :cry:

thank you very much for your help...

lee171181

I too am not happy with the sat nav having previously used a Tom Tom, I gave up with the postcode search ages ago as it was just not finding anywhere I wanted to go so I now search for destination via town first then street then number. The problem is that even when I put the town in, half the time it still doesn't find the street I want and these have been major roads around London but their just not on there!!!

Some kind of update definetly needed i think!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise