Seat alloys - corrosion

JayTse

A Natural Petrolhead....
Dec 4, 2008
Runcorn//Barnsley//Newcastle
When i washed my car yesterday, i noticed that 2 of my alloys have started corroding from a slight damage chip on the outer rim.. (not kerbed) its probably down to the fact that the last time i drove it, the roads was full of salt and its been left standing on my driveway ever since (1.5weeks)..

would I be able to get these back on a seat warranty at all? or has it gotta be a refurb job?

these are the Seat BBS 18s by the way..

Carr20vt

Dec 18, 2003
South Wales
Visit site
When i washed my car yesterday, i noticed that 2 of my alloys have started corroding from a slight damage chip on the outer rim.. (not kerbed) its probably down to the fact that the last time i drove it, the roads was full of salt and its been left standing on my driveway ever since (1.5weeks)..

would I be able to get these back on a seat warranty at all? or has it gotta be a refurb job?

these are the Seat BBS 18s by the way..

Loads on this recently especially those exact alloys.
Warranty is very unlikely.

SSimpson3

Sep 1, 2008
Insch, Aberdeenshire
i have a thread on this subject if you search for it, i have the same alloys and im not getting them replaced after lots of arguing with the stealers the only reply i got was i had to pay 140 per alloy and the would send my old ones to customer services and if the agree i would get a refund

JayTse

A Natural Petrolhead....
Dec 4, 2008
seems quite shitty that mate, hope you got most of it sorted by now..

i know that one of my alloys have started corrosion due to slight chip caused by the tyre fitters... but still, shouldnt have corroded the way it has...

and the other one is more noticeable but i think its a result to a dodgy pot hole..

Last edited:

RobsCupra

Oct 21, 2008
Wrexham
I've just gone through this with Seat, if the alloys are unchipped they will replace them, if they are chipped they class it as wear and tear I'm afraid.

I'm going to have to have mine refurbed

JayTse

A Natural Petrolhead....
Dec 4, 2008
can i quickly confirm that these alloys are diamond cut aswell?

as i got a call about it today from a refurb guy(back-up if it all goes tits up) and he says since the corrosion has already started to set in, they would have to send it off to get it repolished etc and the total bill will be about 110-120 for the alloys including fixing the chipped damage...

the other alternative is that i could get all four wheels off and have it stripped of the polish lacquer and have them coloured like any other alloy for £180 all in...

i kinda got the hint that its the polish lacquer thats allowing the corrosion to happen...

quite annoying really...

Last edited:

JayTse

A Natural Petrolhead....
Dec 4, 2008
right back from them, and he did say that he will post off the pictures to seat and see how they take it... but he said that its around 85% chance that they will say no..[:@]

just another waiting game now...

JayTse

A Natural Petrolhead....
Dec 4, 2008
wear and tear isnt it? anoying but you can refurb them for £50 per wheel, hunt out a mobile unit.

yeah but not for such a short life span... mines only 1.5 yrs old..

plus these alloys are a type of rims which have lacquer applied to them. but it seems that as soon as that seal is broken, corrosion can set in and get under the lacquer and corrode the alloy..

pretty crap design saying these roads are not the best anyway..

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise