Jan 22, 2019
What have they done to the mirrors :cry:

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1580333638620.jpg
    FB_IMG_1580333638620.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 144

unkl77

Apr 5, 2015
So it seems the Leon is copying the Golf in flip flopping from good to bad and back again! There’s not a great deal of originality of first glances, the last car stood out, this blends in. Does anyone think it looks high, a bit mini SUV?

Loved my 280, looks and performance.

I’ve left VW group cars since the summer for the first time in 20 years, this Leon won’t get me back on what I’ve seen.

Reactions: fozziebear73

RoadkillGoat

Nov 29, 2019
Looks about as good as the new mk8 golf which was a massive step back from the mk7.5.

Actually the leon looks worse that full rear light no no no no

Reactions: fozziebear73

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
So it seems the Leon is copying the Golf in flip flopping from good to bad and back again! There’s not a great deal of originality of first glances, the last car stood out, this blends in. Does anyone think it looks high, a bit mini SUV?

Loved my 280, looks and performance.

I’ve left VW group cars since the summer for the first time in 20 years, this Leon won’t get me back on what I’ve seen.

You say the Mk3 stood out, but did it? 99% of the comments when it launched were "bland" "doesn't stand out" etc etc. Having seen the MK4 in the flesh I'd say the MK4 is nicer than the MK3. And its no higher at all.

Rear light looks decent in the flesh as well.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
You say the Mk3 stood out, but did it? 99% of the comments when it launched were "bland" "doesn't stand out" etc etc. Having seen the MK4 in the flesh I'd say the MK4 is nicer than the MK3. And its no higher at all.

I was the other way, when the mk3 leon came out i loved it, didnt own one until 2018.

see i thought the mk2 leon was ugly so was impressed with the mk3

Last edited:
Reactions: mdaw1985

unkl77

Apr 5, 2015

I must admit when I first saw the mk3 I thought better than mk2 but not for me. The sharp edge theme throughout put me off BUT I grew to like.

I loved my mk1, didn’t get the mk2 (sorry owners!) and eventually got the mk3- the 3 had a design direction I didn’t like at first, but the mk4 seems to be a mish mash- softer lines but hard in other areas (ie light arrangement). The steering shows it well, it’s a half way house that looks like it’s melted!

Mk4 side profile looks BMW 1 series to me, a a little X2. I know it actually sits lower than t he mk3 but visually the side lines make it look like it’s sitting higher.

I’m sure the Cupra will be competent, but is that all we’re after?

I've left the hatch market altogether and have bought a Alfa Giulia, which probably means I’m living in the past, but so far it’s been really good (love the outside look, particularly rear three quarter, dynamics excellent and I can cope with the hard plastics low down inside (reminds me of the Leon mk3 that way!)

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I must admit when I first saw the mk3 I thought better than mk2 but not for me. The sharp edge theme throughout put me off BUT I grew to like.

I loved my mk1, didn’t get the mk2 (sorry owners!) and eventually got the mk3- the 3 had a design direction I didn’t like at first, but the mk4 seems to be a mish mash- softer lines but hard in other areas (ie light arrangement). The steering shows it well, it’s a half way house that looks like it’s melted!

Mk4 side profile looks BMW 1 series to me, a a little X2. I know it actually sits lower than t he mk3 but visually the side lines make it look like it’s sitting higher.

I’m sure the Cupra will be competent, but is that all we’re after?

I've left the hatch market altogether and have bought a Alfa Giulia, which probably means I’m living in the past, but so far it’s been really good (love the outside look, particularly rear three quarter, dynamics excellent and I can cope with the hard plastics low down inside (reminds me of the Leon mk3 that way!)

Please tell me its a Giulia Quadrifoglio?

unkl77

Apr 5, 2015
Please tell me its a Giulia Quadrifoglio?

Ha ha, I wish!

It’s the Veloce so 280bhp, it’s not as raw as the Cupra in the way it delivers but lots of torque (400nm)- steering is pin sharp!

Back to the Leon, hopefully the Cupra will address some of my issues with the mk4, but I hope it doesn’t go the Civic Type R route of being too over the top.

Signor Whippy

Mar 16, 2009
God's Country
Ha ha, I wish!

It’s the Veloce so 280bhp, it’s not as raw as the Cupra in the way it delivers but lots of torque (400nm)- steering is pin sharp!

Back to the Leon, hopefully the Cupra will address some of my issues with the mk4, but I hope it doesn’t go the Civic Type R route of being too over the top.

I looked into getting a Giulia but settled on a Cupra Ateca. Every time I see a Giulia on the road, it always gets a second glance from me, they are a great looking car. One thing I couldn't get my head around them is that the petrol rev limit is like a diesel?!

Reactions: unkl77

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
My initial reaction is I prefer the look of the mk3, which is fine cause I'm looking to change from my 12 year old mk2 and might just opt for a good deal on a new/nearly new mk3 :) However as others have said this might change, especially once I see one in the metal, I might prefer it. Whether it's an age thing or not I don't know (I'm getting closer and closer to 50!) however like some others I despair of the 'bolt-on' look of the infotainment system. Also, if it's true certain functions can only be operated via it as oppose to good old buttons/knobs e.g. AC, that in itself is enough for me not to buy it. Whilst I understand things need to advance/progress, one thing I don't agree with is vehicles becoming ever more tech managed e.g. electric this electric that, stop-start, fake exhaust notes etc. Suppose it's all subjective. Cars are becoming more and more like mobile devices as oppose to vehicles! And all the more to go wrong (and have to pay for) if you intend to keep the car 5+ years … which of course they don't want you to do … unless you continue to use their dealers for maintenance, servicing and repairs that is :)

A9BNL

Mar 6, 2019
I expected more from the new design, its nice to see that they have keep some detail alive such as the crease lines. I haven't seen the car in person as would be buying the cupra version anyway but i dont like what i see inside the cabin so i hope that this is an area which receives a make over in the cupra; internal air grilles for one look cheap, cheap silver/plastic trims, terrrible DSG shift stick to name but afew.

Xrb

Nov 27, 2017
it is a very generic design, well executed and I like it more then
I thought I would, but its not daring or original enough, its has the same elements repeated in sooo many generic cars, it looks like it aims to fit and blend in... From all the mass of generic cars, I like this one, but its still part of the boring same old dont want to be different mass.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
I'm reserving judgement on the looks until I've seen one in the flesh, but tbh it doesn't instantly have the wow factor.
What I really don't like is the current trend of the 'stuck on the dash like an afterthought' tablet style infotainment systems that all manufacturers seem to be doing now - and putting stuff like heater controls on it is a really stupid and potentially dangerous idea. At least with buttons and levers you can feel for them without taking your eyes off the road.

Reactions: DEAN0

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
it is a very generic design, well executed and I like it more then
I thought I would, but its not daring or original enough, its has the same elements repeated in sooo many generic cars, it looks like it aims to fit and blend in... From all the mass of generic cars, I like this one, but its still part of the boring same old dont want to be different mass.

It is undoubtedly true if you were to line various cars up beside each other these days, badge hidden, it would be very difficult to pick out certain makes/models unless you're really into your cars. What's making it even worse is all this guff about design ethos etc within certain brands meaning their mini/medium/large models all look pretty much alike. Ever more bland, ever more generic as you say.

Nathan penney

Jul 8, 2017
Liverpool
I'm reserving judgement on the looks until I've seen one in the flesh, but tbh it doesn't instantly have the wow factor.
What I really don't like is the current trend of the 'stuck on the dash like an afterthought' tablet style infotainment systems that all manufacturers seem to be doing now - and putting stuff like heater controls on it is a really stupid and potentially dangerous idea. At least with buttons and levers you can feel for them without taking your eyes off the road.
I totally agree with all that. Why put everything on one screen?
I know you’ll get used to where everything is on menus etc but it must be very distracting for the first few weeks of ownership trying to navigate round these things while driving.
Mate of mine has a new Merc. When he first picked me up in it he asked ‘what colour do you want the interior lights?’
‘I couldn’t give two hoots what colour the lights are just get us to the Indian take away.’ Lol
Even reading a car magazine now is half reading about the car and half reading about how big it’s info screen is.
Mk1 leon all the way for me!!
Steering wheel, gear knob, CD player
Sorted!

unkl77

Apr 5, 2015
I looked into getting a Giulia but settled on a Cupra Ateca. Every time I see a Giulia on the road, it always gets a second glance from me, they are a great looking car. One thing I couldn't get my head around them is that the petrol rev limit is like a diesel?!

You made me try tonight- gave up at 6k as the speed way north of what it should have been, limiter not hit but yeah red starts low.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I know you’ll get used to where everything is on menus etc but it must be very distracting for the first few weeks of ownership trying to navigate round these things while driving.
Mate of mine has a new Merc. When he first picked me up in it he asked ‘what colour do you want the interior lights?’
‘I couldn’t give two hoots what colour the lights are just get us to the Indian take away.’ Lol
Even reading a car magazine now is half reading about the car and half reading about how big it’s info screen is.
Sorted!
Mk mk3 infotainment screen does not boot up when temps are below freezing.

can you imagine that in the mk4, infotainment screen wont boot up cause its too cold as it needs warmed up, yet you cant put the heating to warm the screen up. So cannot defrost the car. I can see this being a big issue to come

Reactions: Seriously?

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Sorted!
And even when you know where everything is in the menu, you'll still have to look at it. And all this when it's illegal to use your mobile whilst on the move because it's deemed distracting - which it is.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.