SEAT have ruined the LEON

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
My 2016 VW has a convenient button on the lower section of the B pillar trim to switch off the interior motion sensors for the alarm if you need to leave the family dog in the car for short periods of time. VW have since deleted this button, and the facility to switch off the motion sensor in current VW’s is now buried in a sub menu, accessed via the infotainment screen. The Leon is the same - deactivation is by a menu setting accessed via the infotainment screen.

What could be easier than pressing a button on the B pillar to deactivate the interior motion sensor though? But it no doubt costs more to have a button to switch this function off, so we’re forced to navigate menus to do the same thing because it’s cheaper for VAG, even though IMO it’s much less intuitive for the customer.
You can also deactivate the interior sensors by pressing the 'lock' button on the remote twice in quick succession.

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
I’m not a technophobe; in-car tech plays a useful role in the modern car. But IMO it needs to be designed into the car in a way that makes it safe and easy to use without causing distractions to the driver, that might result in an accident through loss of driver concentration.
I can't help feeling that the intention will be for the common settings to be adjusted via voice commands rather than via the touchscreen. If this is the case, I hope their voice recognition software is better than anything I've seen to date.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I too have been looking elsewhere-in case it was dog-Kia Ceed and Hyundai N30 attracted me, new Mazda cx30 et all, still will wait till I’ve sat my butt in the car.

Xrb

Nov 27, 2017
It is undoubtedly true if you were to line various cars up beside each other these days, badge hidden, it would be very difficult to pick out certain makes/models unless you're really into your cars. What's making it even worse is all this guff about design ethos etc within certain brands meaning their mini/medium/large models all look pretty much alike. Ever more bland, ever more generic as you say.
Exactly, I really dont like the trend that all cars look exactly the same in a brand, its like the same car but fat, skinny, tall, large or small. Although I fail to see a Seat identity in their new designs, truly if you take off the badges, what makes it a Seat? It has no distinctive identity... I go back to this image

Attachments

• IMG_7399.jpg
    IMG_7399.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 195

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Noooo, I hope the Cupra would at least have real exhausts! I actually prefer the El-Born... at least that one doesn't have the strange looking (in my opinion) DRLs..

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Will the new Leon have a heated windscreen?quick Demist like the fords ?
VW offered it as an option on the mk7 / mk7.5 Golf - available on all models other than the entry level S and the GTE. It cost £320 in 2019.

There are a couple of the new mk8 Golf models up on the configurator on the VW website and the heated screen isn’t shown as an option. Can’t see it’s part of the standard spec though so it may have been dropped. So I’d say if it’s no longer available on the Golf, it’s unlikely it’ll be offered on the new Leon.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
VW offered it as an option on the mk7 / mk7.5 Golf - available on all models other than the entry level S and the GTE. It cost £320 in 2019.

There are a couple of the new mk8 Golf models up on the configurator on the VW website and the heated screen isn’t shown as an option. Can’t see it’s part of the standard spec though so it may have been dropped. So I’d say if it’s no longer available on the Golf, it’s unlikely it’ll be offered on the new Leon.
All cars should have them to be fair

Leonfr140

Aug 18, 2013
East Sussex
Can see it on some press shots that came out, but we also get stuffed here in the UK with specs, just like an upgraded sound system no doubt

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
The trouble in my mind is, while heated screens are brilliant and possibly even a safety +, they consume a serious amount of energy, okay just for a short period if used sensibly, so that goes against reducing energy used and so car makers might be using that as a very good excuse for not including them!

Mikeyh22

Oct 18, 2014
Bolton
Mine is coming up to 3 years old (it’s the second new leon I’ve owned) but there’s nothing special looking at the mk4 that wants me to get another one. The worst thing is that it’s £30k list to get another with similar spec to mine. Mine cost low £20k with discounts etc. No way am I spending £30k. I think I would be better buying something like a 320d 1 year old for mid £20k’s. It’s nice having a new car that no one else has had but not this much for a seat leon.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Mine is coming up to 3 years old (it’s the second new leon I’ve owned) but there’s nothing special looking at the mk4 that wants me to get another one. The worst thing is that it’s £30k list to get another with similar spec to mine. Mine cost low £20k with discounts etc. No way am I spending £30k. I think I would be better buying something like a 320d 1 year old for mid £20k’s. It’s nice having a new car that no one else has had but not this much for a seat leon.

There do seem to be some good deals on 2019 F30/F31's around at the minute: low miles, £25-30K. I'm with you in thinking that I'd rather pay that for a Beemer with 1500 miles on it having let someone else take the hit on the depreciation, than a new Leon unfortunately.

Reactions: Mikeyh22

unkl77

Apr 5, 2015

That sums up why I moved away from all hot hatches which are at that are now unbelievably at that price. I remember thinking no one would buy a Golf GTI for 20k, then I did (mk5)!

After my 280, I paid 30k for a brand new Alfa Giulia Veloce, a great discount and feels more value than a 30k Cupra.

Mikeyh22

Oct 18, 2014
Bolton
I’ve had some good deals from the dealer (Johnson’s Liverpool) with the last 2 new cars and they have treated me like a valued customer rather than just a sales target. I got 0% finance and a good deal on the trade in. I do think Seat are losing their target audience by charging £30k for the Leon. The things that attracted me are it’s a good looking car (mk3) with VW underpinnings but at a cheaper price than the equivalent Golf.

Reactions: RUM4MO and unkl77

unkl77

Apr 5, 2015
I’ve had some good deals from the dealer (Johnson’s Liverpool) with the last 2 new cars and they have treated me like a valued customer rather than just a sales target. I got 0% finance and a good deal on the trade in. I do think Seat are losing their target audience by charging £30k for the Leon. The things that attracted me are it’s a good looking car (mk3) with VW underpinnings but at a cheaper price than the equivalent Golf.

Those reasons are why I had a mk1 and mk3. It seems odd numbers rather than even numbers work for the Leon! (obviously only my opinion)

Fozzy84

Apr 23, 2012
Crewe Seat have their Mk4 Leon FR arrive today!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 210

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Nice! didn't expect any to hit the UK anytime soon, will go take a look down at HQ later bet there's a few parked up.

I've seen it in the flesh already anyway.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I was in a Seat dealers yesterday and there was a new Leon sitting in front of the showroom. I happened to say to the salesman that I won't be buying one and he said 'We haven't had a single positive comment about that car. Not one'.

Not one of the people who've come in and looked at it have had a good thing to say about it. This car is going to tank so badly. Hopefully not Primera P12 badly but Seat have built the wrong car.

markm49uk

Oct 15, 2015
Hull,UK
I was in a Seat dealers yesterday and there was a new Leon sitting in front of the showroom. I happened to say to the salesman that I won't be buying one and he said 'We haven't had a single positive comment about that car. Not one'.

Not one of the people who've come in and looked at it have had a good thing to say about it. This car is going to tank so badly. Hopefully not Primera P12 badly but Seat have built the wrong car.
I'm not surprised really - looking at that FR picture posted above I'd have to agree.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise