Seat Ibiza 1.2TSI FR DSG vs Other Cars

jc74

Dec 7, 2015
Seat Ibiza 1.2TSI FR DSG vs Other Cars

I bought my 2013 Seat Ibiza 1.2 TSI FR almost 3 years ago now, and ran it as my daily car for the first 6 months, before it was used elsewhere and now again with 20,000 miles and 2 and a half years use.
During that time I have ran various other cars and just for the potential interest to others, I’ll give my opinion on how I feel they compare to the Ibiza. My daily commute is 7 miles each way, with little traffic early in the morning and lots of traffic in the evening. I also get to drive at the weekend.
Note these comparisons are just that, the cars are not necessarily competitors, in the same class or price ranges, but just giving my observations.

Mk3 Hyundai Santa Fe: I liked this car in theory, and it handled bad roads very well, more comfortable than the Seat, and very practical. However despite the similar 0-60 figures, this car felt sluggish compared to the Seat once you passed about 30mph. I think it must be all the extra weight. And cornering, well you thought you’d fall out of the car or roll it going around most corners at anything other than a snails pace. The Seat definitely beat it in every way driving wise.

E93 BMW 325i SE Convertible Auto: I drove this for about 3 months. The BMW leather interior is nicer than the Seat, the 6 cylinder engine sounds better however, being an older car, it suffered from rattles (especially with the roof down) and a few electrical issues with random warnings. In terms of drive, it definitely felt less agile than the Seat, and didn’t really feel any faster around town unless you pushed it hard.

Mk2 Audi TTS S-Tronic: Again, around town this car driving didn’t feel much faster than the Seat. However in sport mode or if you get above 2500rpm, this thing became a rocket. This car did suffer badly from turbo lag below 2000rpm, to the extent that the Seat actually felt more responsive below around 1500rpm.
The suspension was firm though, and the car had a lot of tyre noise at motorway speeds. To the point the I felt the Seat was actually the quieter and more comfortable motorway driver out of the two!
The interior was definitely a class above the Seat, though I think Audi to the best interiors. Despite being a small car, it had long doors so a pain to get out of sometimes in parking spaces

Audi S5 Sportback V6T: Acceleration wise, was definitely more responsive than the Seat pretty much all the time, the interior quality was the best so far. Had a nice growl in dynamic mode. Was a comfortable motorway cruiser especially with adaptive cruise control etc. The Seat was a lot more nimble though and more fun around corners. It is also a very long car so a pain to park and I had to get out of parking spaces carefully

Range Rover Evoque SD4 Auto: Compare with the Seat, this car suffers huge turbo lag until about 1700rpm. Around town, unless you boot it, it doesn’t feel any quicker than the Seat. It’s a very wide car and a pain in parking spaces. It has picked up numerous scratches and dings on the doors as a result of this. Interior is much better than the Seat, as you’d expect. It is also much better ride comfort, but then it’s an SUV. Definitely not as much fun to drive as the Seat.

Porsche Boxster 987 PDK: This has the Seat beaten for driving dynamics and acceleration. However it’s a pain to drive in the rain, and the Seat does have much better visibility, and is more practical.

Porsche 911 997 PDK: Again this has the Seat beaten for performance and driving fun. Interestingly, when you are driving the Seat at 40mph and this at 40mph, you feel you’re doing about 20mph in the Seat in comparison. The loud exhaust and engine noise really add to the sensation of speed. To be fair though, you can still have at least 50% of the fun in the Seat on the same roads…

Jaguar F-Type V6S: This thing sounds so loud compared to the Seat (or just about anything else). You can have a lot of fun in this car, but mainly making noises etc. It’s a very heavy car, definitely feels less agile than the Seat. In terms of performance, this thing is set up not to be driven gently so as a result, it just feels quick all the time. Down sides, almost zero practicality, long and wide with wide doors, so a real pain to park compared to the Seat. Also, if you want to drive off quietly, best leave it at home and take the Seat – otherwise you’ll wake up the neighbours. Definitely less reliable than the Seat, with various electrical and mechanical issues. Very firm ride, to the point where it really isn’t very comfortable around town, car park up ramps will get the bottom scraped unless you’re very slow. On the roads with speed bumps etc, the Seat is definitely the faster better choice!

So far during the time I’ve owned the Seat Ibiza, it’s never so far let anyone down. I’ve just replaced all 4 tyres (rears were half worn but one side had a nail in it) and everything is going perfectly. Ok it’s picked up 4 scuffed alloys and a few dings etc, but all that is just cosmetic.
Although I would not say the Seat is better overall than most of the cars I’ve compared it against (given the sector it’s in you wouldn’t reasonable expect it to), I think it does stand up well against a fair few of them. It was by far the best car to park out of all of them, since it is narrow, short and has short doors!
Given the price point of the Seat, I think it shows what a great little car they’ve come up with in my opinion.

So in summary:-
- More agile than a bmw 3 series
- better cornering than a hyundai santa or a range rover evoque
- less low end turbo lag than an audi tts or range rover evoque
- more practical and better over speed bumps than a porsche boxster, 911or f-type
- easier to park than any of the other cars.

And I'd say it's the best all round car for the purpose of which I'm using it for.
:)

Last edited:

Oldbutswift

Mar 23, 2016
Very brave of you to compare an Ibiza to cars that are totally different!
TBH I would not attempt that although I've had all sorts over the years,in recent times a 350Z and an old TVR S3 which bear no resemblance at all!
In fact my Ibiza (1.4 tsi FR...estate version) doesn't arrive until next week but after a few weeks I will compare it...to a 2012 Fabia vRS and to a 2014 Suzuki Swift Sport,very valid comparisons I think.

jc74

Dec 7, 2015
Very brave of you to compare an Ibiza to cars that are totally different!
TBH I would not attempt that although I've had all sorts over the years,in recent times a 350Z and an old TVR S3 which bear no resemblance at all!
In fact my Ibiza (1.4 tsi FR...estate version) doesn't arrive until next week but after a few weeks I will compare it...to a 2012 Fabia vRS and to a 2014 Suzuki Swift Sport,very valid comparisons I think.

Just comparing from the perspective as an everyday driver, and trying to point out that in fact it compares up remarkably well in that role. But I do take your point that the comparisons are so totally different so it is arguable how valid any of this is.

CRNeo

Feb 5, 2016
Liverpool
I had a Ibiza as a courtesy car recently while my mk2 leon was in for some work, I have to say I like the look of the Ibiza and this had the same 1.6tdi as my mk2 leon in which is fine for my current driving.

Overall I thought it was a nice drive but is it only me who thinks the interior is just crap? It seems so cheap... especially the dash? Maybe the trim is better in the FR but I was considering an FR ST as a replacement in a few years for the leon but now I'm not so sure... think my mk2 interior is a nicer place to be.

Last edited:

jc74

Dec 7, 2015
I had a Ibiza as a courtesy car recently while my mk2 leon was in for some work, I have to say I like the look of the Ibiza and this had the same 1.6tdi as my mk2 leon in which is fine for my current driving.

Overall I thought it was a nice drive but is it only me who thinks the interior is just crap? It seems so cheap... especially the dash? Maybe the trim is better in the FR but I was considering an FR ST as a replacement in a few years for the leon but now I'm not so sure... think my mk2 interior is a nicer place to be.

I agree with you and think the interior does seem very cheap, scratchy plastic everywhere, (in fact mine actually scratched up in places!) and every one of the other cars is a nicer place to be in asthetically.
However, it is very functional and controls are well laid out.
The FR does benefit from a reasonably nice flat bottomed perforated leather steering. Though not as soft as the leather in most of the other cars.
Also unlike many other cars, the dash has remained relatively rattle free, which has been a surprise.
The interior in my opinion is also less appealling than the mk3 Leon, mk 5, 6 and 7 Golf, mk 5 polo, f56 mini, audi a1 and audi a3
However considering the comparisons in my case I'm making, are against cars costing more and potentially several times that of the Ibiza, then it is very forgivable. Don't lose sight of where Seat is positioned in the VW group (Skoda-Seat-VW-Audi-Porsche-Bentley/lamborghini)

Don't expect a luxury car, but something functional, with reasonably comfortable seating position, cheaky urban car which is also capable on the motorway and good to drive then you shouldn't be disappointed. Especially when you factor in the huge discounts you can currently receive via car brokers at the moment.

Is it the best car, no. Is it the best value car? Probably.
It is the car I've held onto the longest though so far...

However saying that, I could be tempted into a mk3 leon when it does become time to change it...

Last edited:

bcr5784

Mar 25, 2016
Just comparing from the perspective as an everyday driver, and trying to point out that in fact it compares up remarkably well in that role. But I do take your point that the comparisons are so totally different so it is arguable how valid any of this is.

It's something roadests rarely do - and hence interesting. Certainly when you are comparing something like a Porsche with an Ibiza roadtests often seem to use different criteria. What would be unacceptable in a saloon (ride/road noise) is judged by different criteria in something with sporting intent. And when it comes to fun, it's not necessarily the most dynamically capable vehicle that comes out on top.

But I'd concur with you - small is good and big is bad - or at least not so good (all things being equal)

I'll perhaps do the same when I get my Ecotsi in a month's time.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.