Seat Ibiza 1.4 tdi loss of power issue

Mar 16, 2022
I sent my seat Ibiza 1.4 tdi for a service. I got oil, oil filter, cabin filter and coolant flushed out and replaced. The next day when I drove it I noticed it wasn’t picking up power correctly. After the third day of driving I noticed it decrease even more and the glow plug light started flashing on the motorway. I took it to a garage and the guy just reset the light and said it should be sorted now.

he was very weird and didn’t give much details but said I have like a bad coolant or something Idek. I drove it the next day on the motorway and the glow plug light started flashing again. Then the engine management light is now permanently on. The glow light dissapears and returns only when I hit high speeds. The turbo is delayed. So I took it for another reading somewhere else and it came up as the turbo and egr valve as faults. The mechanic said he thinks it’s the turbo as it isn’t going in fully and that’s why there’s lack of power. My brake light is also on and has been on after service. It isn’t the bulb because I’ve replaced it yet it’s still on. Don’t know if it’s related. Another garage has said it’s the DPF filter and it could be clogged.
But it doesn’t make sense. It can’t be coincidence all these issues come after the service? If they were faulty wouldn’t noticed way before.

none of this makes sense. Does anyone have any idea or experienced anything similar? I don’t want to spend too much on the car and don’t have the time with uni etc. hoping it isn’t a big issue.

Apr 30, 2021
Is it the new 1.4 tdi common rail or the old pd ?

If it is the new, the coolant change has to be made with proper diagnostic software or else it will never be correctly bled and will damage the multiple electric water pumps and of course the rest of the engine. It's a highly complex 3 circuit not like the old ones where you just let it run and it will bleed itself.

Check if the coolant is bubbling inside the reservoir and if it is at level.

Since you say your brake light is always on, after a drive, touch your disk brakes and see if they are very hot, if they are and you didn't touch your brakes, a brake piston may be stuck and it's constantly braking. Or the brake sensor is faulty and the ecu cuts the power to the engine since it thinks you're braking.

Have you checked the oil level ? Maybe they put too little or too much.

You really have to check what the faults are and fix them because in a matter of time it may not let the dpf regenerate making it go limp mode and if it reaches the point where it can't be regenerated you have to buy a new dpf.

If you're curious buy a decent obd2 bluetooth scanner and download car scanner or a similar app and tell us the fault codes.

Mar 16, 2022
Is it the new 1.4 tdi common rail or the old pd ?

If it is the new, the coolant change has to be made with proper diagnostic software or else it will never be correctly bled and will damage the multiple electric water pumps and of course the rest of the engine. It's a highly complex 3 circuit not like the old ones where you just let it run and it will bleed itself.

Check if the coolant is bubbling inside the reservoir and if it is at level.

Since you say your brake light is always on, after a drive, touch your disk brakes and see if they are very hot, if they are and you didn't touch your brakes, a brake piston may be stuck and it's constantly braking. Or the brake sensor is faulty and the ecu cuts the power to the engine since it thinks you're braking.

Have you checked the oil level ? Maybe they put too little or too much.

You really have to check what the faults are and fix them because in a matter of time it may not let the dpf regenerate making it go limp mode and if it reaches the point where it can't be regenerated you have to buy a new dpf.

If you're curious buy a decent obd2 bluetooth scanner and download car scanner or a similar app and tell us the fault codes.
The oil level was slightly low but still had enough oil in last time my friend checked, but I’ll check it myself in abit. And the last obd reading I got from the garage it came up as a faulty egr and turbo, which doesn’t make sense as they can’t coincidentally have gone faulty the day after the service? The brake light is odd.
I tried some cleaners and took it on the motorway. I’ve noticed the cars power is okay (it still lacks power compared to before) but if I go slightly uphill on the motorway or 60 and above the glow light comes on and starts flashing and then power is reduced even more.

I’m just very confused which is annoying because I want the problem to be resolved but idk where to start. I have exams and this cars causing me to run around too much. No one seems to know the exact cause when I take it to garages. And the OBD comes back as faulty egr and turbo which makes no sense. As these were perfectly fine before the service. Only after the service these issues presented themselves.

but I’ll have a look at the things you’ve said to do. Thanks for the response.

Apr 30, 2021
You didn't say what's your engine... is it CR or PD ? how much hp ? what year ?

Check the brakes as I said.

It could be coincidence or they did something wrong when they serviced your car, judging by you're saying the mechanic was weird and didn't say anything specific, the coolant was bad, well why is it bad if it was changed ?

With the engine cold, open the coolant reservoir and tell me is it pink or is it orange ? Is it clear or cloudy/muddy ?

It could be just an unplugged sensor or something more simple.

That's why, IMO, you need to start with buying an obd2 adapter asap (don't buy those blue cheap ones) if you can buy the carista or even better obdeleven, otherwise we are just playing with guesses.

You need to know the fault codes.

Mar 16, 2022
Okay so I brought an OBD scanner which arrived today. The fault codes are:

01 Engine Control Module 11 Problems exist
1,P0299 Turbo/Super Charger Underboost

08 Air Conditioning1 Problems exist
1,00705 Relay For Coolant Fan, Level 1

09 Central Electrics 2 Problems exist
1,00329 Activation For Unlocking Rear Lid 2,03224 Play Protection Active

The garage also said it was the turbo but it doesn’t add up. How did this turbo fault come a day after the service?

Apr 30, 2021
Turbo is not making enough pressure.
It can be multiple things.

I would check all the intake hoses for tears or leaks. If it is similar to the 1.6 tdi you have to take out the intercooler hose to reach the radiator one, the mechanic may not have reattached properly the intercooler hose and is leaking.
They may have broke an already weak vacuum line which are known for breaking with age when changing the filters, who knows. It can happen.

Start the engine and try to hear for air leaking.

Mar 16, 2022
I took it to another garage today and he said the turbo needs replacing. Because I got the oil changed after a year and a half, the new oil to the turbo messed it up or something like that. He’s saying it’s going to cost me 450 to replace which isn’t worth it for this car tbh. There were no air leaks or anything like that too. This is just very annoying tbh.

Mar 16, 2022
What also doesn’t make a lot of sense is the fact that the turbo works sometimes. Like I just took it out to go to the shops and the car was working perfectly fine. Turbo was working as normal. Kicking in at the correct speeds as before. It’s whenever I go uphill at 40 or motorway 65-75mph and the coil light starts flashing is when the turbo stops working and there’s reduced power.

So it doesn’t make sense to replace the whole turbo when it does seem like it works. But I just don’t know at this point.

Dec 16, 2022
I've just come across this post, im having the exact same issues as you, as soon as I hit 2500 rpm, slip road for example, the coil symbol will flash.

I have the same error codes with the turbo underboosting.

I've replaced the maf sensor and map sensor and car seems to pull a bit better but still getting the error codes, so the fault maybe somewhere else, did you manage to solve the issue ?