SEAT Ibiza Cupra Concept MY2012

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
I think the new Cupra front is a big improvement over the old model. I think the front end of the whole MK5 range was a weak point, this facelift puts that right in my eyes.
If only they would put a manual gearbox in the Cupra I could be tempted! Oh...... and five doors to ;)

dangerousdriver

Old Newbie
Feb 8, 2009
West London
I agree - infact they've actually replaced the standard head unit with a lower spec one, having transferred most of the media functionality to the portable unit.

What does this unit actually control, i'm guessing you could plug your ipod/iphone in and use the touch screen to play music? The head unit looks poo though

pr0xy

Apr 3, 2011
Anybody knows the release date for europe ? Im asking because i need to sell mine before this model gets out or price of my car will reduce radically

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

chuckb

Mo bark n' Mo grunt
Apr 4, 2010
Sunny Slough
My jury is firmly out. Looks like if you want body kit again, its order at point of purchase and not keen on the wheels. Disappointing its 1.4 tsi again :shrug: Like yellow, needs a fully black roof Imho and here I sit thinking hmmm wonder what it looks like in the flesh. Oh quite like seats. :)

Quadrablast

Mar 24, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
The wheels and the new stereo is kind of a dissapointment.. But you can always swap them to something nicer..
Its allso a little boring that they havent made more to the rear.. A spoiler maybe? And another diffusor would work aswell.

Overall i think its much nicer than the current, the fake airintakes near the f foglights are finally gone, they made the car look cheep.. Just sold my bmw z4 which i traded my 2010 cupra for so now i know what to buy
next :) If they'll sell the new cupra in Sweden ofcourse.. They didnt sold well here at all.

Last edited:

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
What does this unit actually control, i'm guessing you could plug your ipod/iphone in and use the touch screen to play music? The head unit looks poo though

Its a Navigon Media system, with Sat Nav, 32Gb hardrive and Bluetooth connected to the new RCD215. £250 option.

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
Its a Navigon Media system, with Sat Nav, 32Gb hardrive and Bluetooth connected to the new RCD215. £250 option.

That's the one. Still shame there is no way for the media system to work with the current higher spec head unit, which is really just SEAT version of the RCD 310. I had been hoping it may have been a possible retrofit.

LJA

Oct 8, 2010
Derbyshire
I love the new front end i think it looks amazing, Dont think they'll have a limited one like the Bocanegra though

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Xenons....extra
Big brakes....extra
Leather....extra
18s....extra
Nav....extra
bluetooth....extra

new engine....under warranty

No thanks although it does look nice.

nabster323

RE: Cupra

I think the new Cupra front is a big improvement over the old model. I think the front end of the whole MK5 range was a weak point, this facelift puts that right in my eyes.
If only they would put a manual gearbox in the Cupra I could be tempted! Oh...... and five doors to ;)

I have to agree with Biker, the only thing that has ever put me off of the MK5 Ibiza CUPRA is the fact that you can only get a DSG version. I am not slandering the DSG system itself, I think it's a great bit of kit and when I drove a Nissan GTR it was stunning.

Maybe I don't speak for most petrol (and diesel!) heads out there but there's something satisfying about shifting correctly, especially on private roads or events. Waiting until you hear that rev band.... Blip the throttle in a down shift when Heel-toe shifting... So satisfying! Getting a great start because you have a feel for a clutch and used the pedals correctly!

The DSG does the hard work allowing you to enjoy the drive more I suppose but to me..... As I love to feel engaged with good feedback from all aspects such as the steering I really feel the only thing missing is a manual option. There are so many people that would buy the Cupra if they provided manual as an option!

Most of the reviews on-line for it mention that as one if not the only fault. For example parker's facts and figures: http://http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/seat/ibiza/cupra-2009/

So I think that they must be trying to hide a flaw in the 1.4 twin charger setup perhaps? I know of people complaining that have a Polo GTI, Fabia VRS and Seat Ibiza Cupra (Same engine...) with DSG problems. So was it not possible to place a manual box because of the strain on components such as the clutch.... Or maybe because you would have to shift too frequently which would tire drivers out and annoy them?

I just wish Seat (Or VW as they produce the engine / entire setup I believe haha) would tell people why they don't provide it. Be honest with us all!

However I think the current Ibiza cupra was stunning with looks!

Mardon if you are referring to the day light running LEDs I believe they have / are going to become a legal requirement for cars manufactured after 2012 which means they should be included in the price.

If they don't I may have to look elsewhere for my next upgrade :( I don't want to, I love my current Ibiza!!!

What do people think?

~Nabster323

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.