SEAT Leon 1.6 S (2001) - My project

leonsussex96

Apr 26, 2014
Brighton
I'm 17, and this is my first car I've ever owned, I picked it up around 2 months ago, literally a few days after passing my driving test. Loving it so far, already done 1,700 miles and comfortably reached 125 mph as my top speed on the motorway.

Brought it for £1,750 with 75,000 on the clock; however there were a few problems the car: the left passenger electric window and speaker weren't functioning, original SEAT radio wasn't working and also the rear drivers side passenger door wasn't able to open. Also the vehicle had a few scratches to the body work.

First thing I set out to do was fix all the problems with the car; the window, door and speaker were fixed almost instantly. Then within a few days I purchased a brand new Kenwood radio, replacing the existing one which wasn't functioning.

11279es.jpg

Few weeks later decided to purchase some FOX Racing 15" alloys.

292xj6x.jpg

11vtj78.jpg

10oflac.jpg

Now I've saved up a bit more, I've decided to replace the leather gaiter around the gear stick/knob as it was tatty and worn. Also painting the brake callipers - red of course and also booked it in for it to be tinted, however not sure whether to go for 15% or 5% tint yet.

Pictures to follow later this week, with the next improvements.

Any other suggestions for how to improve my first car?

Last edited:

leonsussex96

Apr 26, 2014
Brighton
These are the FOX Racing 15" alloys, excited to see what they'll look like with the red brake callipers! :D
rm45d0.jpg

Last edited:

leonsussex96

Apr 26, 2014
Brighton
Looking good buddy. Are you going to smoothe out all the plastic trim?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

What do you mean smooth out the plastic trim? How would I do that?

Also as mentioned above, I'm replacing the leather gaiter around the gear knob. You can now see why I'm doing so haha.

28hn6hg.jpg

As I'm taking to the garage on Tuesday as well, should I ask for this to be sorted? The handle on one of the doors has gone rather odd. Any suggestions what to do?

kchsg1.jpg

nerayan

Nerayan
Apr 8, 2010
Portsmouth
I'm 17, and this is my first car I've ever owned, I picked it up around 2 months ago, literally a few days after passing my driving test. Loving it so far, already done 1,700 miles and comfortably reached 125 mph as my top speed on the motorway.

Brought it for £1,750 with 75,000 on the clock; however there were a few problems the car: the left passenger electric window and speaker weren't functioning, original SEAT radio wasn't working and also the rear drivers side passenger door wasn't able to open. Also the vehicle had a few scratches to the body work.

First thing I set out to do was fix all the problems with the car; the window, door and speaker were fixed almost instantly. Then within a few days I purchased a brand new Kenwood radio, replacing the existing one which wasn't functioning.

11279es.jpg

Few weeks later decided to purchase some FOX Racing 15" alloys.

292xj6x.jpg

11vtj78.jpg

10oflac.jpg

Now I've saved up a bit more, I've decided to replace the leather gaiter around the gear stick/knob as it was tatty and worn. Also painting the brake callipers - red of course and also booked it in for it to be tinted, however not sure whether to go for 15% or 5% tint yet.

Pictures to follow later this week, with the next improvements.

Any other suggestions for how to improve my first car?

The black trip on the door and bumper. Get it filled in and sprayed black

leonsussex96

Apr 26, 2014
Brighton
Not been very well as of late, so postponed painting the brake callipers and changing the leather around the gear stick. Windows are being tinted on Thursday, glad that's still going ahead. I've decided to have them tinted at 5%, so will update with pictures when that's done.

I came up with a list of improvements for the car that I plan to complete over the next 3 months. (in-order of preference and what will be done first):
-Brake callipers to be cleaned and painted red (at least 4 to 5 coats of paint)
-New leather gaiter to be fitted around gear stick
-White stickers for the speedometer, giving it a completely new look - customising it.
-Replace front 2 door handles as they are worn and tatty.
-Touch up paint in any areas needed to remove little scratches etc.
-Air filter
-Customised SEAT rear mud flaps
-LED lights for inside

And then in the future (possibly in 6-12 months time) I hope to do this:

-Fit LCR front splitter
-Steering wheel replacement
-New gear stick
-Coilovers to be fitted
-New exhaust

leonsussex96

Apr 26, 2014
Brighton
Had the car tinted today. Impressed with the outcome. Next is the brake callipers! Then, I'd hope to have it lowered, really needs it IMO. Also, regarding window tinting the front windows, is it legal? And if so, to what limit?
lietz.jpg

302pe8i.jpg

20sw020.jpg

nerayan

Nerayan
Apr 8, 2010
Portsmouth
Its a circular adapter placed between the brake disc and wheel allowing enhanced protrusion of the wheel itself. Basically it pushes the wheel out a little

leonsussex96

Apr 26, 2014
Brighton
Little update here:

Brake callipers are being done on 15/05, along with the leather gaiter around the gear stick.

Ordered an induction kit, along with a white dial kit for the speedometers, hope to have that done this weekend. Also ordered a bunch of things for the interior from my local SEAT dealership.

Bring on the weekend of improvements!!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.