SEAT LEON FR ST Infotainment issues

Nov 20, 2021
I have had issues pretty much since I purchased my car new at the end of October 2020. It went into the dealer on 23 December 2020 to have its first software update. Didn’t drive it much at the start of 2021 but it has been back into my local dealers workshop in August, October and last week. The August software update cured the traction control issue which I have had since new and in October they fitted a new sensor unit to try and solve my ACC problem with speed oscillation, fitting this new unit didn’t solve the problem. Apart from various Sat Nav issues and an ERROR instrument cluster fault visit workshop light which came on once and then went away my main problem is the Infotainment system which switches itself off and on intermittently. Sometimes I have no issues on a journey but on Thursday it went off and on a record 6 times during an 8 mile journey. I have already been in contact with the dealer who say they are waiting for a software update from SEAT and cannot say when this will be available. I first had the infotainment go off and on within a month of purchasing the car but it is now becoming much more frequent and wonder now if the unit itself is faulty. As well as contacting my local dealer I have also sent another email update on my saga to SEAT customer services and am currently waiting on their response. Any ideas of what to try next?

dan555

Sep 29, 2020
You could try a factory reset, it may not help but if a corrupt/invalid setting is causing the reboot it may fix it.
Infotainment settings>scroll down to a reset option

Nov 20, 2021
You could try a factory reset, it may not help but if a corrupt/invalid setting is causing the reboot it may fix it.
Infotainment settings>scroll down to a reset option
Thanks for quick reply. My concern with doing that is that if it goes back to the original factory settings that will not then include the software updates that the dealers workshop installed in Dec 20 and Aug 21 to solve other issues. I may wait until I can discuss this with either SEAT or the dealer again.

dan555

Sep 29, 2020
A factory reset shouldn't do that, it normally just clears all configurations, the firmware is part of the system and can't be removed.

Normally after software updates it is recommended to perform a factory reset.

GenericSeat

Oct 29, 2021
UK
Whilst I haven’t had the same issues as you (although an ongoing ACC issue that I’m curious if I’d the same as yours) I’ve been in contact with Seat for a few months now and at the moment I’m dealing with their executive resolution team. They’re essentially customer services but you get a specific person dealing with you and they are quite diligent at following up and keeping you updated. I got to them by emailing the Seat UK Managing Director: [email protected] (that email is publicly available).

You do have the option of refusing the car. If you have it on finance then Seat finance or whoever you used will be able to give you more information on how that works. It’s the last resort though and not a magical solution.

Nov 20, 2021
Whilst I haven’t had the same issues as you (although an ongoing ACC issue that I’m curious if I’d the same as yours) I’ve been in contact with Seat for a few months now and at the moment I’m dealing with their executive resolution team. They’re essentially customer services but you get a specific person dealing with you and they are quite diligent at following up and keeping you updated. I got to them by emailing the Seat UK Managing Director: [email protected] (that email is publicly available).

You do have the option of refusing the car. If you have it on finance then Seat finance or whoever you used will be able to give you more information on how that works. It’s the last resort though and not a magical solution.
My problems with the ACC have always started off after the infotainment has switched itself off and then back on again. If I had the ACC on when the Infotainment came back on the speed would oscillate. This first happened back in April when I was on a stretch of road with a 70mph limit and the car started to brake hard. Luckily there was no one behind me at the time as this was very dangerou. I did report it to SEAT via the customer services webpage later along with the traction control problem. To explain that more….when I switched the car on I would go to turn off the lane assist before driving off and would often find the traction control was not enabled. I would then restart the car and it would then come on. Seat later told me there was a field campaign in April to resolve the traction control issue and software was updated in August. This resolved the traction control proble. I also made them aware of the more dangerous ACC speed oscillation issue which still exists if I have ACC engaged when the infotainment goes off. So far I haven’t heard back from SEAT since I made contact again last Friday. I also emailed the local dealers After Sales Manager who replied quickly saying…..
“Thank you for your email. I am aware of the issues that you have raised with your SEAT and I understand that the brand are aware of the symptoms that you are describing and that they are currently working on a resolution. I appreciate that this is not the ideal scenario as like you we would prefer to have the car fixed so that you can enjoy the car and not have to continue to see the lights appearing on the dash panel as they are now.

Having looked at the email below the email address that you used is the correct one for SEAT customer services and is effectively your complaint being logged with SEAT UK.

We will of course assist where we can with both yourself and SEAT to try and resolve the issues on your car as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience so far and your understanding, we too look forward to SEAT providing the resolution however we are unable to confirm when this will be.”

A close friend who also has the same LEON model has experienced some faults similar to mine though not the infotainment switching off and restarting one. The one he has had which I haven’t so far is the SOS light comes on whenever he drives in a particular part of London. The issue I had last December which was resolved by a software update was the passenger seat belt light wouldn’t go out and then the airbag light came on, on that occasion I initially called out SEAT roadside assist and managed to get it in to the workshop within the week. After switching the engine off for awhile the errors did go away but had logged on the cars computer. Unfortunately my more recent ERROR instrument cluster fault visit workshop light didn’t log so this couldnt be looked into. Luckily it hasn’t reoccurred since 2 November. The infotainment switch off though intermittent is now happening nearly every other time I use the car and often happens more than once in a journey.
Thank you for the advice about contacting Richard Harrison at SEAT. I had come across his name recently and had been thinking that may have to be my next step and now I know it will be. Unfortunately I didn’t get my car on finance. It is such a shame about all these issues as it’s a lovely looking car and when it works properly is a joy to drive!

GenericSeat

Oct 29, 2021
UK
Yes, it’s the same issue I have with the ACC, although I’m lucky that the infotainment doesn‘t reboot itself so I have to restart it for the issue to happen. They’re telling my they have never seen this problem before and have requested a video to demonstrate it.

Nov 20, 2021
I first reported the speed oscillation to them back in July and again in October and November And I had also mentioned this to the Seat Dealer.
In early November when talking to SEAT I specifically said I can’t be the only person who has had this dangerous issue with the ACC to which they said they could not comment on issues other people had had due to privacy laws.

If it helps you the Seat references I have so far for my various issues are ST2601281X and ST266728X. I have sent a lengthy email to Richard Harrison today with fault logs and with photos of my Sat nav issue. I’m not sure how easy it would be for you to try and video the ACC fault while driving. My wife usually makes notes as faults occur and has taken the odd photo from the passenger seat but perhaps she can try and film the faults as well next time! Good luck

Nov 20, 2021
hi again, I thought you might also find this of interest as it’s a similar ACC fault that I found some months ago on the forums when I first had the dangerous speed oscillation issue. VW, Seat,Audi all have this newer Infotainment system
Although this report mentions Dangerous ACC setting speed to KPH when in MPH and the driver has a VW I’m sure it’s the same software at the route of all our issues!

by davehep » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:37 am
Hi
I’ve joined this forum to find out if anyone else has encountered a potentially dangerous issue with the ACC.

Several times now I have been joining a motorway joining from a 40mph road when the ACC decides that the current speed should be 110; this is the road sign reader part.

I’m not aware of any any roads in England that have such a speed limit but I do know that would be an appropriate speed in KPH on the continent.

On its own this isn’t an issue. As 110kph on an motorway is roughly 68mph however... once the ACC decides it’s driving on the continent (when I’m on the m42) it then changes the speed to 70 on the road sign reader. Unfortunately the part of the system that regulates the speed assumes this is still KPH and Slams the anchors on reducing to c44 mph (70kph = 43.5mph).

I WANT TO POINT OUT EXTREMELY DANGEROUS THIS IS WHEN JOINING TRAFFIC ON A MOTORWAY !!.

(Obviously as a competent driver I adjusted my speed immediately to correct the issue; I was in control not the pratnav!)

As you can see from the second picture the cruise control shows up in red when you accelerate back to 70mph.

This also happens when travelling on a 40mph zone near my house and slows down to 25mph!!

The car is 2 months old and the garage have pawned me off! I’m waiting to an engineer to call to explain to me why this is a feature and not an issue but feel that I’ll be wasting my breath trying to argue the point!

BTW the car was clean (the radar and camera where not fouled up!) and there are no road signs joining the motorway or any signs that show 110 (even if they did it shouldn’t read that in KPH!) .

The garage have run diagnostics and can’t find an issue other than a small error a month ago that has nothing to do with this ( I think it couldn’t activate the nav for some reason)

So does anybody else either have this issue or know what to do to get VW’s attention!

Other than that it’s a brilliant car

Even if it wants to kill me!

Nov 20, 2021
The email I sent off at the weekend to Richard Harrison, Seat UK CEO was forwarded onto the executive resolutions team and then back to Alex on the Seat customer service front line team. I had spoken to Alex before and he tried to call me Monday when I was out but called me again yesterday morning.

He had spoken to my contact on the service reception at my local Seat dealer and although he is sympathetic to my frustration with my cars ongoing issues, until the Factory Team at SEAT come up with a software fix for our infotainment and associated ACC issues there isn’t anything they can do at the moment. He said he was hopeful that a fix will be available by the end of the year.

Apparently the Factory Team at Seat will contact the dealers when this fix is issued and normally the local dealer would then inform the customer to arrange for the car to go in.

I asked if it was possible that our Infotainment system could be faulty and maybe should be replaced? He said although a hardware fault couldn’t be completely ruled out he hoped the software update would fix it. I also asked him about doing a factory reset myself on the software from my car but wondered whether that would then wipe out the other software updates the dealer has already done to rectify other earlier issues. He said we would need to ask Vindis our local dealer about this as it may have been something they had already tried anyway.

So Alex said he would be closing our case and If we need to get in touch again we can refer back to the old case reference but it is the dealer that is feeding back to the Seat factory any faults and issues as they arise for a fix to be found and then fixing the car. Seat customer services can only help the customer to liaise with a dealer to resolve their issues. They do not appear to feed complaints and faults directly back to Seat for a resolution to be found.

I said I would continue to log faults as they occur and also try to take photos and/or videos as well to pass onto my local Seat dealer who I will no doubt be contacting again in the near future. So not really the outcome I was hoping for as at the moment I still have the problem but now also have 2 short videos of yesterday’s Infotainment switch offs and restarts……..

Nov 20, 2021
Sorry for delay in reply on my system info it says
device part no 5FA035862
hardware H56
software 1672
nav database 21.9
media codec 3.1.4

so the same as yours.

my infotainment is still switching off and on intermittently. 3 times on outward journey yesterday but no issues on the return home.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.