Seat Leon Mk1 HID install

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
I still get people flashing me when I go by
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have your main beams as bright as you like, but if your dipped dipped beams are dazzling oncoming drivers, then they shouldn't be fitted........... Selfish and dangerous!

Last edited:

Matt21

Apr 21, 2017
Kidderminster
I've seen newer cars with brighter lights what's that all about so not selfish or dangerous in any way shape or form

Haze

Oct 21, 2014
I get blinded way more by New cars with Bi-Xenons than I do with non projector units sporting HID's. These new cars just shatter your eyeballs with blue.

Matt21

Apr 21, 2017
Kidderminster
Exactly what haze said and I think it's how people look at your lights instead of looking straight ahead either way I'm keeping my hids

icestorm81

Sep 9, 2008
Dorset, Dorchester
Had my hids on the car for almost 8 years, always passed the mot, never really had any issue with blinding oncoming drivers. Looking at the moment to get rid of the hids and fit led's instead as they are brighter and come on instantly.

Haze

Oct 21, 2014
Hi there.

Did you consider using LED lamps? They are legal and the output is very bright. They match the MOT light pattern and are 6000K color. I'm using Philips Lumileds and can't complain on nothing. Plus, they are instant on (like LED) and zero heat on the headlight. No ballasts and just plug and plug.

Kinda like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/50w-H11-H8-...acement-/302345388309?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

Interested.

Did you have some on your own vehicle? That link is to the US ebay.

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
I never knew these existed and looking to convert to these LEDS.

I never wanted to be that idiot dazzling me with badly adjusted lights or over bright HID's. Swear one day I'll put a hammer through that idiot's lights.

But if these LEDs' give better light, easy fit and more importantly safety on the road then I'm getting interested.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Mmm interested in HIDs and LED
I was going down the HID route but LED is even better.
Is there much in the way of modding to be done in order to use the LEDs?
The names Sparkie but not because I'm an electrician.
Nickname for different reasons.

Sent from me!

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
I read in a review that LED's don't project the light very far.

Many reviews are old and long before the latest crop of LED. I also have been looking around and this one from 2014 is quite telling as evidenced by the photos:

LED Headlight conversion review

That one is based on a 3200 lumens bulb, the latest available are pushing out 8000 lumens... of course subject to seller exaggerations, but even if a 1000 less will still be over twice of those in the review.

Last edited:

sockpuppet

Apr 30, 2007
Seems like things have moved on quite a bit from the review I read, the latest reviews show a much longer projection distance that more or less match the HID's for distance. I might give LED's a try as the nightbreakers I use only last a year.

Battoussai

Mar 22, 2016
Portugal
I'm currently using the Philips Lumileds that i've posted earlier on this thread (yes, us ebay link cause i'm from Portugal and posting was cheaper).

I'll try to get some photos of LED lamps in action so you can get an idea.
One thing for sure, they are really pure white (no blue halo) and much brighter than halogen.
The light's cover field is the same as halogen but more vivid, everything is lightened up.
And is instant on and zero headlight heating of the glass.

I didn't have HID but I would say HID could light more distance (the good HIDs ones).

The LED lamps are plug and play. Don't have to drill or glue or put ballasts out (modern ones don't even have exterior ballast anymore as they're built in). Mine have tiny digital ballasts but they are small and fit inside the headlight itself. I've purchased new ones with all built in to high beams.

The best thing is that can nivelate them as you usually do with halogen using the headlight bolts.

I ride everyday with them and no other driver complains. I've made a road test with my friend's car riding in front and behind him and didn't glare him at any time.

I'm very pleased with these lamps and i'm using them from 2015!!
:happy:

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
I'm currently using the Philips Lumileds that i've posted earlier on this thread (yes, us ebay link cause i'm from Portugal and posting was cheaper).

I'll try to get some photos of LED lamps in action so you can get an idea.

One thing for sure, they are really pure white (no blue halo) and much brighter than halogen.

The light's cover field is the same as halogen but more vivid, everything is lightened up.

And is instant on and zero headlight heating of the glass.

I didn't have HID but I would say HID could light more distance (the good HIDs ones).

The LED lamps are plug and play. Don't have to drill or glue or put ballasts out (modern ones don't even have exterior ballast anymore as they're built in). Mine have tiny digital ballasts but they are small and fit inside the headlight itself. I've purchased new ones with all built in to high beams.

The best thing is that can nivelate them as you usually do with halogen using the headlight bolts.

I ride everyday with them and no other driver complains. I've made a road test with my friend's car riding in front and behind him and didn't glare him at any time.

I'm very pleased with these lamps and i'm using them from 2015!!

:happy:

Ola. Didn't know you were from Portugal. Estou em Portugal no momento.

Sent from me!

craigw131

May 30, 2017
I have the LED H7's fitted to my Leon and they are mega bright. So much so, that I actually took my car to the local MOT tester to get my beams checked. He said they were the brightest he had ever seen but as long they were aligned correctly they should not blind anyone. Anyway mine were spot on for alignment. I will get some pics of the LEDs fitted to mine soon. In case anyone is interested mine were only £17 the pair off Ebay

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.