Seat Leon mk4 (2020) - rear turn signal issue. Dealer is stumped :-)

Aug 4, 2023
Hi all. Hoping for some assistance here please. Have searched forum and not found anything about this, so apologies if covered elsewhere.

I have a 2020 plate Leon e-hybrid which has been at the local main dealer for about six weeks now, having a few issues sorted out while still under warranty. Since new, it had an intermittent problem where the display would sometimes give a warning about left rear turn signal. The indicator would flash normally, but inside the car the clicking sound would be twice as quick (like what happens when a bulb has failed). It would stay like that for a while, then just work normally again for a while.

A few months ago, the problem happened again and this time it didn't correct itself. Not a big deal, but when it went in for some other work I asked them to fix it. Anyway, it appears to have them completely stumped. Spoke to the service manager yesterday, who said that various things have been replaced without any impact, and that they are now in a process of checking (and replacing?) every wire in the circuit. I don't have any more details than this, and have only spoken to a manager but not a technician directly.

Has anyone else encountered a similar issue? If so, was it fixed, and do you have any idea what they did?

I can't believe I'm having to ask a question like this on a forum, so that maybe I can give some advice to the experts working on the car. I don't want to sound like I'm critical of them, because I'm sure they are doing their best to sort things out.

However, it seems that so much of how the car functions (like everything now) is controlled by systems that have quirks and bugs that are not accessible/comprehensible in the way that vehicles used to be, like they were "back in the day"!!!! (** fondly remembers the rows with my mum, when I was about 18, for having my mini's cylinder head on the kitchen worksurface, so that I could change the valves/springs etc **).

Thanks in advance

G

KoNG

Jul 27, 2016
Canning Town
The clicking sound is generated from instrument cluster that would be my guess whe replacing a part not the stalk underneath the steering wheel

Reactions: g12345
Aug 4, 2023
Thanks for the suggestion... I should have also said that the led indicator on the dash also flashes at twice normal speed, but the lights outside the car all flash at normal rate!! There is no problem with the right turn signal at all, which I presume uses the same click sound generator.

Aug 4, 2023
Could be worthy to update the 09 module with the latest FW as this could be also a software bug :) Did they perform all the service camping outstanding on the car from 2020? Several module need to be updated in once.
Thanks again for the suggestion. They told me that they have updated software, but I would not be surprised if this has not been completely checked!

andycalvia

Oct 20, 2004
Ayrshire
Sounds perhaps like a faulty resistor, where it thinks there is a fault in one of the bulbs but there isn't.

Have they also tired removing the rear light assembly and trying with another (off a demonstrator or something) to see if the fault perhaps lies in the light cluster itself.

Aug 4, 2023
Thanks for the replies - sorry I haven't been online for ages.

The lights are all LED units. The dealer tell me that they have replaced the lamp cluster unit, and have replaced everything that they possibly could without solving the problem. Apparently they are now replacing all the wiring (?). I am dubious that this will be the problem, but it is out of my hands.

They still have the vehicle, 8 weeks after it was taken in. I thought it would only take them a couple of days!

istoyanov

Apr 6, 2023
Bulgaria
Error message says 3rd stop light error. Start stop solved.
Previous time was rear turn lights.
Randomly have not working toof panel. :)
Car - 23MY and driving from July...
IMG_9590.jpeg

IMG_9591.jpeg

Aug 4, 2023
I had the same issue, dealer diagnosed it as a dodgy ground connection in the tailgate
Thanks for replying @droidd

The car is back with me now - still with the problem. They were making no progress, and could give me no idea of what they were going to try next. I decided I'm going to take it to a different main dealer next time! When I do that, I will mention that it might be worth checking the tailgate wiring. It wouldn't surprise me if all the focus has been on the outer flasher unit, but of course there are inner ones on the tailgate which I hope they would have checked.......but nothing would surprise me.

Aug 4, 2023
I haven't had it sorted yet - have just learned to live with it for the time being. If another dealer manages to fix it I will report back!!