Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
What is it?

We’re looking at the brand-new SEAT Leon FR 1.5 TSI EVO 150PS manual car (that’s a bit of a mouthful isn’t it?) in Nevada (Metallic) White.

SEAT’s redesigned Leon model is now available in the UK and we have been driving it for the last week. The recommended retail price for this model is £24,535.

This new generation of Leon (MK4) replaces the much loved MK3 SEAT Leon model that was available between 2012 and 2020.

If it’s going to be another 8 years before we see the MK5 SEAT Leon, let’s hope SEAT have ticked the right boxes with this car.

Verdict
SEAT’s Fourth Generation Leon will be familiar to owners of the MK3 as things haven’t changed significantly.

The new styling is divisive, but the new Leon continues with a familiar formula for SEAT.

Our rating

4 stars out of 5

What we liked...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: SRGTD

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@Syphon - Good comprehensive review that focuses on many of the more day to day practicalities of the car than the usual motoring press reviews do.

I think the lack of physical buttons for heating/ventilation/air con will be the deal breaker for many current Leon owners thinking of changing their current cars. As you’ve demonstrated, voice control is no substitute for removing physical buttons - especially in the Leon when it doesn’t respond well to simple voice commands. A gloss black plastic key fob seems a strange move - that‘ll not stay looking glossy for long in daily use.

The small storage cubby below the light control panel has also been removed from the Golf.

I‘m probably in the minority here, but I don‘t dislike the wheels. Any ‘upgrade’ versions available will probably be diamond cut (like the FR First Edition wheels) - they great bling appeal in the showroom, but almost always succumb to whiteworm corrosion. If I wanted different, upgraded wheels, I’d probably go for an aftermarket set.

Reactions: Syphon

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Great review!
I'm now finding that the front styling actually seems OK; it's a bit generic, but all the elements work pretty well together.
The rear styling, which had the wow factor when I first saw it, actually is just too fussy for me. There's too much going on and some awkward bits (like the SEAT badge you mentioned). Oh and BTW car designers, either put a proper set of exhaust tailpipes on it or hide them completely. Fakes just look stupid, especially in cold weather.

Degs

Feb 10, 2019
North Wales
So to basically sum it up as far as I'm concerned compared to the mk3,similar quality,performance and handling,better side profile,better rear (disagree) ,generic front,flimsy light switches and driver hostile controls,nothing in that review makes me want one ☹

Reactions: Mr Pig and Vag8

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I watched the Autogefühl review of VW’s all electric ID3 yesterday, which essentially has the same infotainment screen, the same touch pad for the lights and largely buttonless interior as the current Leon (and Golf, A3 and Octavia too).

The reviewer was quite critical of the lack of buttons for basic functions. The ‘buttons’ on the steering wheel were also touch pads rather than actual buttons. He made the comment that VW seemed to want to do something new, even if it wasn’t better, and he wasn’t a fan of it. Seems to echo most of the comments on forums on the interior of the new Leon and Golf.

For those interested, here’s the review of ID3;

Reactions: Tell and Seriously?

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
So to basically sum it up as far as I'm concerned compared to the mk3,similar quality,performance and handling,better side profile,better rear (disagree) ,generic front,flimsy light switches and driver hostile controls,nothing in that review makes me want one ☹
That sums it up very nicely IMHO. At the moment I'm not sure that there's any VAG car in the same market sector as the Leon that I actually would want to replace our MK3 ST.

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
A very useful review - far better than any others I have read.
It worry me that the car is reported to have a gator (alligator?) around the gear lever - I would prefer a gaiter.

• Haha

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
sadly, the more I look, the less I like it.
rear end is horrible,
front grill not very nice.
touch screen controls and removal of basic buttons I loath. (but this is the way the whole industry is going)

Good review however I feel the same. Yes cars can grow on you (I wasn't a big mk3 fan when it first launched) so I'm happy to correct myself if I change my opinion in a few months time. However I have my doubts. The exterior just doesn't do it for me and, although I appreciate it's the direction of travel, having more and more techy dashes doesn't appeal to me either. And why oh why do they do things like glossy screens that show fingerprints and dirt straight off the bat?

And, just a personal thing, I can live with integrated screens, those that look like an afterthought (stuck on) I can't.

I'm keeping my mk2 on the road until it dies on me (don't do the miles these days) however when I do need to change, it'll be to a mk3 or another brand altogether. If they are penny-pinching here and there, has that been reflected in the prices? If they're doing it to realign SEAT as a good quality budget alternative to VW that's fine. If the prices don't reflect the penny-pinching that's just another reason for me to look elsewhere as and when I do buy a new car.

Reactions: Vag8 and Syphon

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
Thanks for the review, the looks i can deal with, that's just how things go, but the big no no for me is the interior and especially the touch screen. I suppose it's the way most manufacturers will go in the belief that it's better, when in practical terms it just isn't. Iv'e just tried a Focus St Line X and the Leon has a job on it's hands there!

Vag8

Jul 5, 2019
rear end is horrible,
touch screen controls and removal of basic buttons I loath. (but this is the way the whole industry is going)

Tend to agree with most parts,
Front end, from a distance is it a Mazda 3, and i30 or Leon... ?
To give the golf some credit it’s ugly but you not gonna confuse it with anything else.

I actually like the rear end but don’t like the centre brake light being so low - reminds me of the mk2 Toledo and would be useless as wont be visible to cars 2 or 3 behind so for me it’s dangerous too, it should be high in the spoiler.

Removing all the buttons I also loathe and it’s massively put me off, having to scroll menus and swiping replacing one simple press or depress ... pointless and annoying at the same time, and touch sensitive slide controls for heating etc.... So how many seconds will your eyes be off the road trying to operate the controls?

They maybe trying to be more tech but they are pushing away people on basic functionalities.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I've got a magnetic grey FR press car at the moment. Initial impressions are all the controls being on the screen will take getting used to but will be fine after a few days.

Mine doesn't seem to do the cool shut down thing with the lights at rear.

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Definitely some features there that I like and would in my current MK3. Still not fully sold on the rear 'coast-to-coast' light but I've yet to see one in person so I'll reserve judgement until then.

It will be interesting to see how this will compare to the CUPRA.

Dec 31, 2012
rear end is horrible,

Deffo agree on the removal of buttons is disappointing, they try to make UI more intuitive but in the ends being a bit of a faff. I like a mininilst design with just a few chunky knobs. Personally I love the rear end myself (Especially the light animation), not too keen on the front, reminds me of a Hyundai.

Dec 31, 2012
I know there's no FR badge on the front grill but tbh I'm not sure an engine with that power deserves to sport the FR brand. I remember when the FR range was considered a cheaper alternative to the VW's GTI :(

Reactions: Seriously?

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
I know there's no FR badge on the front grill but tbh I'm not sure an engine with that power deserves to sport the FR brand. I remember when the FR range was considered a cheaper alternative to the VW's GTI :(
Yep, it's a shame that the FR designation is just a trim level now; I mean, an FR with a 1.0 litre ?☹

Reactions: romster1

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net

FR is just a trim now though and nothing to do with the engine. No longer the CUPRA's step down car. You can get a 1.0 Ibiza with an FR badge on the front.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello

Agree, I had on my drive last week

MK1 Leon FR+ 1.9TDI PD150 (stock, its running about 200)
MK4 Leon FR 1.5TSI 130

So in 15 years we have lost 20bhp (yes I know they do a 150 model as well), we've previously had 170-200 FR's.

Now CUPRA has broken away it would of been nicer if they made FR the top dog again and gave it GTI level engines.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise