knoted

Oct 23, 2012
I read the review here, but I also watched a comparative review from my trusted Dutch automotive magazine (video with English CC subtitles).
Long story short; They find the Leon to be more concise & comfy at low & cruise speeds than the Focus, but it's also more composed at
high speeds than the Focus:

So, automotive-wise I trust Autoweek's statement that Seat have yet again delivered something excellent.

But yeah...styling-wise..... that's where subjective preference comes into play. I've often seen the argument "But, you gotta see it in person to truly appreciate it.."

Well, that doesn't ring true to me - Design elements which irk me at product preview & launch, remain to irk me years after said product has been on the market.
Take for example the MK4's side profile crease;

SEAT-Leon-2020-side-profile-768x432.jpg

It's almost a straight horizontal line, raised up all the way to the cabin windows. Straight lines are usually boring imho.
Also, the side effect is a visual emphasis so high upwards, that it feels "Top Heavy".

After all, ideal aerodynamic airflow in automotive context is half a rain drop shape; that is the reason why I love
the side crease on the MK2 so much because it references this concept.
The MK4 however, sort of superimposes a straight line high up. I realize the original intent of the design is probably something
like a levitating vector denoting 'speed', but I can't help but feel that it makes the car silhouette feel more box-like from quite a few angles in my opinion.
And overall...the MK4 design feels schizophrenic - as if it can't make up it's mind style-wise...literally an amalgamation of style directions. Not my cup of tea.

SEAT-Leon-2020-side-profile-768x433.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Syphon

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Remove if you feel it doesn't belong here
Driver fined for using Tesla touch controls
Read that earlier. It confirms what many of us have been saying about VAG’s (and any other car manufacturer for that matter) use of touchscreens to replace conventional controls for many of the basic functions in cars - distracting to use while driving and potentially dangerous.

I wonder if we’ll see some buttons and knobs appearing in the new Leon, Golf, A3 and Octavia in the near future - next year’s model year changes perhaps?

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Suspect most manufacturers will go down the same route soon and the laws will be changed.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
As it should be. The sooner these systems get banned and fines start getting handed out the better and we can all get back to real buttons and real driving.

This could be the new diesel gate. Tech gate
Couldn’t agree more.

One car manufacturer that’s surprised me by removing most of the buttons and switches and moving most of the basic functions to the infotainment touchscreen is Volvo. Volvo is one car manufacturer I’ve always associated with safety, and its been said many times on this forum, having to use touchscreens for basic, often used functions isn’t only a distraction, IMO it’s dangerous and unsafe.

Screens do have a place in modern cars - but IMO primarily as a monitor for the driver and passengers to view what’s being displayed; functions such as lights, heating, radio volume etc. should continue to be operated by conventional controls.

Maybe the court ruling In Germany on Tesla case reported on by the BBC will give car manufacturers a much needed wake up call to reconsider the design of the driver environment in their cars.

Reactions: Bedlam

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
These are old but Volvo safety wasn't always...safe -
and
Ouch - where was the risk assessment when you needed it.

Reactions: Seriously?

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Be fair to Volvo - in that first video, even having collided with the trailer, the windscreen wipers still work :p

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I remember the second video... apparently the driver picked the car without it installed!

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
I have just seen my first new Leon in the red colour as per the adverts, it actually looked ok, a bit anonymous and also not immediately recognisable as a Leon.

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
Be fair to Volvo - in that first video, even having collided with the trailer, the windscreen wipers still work :p
Perhaps they automatically come on in the event of a front end accident to wipe any 'bits' off the screen. After all its sunny and they don't appear to be on before the crash.

Vag8

Jul 5, 2019
I actually cancelled my test drive in the new Leon today.... that sums up my lack of excitement with it.

The more reviews I read/watch the less I like it, I like the exterior styling except the front end is too generic.
The interior is to minimalistic and I just cannot be bothered with all these sliders and touch screen menus etc.... to Citroen like.

Most reviews complement the handling etc but I just can’t help thinking Seat/VW have alienated existing Leon/golf 7.5 owners by installing complicated tech options and menus when keeping many of the basic functions of switches and knobs would have been better, i used to think you could jump in any VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda and know exactly where all the controls and switches were and how it all worked intuitively .... but with the touch screen malarkey it’ll all be down to whoever the programmers/software writers to decide and they probably were as far away from the guys who developed the chassis and handling character of the car as they could be.
So for me .... jury’s out I’m sitting on the fence.

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I enjoyed my time with the FR I had just needed more power! handled well (very well compared to my boat feeling MK1 FR)

Big Vinny

Oct 14, 2012
Superb review ! I have noticed that the interior front door handles have changed from horizontal next to the window switches to almost vertical ones in hard plastic just like the current Ibiza.

Let's not forget that an FR badge actually stands for "Formula Racing" and used to be embossed on the front seats as well as the grille and steering wheel on the MK2 FR !

Reactions: Syphon

pepsimax73

Aug 11, 2021
I on to my 3rd Leon dug lugger starting with the SE technology 1.6 TDI then upgrading to the FR 2.0 TDI 150 and now I've the FR 1.5 150. I get these cars through motability and was really reluctant to part with the 2.0 TDI but given the miles on it I could only hang on to it for a year. I looked at other cars but space and cost was an issue so ordered the MK4 and after a month driving the car I loathed it,the power difference was night and day, infotainment system is a nightmare I just do not like it. I contacted Motability but I could stop the lease but my case would be looked at if I was eligible for the scheme so I'm now driving the car for the rest of the agreement. To cut a long story short if your interested in the new MK4 save some money and get the MK3

Firaxis

Dec 24, 2018
I on to my 3rd Leon dug lugger starting with the SE technology 1.6 TDI then upgrading to the FR 2.0 TDI 150 and now I've the FR 1.5 150. I get these cars through motability and was really reluctant to part with the 2.0 TDI but given the miles on it I could only hang on to it for a year. I looked at other cars but space and cost was an issue so ordered the MK4 and after a month driving the car I loathed it,the power difference was night and day, infotainment system is a nightmare I just do not like it. I contacted Motability but I could stop the lease but my case would be looked at if I was eligible for the scheme so I'm now driving the car for the rest of the agreement. To cut a long story short if your interested in the new MK4 save some money and get the MK3

Issue is it's not really an "infotainment" system but a linked control mechanism for many of the cars functions. I was trying to set the limiter other day as it knocked it off for some reason and it really is the ergonomic equivalent of a sponge made out of custard. After I'd faffed around setting the multiple options required to get it working the car decides to reset the dashboard view to default. In my old one series BMW you pressed the limiter button, that's it..

I actually believe a digital setup can work if done correctly but this slightly dangerous convoluted mess of a control system isn't the way to do it. Apart from that in these crazy days of second hand cars costing more then new one's on finance I ended up with a MK4 Cupra 300, I don't think it's worth anywhere near 38K though (fortunately I didn't pay that much) and in some ways I agree it's a downgrade from the MK3.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.