Seat Sport Gear Knob and Flip Key.

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
Had my car in the dealers today to sort the dash rattle out and flip key coded to the car immob.

They sorted the dash rattle but said the flip key was the wrong chip for the immobiliser and it needed a rolling code one.

The key has been bought in bits. I got the 434Mhz remote seperate and it works with the CL. I got a blank key blade and this was cut and works fine. The only thing is the chip in the head of the key. Which I think came off a Golf/Passat etc..

They tried to read the chip but it threw up an error code and couldn't be done.
I did however manage to get the 4 digit code needed to code the immob from Seat.

So what now do I risk another chip from the head of another key from ebay etc... The dealer gave the number for a guy to provide the chip but it will cost £55+ vat to provide the chip and code it to the car immob. Anyone have any ideas on how to get this done cheaper?. Even with vagcom I would still need the right chip to be coded, right?

The next issue I had was with the gear knob. I wanted a Carbon/Alu sport knob fitted and the parts guy thought he had one in stock. He then told me when I picked up the car that is was not fitted as it's for the newer model Leon. Now I thought the gear knobs fitted all years. I think he said this because the one in stock was a 5 speed and he never checked properly. He was reluctant to order a new one as there was no pic on the parts program and was unsure of the gear shaft size. Will they fit all years?

It was £86.50 fitted but I really wanted the black leather/alu one but this was £111.50 fitted :confused:

Last edited:

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
I think my leather/alu one (5 speed) was about £75 from one of the dealers on here (10% discount). Don't see why the 6 speed should be any different price. Fit it yourself and save a few squid.

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
I think my leather/alu one (5 speed) was about £75 from one of the dealers on here (10% discount). Don't see why the 6 speed should be any different price. Fit it yourself and save a few squid.

I've seen pabs' guide but are they easy to fit?. The whole clips thing inside the gaitor worries me that I'll break them or something :)

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
ive got a different seat sport one to pabs'
all aluminium
was 40quid from the dealers, took abt an hour to fit due to gator clips being a nightmare

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
£75 for a gear knob :blink: :wtf:

I know. But it was very, very nice - sets off the interior perfectly and is a tank and a half of petrol at the end of the day.

I've seen pabs' guide but are they easy to fit?. The whole clips thing inside the gaitor worries me that I'll break them or something :)

The clip was a little fiddly to fit but really nothing that a complete novice like myself couldn't do.

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
agreed, the hardest thing was getting the gator to re-clip around the new gearknob as it was bigger
with a bit of patience it went on easy enough

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I know. But it was very, very nice - sets off the interior perfectly and is a tank and a half of petrol at the end of the day.

Exactly! That's a week and a half of getting to and from work, to get paid, to afford petrol to go to work the next week!

;)

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
agreed, the hardest thing was getting the gator to re-clip around the new gearknob as it was bigger
with a bit of patience it went on easy enough
Yeah, I trimmed and cut a little 'v' shape in the top of my gaiter so it tucked in a bit more easily.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.