Seat supplied TomTom710 Problems

jonial

Jonial
Nov 1, 2003
Garstang
www.g4ial.com
Hi Cupra R

Mt dealer came up trumps and I was able to take my multimeter to him and measure the voltages.

Both the 12 volt connections are required.

I used car speaker connections to push onto the spades in the connector on the loom.

I have used a fused switch power supply to both the red and purple wires and find it satisfactory.

It is possible to add files to the tomtom device to enable it to turn on and off with the ignition switch.

John

EBlack

Jonial - ya wee beauty!.

You've managed what Arnold Clark Edinburgh couldn't or more accurately wouldn't !.

I'm getting one of my engineers to wire it in this afternoon - so will let you know how I get on hopefully later today!.

I'm not worried about it coming through the speakers or anything like that - just getting the think working will be fine for me! - lol.

Thanks again sir - you're a gent!

Ewan

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
Hi Cupra R

Mt dealer came up trumps and I was able to take my multimeter to him and measure the voltages.

Both the 12 volt connections are required.

I used car speaker connections to push onto the spades in the connector on the loom.

I have used a fused switch power supply to both the red and purple wires and find it satisfactory.

It is possible to add files to the tomtom device to enable it to turn on and off with the ignition switch.

John

I'm wondering if I would be able to wire them into the wiring for the headlight switch, as this is very close to the sat nav and will hopefulle have the necessary power. Do you think this would be possible?

Rich

jonial

Jonial
Nov 1, 2003
Garstang
www.g4ial.com
Hi to Ewan and Rich

To Ewan -- My pleasure to be of help

To Rich -- I modified a fuse by soldering a thin wire to it and connected to the fuse panel so that if there were a problem the TomTom "Black Box" had its own fused supply.

Hope this helps

John

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
So, just to recheck, the black box supplied with the dash mount regulates the voltage down to the necessary 5V for the Tom Tom?

Cheers John, your help on this is much appreciated.

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
Hi John.

I have just fitted mine into my Leon and I have a couple more questions for you if I may.

On the instructions that came with the mount, it show's the multi plug that comes from the actual mount plugging into the lower right hand socket on the "Black Box", I tried to plug into this, but it would'nt fit. BUT it does fit into the lower left hand side. Is this the same for your's???

I couldn't actually see correctly but I'm sure I could only count 2X7 pins on the RHS Socket and 2X8 on the left, the plug from the mount has 2X8, but it's just with the diagrams showing the RHS socket that I need to check first before actually wiring it up.

So have you got both your +'s together or have you wired it with a permanent + and a switched +?

I bought some red (smallest I could find) female crimp connector's (sheathed) but unfortunately these won't fit into the supplied plug so as I don't have to cut the plug off, what exactly did you use?

Other than that, The mount is superb, it is in a good line of sight, doesn't get in the way or obstruct anything and is close by. Also holds the unit very securely, mine always used to shake on the windscreen mount. Oh and the way it adjust's for tilt and angle is ingenious.

Rich

Last edited:

jonial

Jonial
Nov 1, 2003
Garstang
www.g4ial.com
Hi Rich

The loom to the mounting bracket will only fit into one of the output sockets on the box as you have found out.

On the input side I did not cut the loom, I used crimp on speaker connectors which just push on to the "spades" in the connector on the end of the loom.

I wound insulating tape around the ecposed end of the speaker connectors to protect against any contact with adjacent "spades"

I used a single earth and a single fused switched supply to both live connections which means you need three crimp on speaker connectors.

Hope this helps

John

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
Hi Rich

The loom to the mounting bracket will only fit into one of the output sockets on the box as you have found out.

On the input side I did not cut the loom, I used crimp on speaker connectors which just push on to the "spades" in the connector on the end of the loom.

I wound insulating tape around the ecposed end of the speaker connectors to protect against any contact with adjacent "spades"

I used a single earth and a single fused switched supply to both live connections which means you need three crimp on speaker connectors.

Hope this helps

John

Certainly does help John thanks.

I still can't picyure though how you have got your supply from the fusebox and to have it switched too. How did you know which to go onto??

I have had my voltmeter out and found that the dimmer control for my interior lights has a negative and a switched 12v+ and was thinking of tagging onto these, although after looking in the owners handbook it isn't clear what fuse (amps wise) is protecting this particular circuit. Down want the possibilty of frying the TT.

Rich

jonial

Jonial
Nov 1, 2003
Garstang
www.g4ial.com
Off the top of my head I used a spare fuse position on the bottom row about in the middle.
However if you have a voltmeter is easily checked -- Ignition off = no volts. ignition on = 12volts

John

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
Ah, as easy as that.

In this case then I may go buy an inline fuse holder and a spade terminal to push into the fuse board. I would of thought this to be suitable/acceptable method wouldn't it.

So, where exactly did you fix your earth John.

Your help is very much appreciated mate.

jonial

Jonial
Nov 1, 2003
Garstang
www.g4ial.com
The earth is a wire wrapped round any bolt inside the plastic housing.

I used an awkward to get at one on the Altea. Yours may not be in the same position.

The in line fuse is great - I managed to solder a wire to a spare 10amp fuse that I had.

John

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
The earth is a wire wrapped round any bolt inside the plastic housing.

I used an awkward to get at one on the Altea. Yours may not be in the same position.

The in line fuse is great - I managed to solder a wire to a spare 10amp fuse that I had.

John

Thanks again John, I'll try and source some bit's tomorrow then and get it finished off.

Rich

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
All done and dusted.

Very easy to do in the end, thanks to you John.

It must already have the files on my Tom Tom too as when the ignition is turned on, the sat nav comes on, but it doesn't go off when it is switched off.

Thanks again mate.

Rich

jonial

Jonial
Nov 1, 2003
Garstang
www.g4ial.com
Hi Rich

Glad it worked out ok

Your tomtom is behaving normally - if you want it to go off when the ignition is turned off you need to place more files onto your tomtom root directory.

Do a google search for tomtom autopoweroff.

John

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
Hi Rich

Glad it worked out ok

Your tomtom is behaving normally - if you want it to go off when the ignition is turned off you need to place more files onto your tomtom root directory.

Do a google search for tomtom autopoweroff.

John

Yeah cheers John, I'll look for the files, but for now I'm going to leave it as it is, as everytime it turns on I have to punch the pin code in.

Thanks

Rich

A5TEH

Hi all - I'm new to this whole forum thing, but I went looking for answers as to why my TomTom 710 would not charge up whilst on the craddle that came with the factory supplied option. I thought I was alone but it appears not!
I took my Altea to my nearest Dealer Frosts at shoreham - great guys but they could not solve the problem, they said it was likely that the wire was not spliced into the loom at the factory. I left knowing I would have to work the problem myself.
FOUND IT! Very simple fix - having poked about for a bit with my meter I decided to resort to looking at the owners manual (If all else fails...) There are two fuse boxes - one inside the car & one under the bonnet (nearside). Fuse 15 in the inside box was present & correct Fuse 9 was not there in the underbonnet box. Fitted 5amp blade fuse in slot 9 & hay presto craddle now charges TomTom when Ignition is on, & auto powers on & off with the ignition. (provides 12v power to the red/purple trace wire in the factory harness that the TomTom control unit hooks up to). Hope this helps.[B)]

Last edited by a moderator: