Secondary Water Pump

BCM

Keyboard Gangster
Feb 1, 2005
Wishaw, North Lanarkshire
I know its an age old problem with many people talking bout it,
Now before it starts - I' searched!
How do i fix or replace it! Prices or Guides?
It doesnt come on, ever!
The car is always left to cool down after a run etc...
But i want this to work!
Tried "shaking" the wire, still doesnt come on!
HELP!

storeyd

Newcastle
Jul 5, 2006
Newcastle
Before you think of a new one, try this first.........

Get a multimeter and check for an input to the pump....... Start the engine then let it stop, the pump should be getting an input for several minutes. I recommend doing this when the engine is cold, to avoid the risk of the radiator fan coming on.

If you are getting an input and you have wobbled the cable when connected to check for a poor connection, then I would say the pump has gone.

If there is no input then, its likely the pump is ok and its the fuse. The fuse is located in the panel on the drivers side of the dash. I think its shared with a couple of other devices. Check in the manual which is the correct one. Do a quick test by swapping it with a one that does work (rated the same). Or just check the shared devices are working.

Still no joy then ECU problem??? I am not so good on electrics so i would be lost here.

Try the first 2 checks and see what happens. If its looks like some other electrical failure then ask on here or go to a garage.

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
yep, first thing in the morning is a deffo good idea, you would literally have to swicth on the engine and switch it off again for the pump to continue to run on for a few minutes.

phatchoonz1

Feb 26, 2005
Orpington, Kent
I've just replaced my pump and it's cured my intermittant pump problem.
As to testing the power to it I tried that, but doesn't appear as simple as just sticking a multi-meter in it. I was getting a 300mV feed to the pump when it should have been running but wasn't, but if the pump ran and I got a multi-meter in the plug quickly it gave the full 12V reading, almost like there was a control unit checking the pump was connected before feeding the full voltage to the pump.
I couldn't really get to the bottom of whether mine had the correct feed, but was getting concerened by it not running, so as I had the chance to get the part at trade price through work and could fit it myself, I took the plunge and stuck a new pump on it. This has most definitely cured all my problems, runs every time now as i'd expect it to (for some time after the car is switched off), also, I think it runs whilst the car is running too. For this reason, and the fact that my car has nearly 80,000 miles on it now, I felt it'd been running for a few hours during the course of the cars life and probably was due to be knackered!

storeyd

Newcastle
Jul 5, 2006
Newcastle
Yes I did exacly the same, but I cured it by bending the connectors on the pump to get a constant connection. Works no problem now for 5 months. But my LCR has only done 40K, so the problem with yours may have been worn brushes or poor contact in the motor. This can be fixed also.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.