Service Interval - come up short?????

Cars one year old now with just over 17,000 on the clock. Had the service intervals changed to longlife variable at its 10,000 service (as they should have been). And checked the display at the time which looked right.

Checked the service remaining today and say 200 days but only 1,100miles ....eek anyone got an idea what might be going on????

MisterW

Apr 7, 2011
Sounds like they changed it to longlife at the 10k service but didn't reset it. So it now thinks you've done 17k since the last ll service and have 1100 to go. That sounds about right, mine went to about 18,600 for the 1st service in about a year.
Actually, unless they did an inspection service at 10k as well as an oil change, then they were probably correct in not resetting the service indicator, since on ll servicing it needs an inpsection and oil change at each service.
The 200 days sounds a bit odd though, it would normally be 2 years from last service or from new in your case. I don't believe the time period depends on oil quality whereas the mileage aspect does. What did it say when they reset it , bear in mind it would normally have taken ~500 miles to sort itself out...

M7R

Nerd...
Mar 27, 2008
Nottingjam
For engine life 1year or 10k is better though, I always take my car off long life, another 200 quid a year is a small cost for an engine that's better looked after

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Cars one year old now with just over 17,000 on the clock. Had the service intervals changed to longlife variable at its 10,000 service (as they should have been). And checked the display at the time which looked right.

Checked the service remaining today and say 200 days but only 1,100miles ....eek anyone got an idea what might be going on????
It does depend what your driving profile is like, and the oil sensor will make its own decision but this may have been set back to 10k service intervals by the stealers ?@~ [it does take some time for the sensor to stabilise after a oil change though] And people talk about 10k oil changes being the best, this I wouldn't disagree with but If a manufacturer decides that 17 - 22k service intervals are acceptable then they would have a great deal of data to support that [ warranty issues and liability etc.] the spanner in the works would be the stealer using non long life oil in a long life setup ?@~

M7R

Nerd...
Mar 27, 2008
Nottingjam
For an oem they work on 100k miles is the life of parts like cats etc, the main reason for long life is to please the fleet market and higher millage driver that is all, plane and simple

Spoke to dealer.............
They have no record of doing the service in February:confused:

So they reckon they just reset it for another 10,000 - (point to note it came up ats 9,000 miles and now for 18,000 miles ??????) because if you go from 10 to 20intervals its then out of syns for minor/majors at 10,30,50,70 instead of 20,40,60,80 !!! makes sense but......why didnt they say so at the time - and have they have they not serviced it...stamped the book...but their system doesnt show it :rofl:
Rang SEAT customer service on Thursday - as they "paid" for the first service so it could be changed to "long life servicing" - and have yet to have a call back [:@]

As Sir Tom would say "why, why, why"

Just spoken to dealer and they say service was done and long life oil used - and for ME to manually reset to another 10k and then they will sort out at next proper service.

Can service interval be reset by the driver ???? or is it a nip into the dealer for a techie to do??? :confused:

They seemed to believe it was as simple as press <spanner> and "reset".....

M7R

Nerd...
Mar 27, 2008
Nottingjam
It is in the hand book how to reset it.. or should as it was in my b7 a4.

However if you have vagcom or know someone with vagcom it can be swapped onto short life by that. If your around notts area I can do it for you.

Also on the subject of short life, have you read what they actually do?? It is very little, air filters arent changed until 20k for engine and iirc 40k for pollen! My plan is get the dealer to do the oil change service; and then do the other filters my self at the same time and get the bits from Tps to show its all gen parts and services

you are quite right :whistle: if in doubt - read the handbook

Took a few goes to get the timing right in terms of pressing the <reset 0,0> button whilst the "service interval" was displayed on the screen after pressing the <spanner>.

I had expected the "service interval" screen to change in some way whilst pressing the <spanner> to indicate it was ready to reset.

Anyway - job done. The car is a year old now with just over 17,500 on the clock and Trip2 showing around 44MPG.

Things I want to do -
1) honeycombe grill
2) LED number plate lights
3) chip/map it - out of warranty
Things I would like to do but probably wont
1) LED DRLs
2) The new sportier front bumper

Overall though - still love the car and pleased with the choice and value v specification

M7R

Nerd...
Mar 27, 2008
Nottingjam
The second mpg become more stable the longer you leave it, after about 1000miles you can thrash the living daylights out of the car and it will hardly change, so after 17k you could do 1mpg for a full tank and it would hardly move at all! It's better to reset the 2nd mpg for each tank, that way you know how you are doing from tank to tank and if your getting better or worse

DWaldie

Aug 21, 2012
you are quite right :whistle: if in doubt - read the handbook

Took a few goes to get the timing right in terms of pressing the <reset 0,0> button whilst the "service interval" was displayed on the screen after pressing the <spanner>.

I had expected the "service interval" screen to change in some way whilst pressing the <spanner> to indicate it was ready to reset.

Anyway - job done. The car is a year old now with just over 17,500 on the clock and Trip2 showing around 44MPG.

Things I want to do -
1) honeycombe grill
2) LED number plate lights
3) chip/map it - out of warranty
Things I would like to do but probably wont
1) LED DRLs
2) The new sportier front bumper

Overall though - still love the car and pleased with the choice and value v specification

I've had similar issues with mine. I reset the interval and it just shows ---. Will it stay this way until I get is serviced?

DWaldie

Aug 21, 2012
It takes about 450-500 miles for the --- to go.

I called into the dealer today and it turns out the car needs a service anyway. It was a motability car and for some reason they changed it from long life to time/distance servicing. It'll get changed back once it's serviced.

The cost was a pleasant surprise. Lots cheaper than Mazda :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members