Service Mode

aggie

Apr 28, 2009
I brought up the Service Mode by pushing the radio and menu buttons at the same time. Which brought up the following sub menu.

1 software update
2 HMI Version
3 Function Enabling Codes
4 ITR

Tell I didn't open any of these windows not knowing what might happen . What are they for and are they any use to me or best left alone? Also, on the upper brake light there is a red pimple sticking out of the lense I am unable to find out it's purpose if any? Thanking you in anticipation.

Stupra

Mar 25, 2008
West Yorkshire
Cannot answer your question on the radio but the "pimple" on the high level brake light is the rear window washer nozzle.

aggie

Apr 28, 2009
Cheers Stupra, its obvious now you have answered the question. But if anybody can put me right on the Service Mode I would be obliged.

Tell

Staff member
Aggie, Easter and all that.

The real action starts here to get into the full developers menu:

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=438134&page=2

Post 34.

Now I haven't done it with a standard infotainment system but I'm sure you can put that in the developers mode. There was a time when you could get into the full developers mode but they locked you out with Mib2. Those instructions enable you to fully unlock the developers menu with Obdeleven, saying that, that's how I do my semi map updates on the Navigation Plus without Mapcare following what I placed on the Leon map thread. The Obdeleven video is at variance with how you do it. I do keep the developers mode enabled rather than turning it back off again.

Now the software update on your menu above is the firmware update for infotainment system, you can ignore that one since I'm sure there is not an update. 3 is the FEC, those are the locked down aspects of the car that VCDS can't touch only VAG factory linked ODIS system at the dealership. If you Google VAG and FEC and SWaP that's what that is. An example is that the Mapcare is locked by a FEC code. So you know you haven't got Mapcare since it doesn't have the FEC for that. You cant give yourself that code since you havent got the Vag security system etc. The FEC codes listed are the extras over and above what you can touch with VCDS.

Plenty of talk of FECs in here

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31600

Basically people run into FECs when they try to fit a MIB2 where a MIB1 was installed, they pay for component protection to be taken off then find they need navigation added back on again, that's a FEC and a payment and the use of ODIS by a dealer if they will do it.

On the other questions take a look at this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cGgqHOMX6GI

Anything that says Mib2 and Green menu on the linked videos. I believe HMI is a skin based on that video... but messing about in the Green Engineering Menu (GEM as its sometimes called) is dangerous, as said, you have to enable the developers mode to get at this... the link I gave at the top - only the OBDEleven of consumer programmers allows you to enable developers mode on a Mib2 (unless that's changed now). It's also a bit weird about taking the command... takes a time to take effect and I assume that the standard system can be enabled the same.

I think playing with the green menu was dangerous in Mib1 but in Mib2 you can't save anything... the settings atleast... but then it still may be dangerous and should be treated with care. Pass on ITR at the minute. You can do a screen save to SD card which is how people document the infotainment green screen via the green menu of saving it.

My Navigation Plus semi map update is where I use the developers menu to read in the map file update files to the SSD via the SWDL menu. Basically the software import.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?p=4735093#post4735093

Post 699.

Saying that, that's my main interest in the developers menu is to do the semi udate for the Navigation plus unit via the SWDL menu, that which I've done twice now :) (she speaks more clearly now, gives me more warning at turns, updates the 3D art so I see new buildings and structures, warns of approaching a toll booth, Poi's etc... but not the roads... they are locked down). I tripped over the fact that Mapcare protects the road part of the update but not the rest as far as Navigation Plus is concerned. People who have bought MIB2 retrofits use SWDL to update the maps, but then they dont have Mapcare - that's how I got into the developers menu to see what I could do. Without Mapcare you can upgrade and downgrade all parts seperately via the developers menu on the plus navigation except the map file part which is locked down as far as updating. If you update that it locks you out of navigation till you restore the file that the car was shipped with. I was hoping the backdoor would be less fussy.

I think generally if you haven't got a Navigation Plus unit and there isn't a firmware update then there is no point in going into the service and developers menu except for looking around for interest.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ludo

aggie

Apr 28, 2009
Cheers Tell for that very comprehensive reply. For an 80 year old it's a lot to take in and I think I will leave well alone. Thanks to your input I have done all the tweets that I need and Bristol Street Motors have ordered an up to date SD card. The only niggles I have left now are the mirror which only lowers a few millimetres I have tried all your permutations with no success and eco mode which according to the indicator light tells me i am in eco mode but in fact i am in drive which i have to reset every time I start the engine. So It looks like I will have live with those two points. But, overall I am very happy with my Ateca which is my old Leon on steriods. I bought the car from Bristol Street Motors and their after sales service has been very good so no complaints there. All the tweeks have been done with my VCDS cable with codes from the Mk3 Leon forum. When I took possession of the car I took a scan which brought up a fuel injector malfunction which was put right under warranty. So the morale of the story is when you get a new or second hand car give it a scan and take the print out to the dealer. They don't like you doing it but it pays dividends.

Tell

Staff member
I hope to be that nibbled minded at 80 although I fear Windows 10 upgrades may get the better of me, then you'd be cut off from delivery if by that stage you couldn't drive. If you couldnt do the stairs you couldn't reboot the router... da. The age of technology.

The mirror does dip but not a lot. That's where one German guy on the German Ateca board suggested cranking your head a bit to add to the missing adjustment. Basically the mirror is not really designed for it, may be, being a higher car it needs more travel. I got the 360 cameras which are good. In the dark seeing the curb is tricky thou. In daylight you can judge how much you can overhang the superimposed mirrors above the curb. I'm going to white line the double garage when I move so I can see exactly where to position it. It's very handy in supermarkets to park in bays. The full ultrasound adds the extra bonus in tight spots where the side image going out starts to distort the image but the wailing sound and the red warning gives you guidance.

Mine hadn't had a check done on it at delivery - they assume all faults are clear when it leaves the factory. Mine had the heated wing mirror lead not snapped into the connection within the mirror which showed up on a scan I did. I was pretty convinced it wasn't working but you need cold weather to check. You can see steam rising when they do work in cold weather.

My dealer is pretty good. A family owned business. The chain one I had before was useless. Gone out of business but I didnt buy the car from them since they were useless - wouldn't trust them with the electronics of the car, bush mechanics on repairs was enough for me. My new dealer when I move will be family owned business as well and quite close. I haven't had an issues with the car apart from the build ones which had to be corrected.

I do get a periodic bus error logged on the scan which is either the doors locked when only on one click... it could be that. The passenger side and sometimes tailgate won't respond to Kessy unlocking, so you touch the driver door and it's all back again. The Kessy locking system is suppose to go into power saving mode so I think it shuts down the passenger side and boot. Has happended a few times when the car is left for a week. If the driver side still refused you'd have to pop the handle cover but it hasn't come to that yet.

Generally happy apart from from front passenger legroom, with the seats jacket up in MPV style to limit backache I cant get my legs out as I could in my old Altea. That I do find annoying. If you come from a Leon or dont sit as a passenger or dont jack the seats up or didnt have a more ample MPV previously - probably not an issue. I did import some seat extenders. The car does use Tiguan rails, but they are the Tiguan mk2 (well the latest) and the extenders I bought were for Tiguan mk1 - so whilst all the bolt holes matched the new down pin had nowhere to go. I gave up with that project. You'd have to angle grind the pin off the seat. Think the pin was an added safety feature if the bolts gave way. It's a bit of a design flaw by giving rear passengers ample legroom and reduced rail travel at the front. The solution hopefully is to get the Ateca big brother when it comes out which hopefully will have that added passenger legroom of the Allspace / Kodiaq. I plan to shuffle the cars around keeping the Ateca.

aggie

Apr 28, 2009
Nice one Tell. I forgot to say if anyone intends to back up their complaint with a VCDS printout following their own diagnostic cheçk do not cĺear the malfunction under any circumstances until Seat service have checked the car themselves. My VCDS cable has beèn invaluable over the years and has never let me down when presented with the printout the service dept have no defence. On one ocassion they told me a defect had been retified before i left i did a further scan which showed they had not done the job property. So , I went back in and waited until they cleared the fault to my satisfaction. If you can afford a VCDS cable it will be your best friend and pay for itself time.and time again. I don't know about Obdeleven so I çannot comment. Perhaps Tell can elaborate?

Tell

Staff member
Yes, on the Obdeleven you email the fault report to yourself so you can show it to them or click the screen to show them. It frightened them enough when I said I'd run a check and found the electric heated mirror circuit open. I delete the errors that I create myself but leave the ones the car brings up. Playing with standard sat nav does introduce errors at times. That has come up on the satnav thread but people dont know they have got them.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.