Servicing - garage or DIY?

Oct 17, 2006
northwest
I do my own servicing
my questions where
how long you gonna keep the car?
whats the engine how long will it last how many miles do you do?

All important questions

Mines
1.9 (proper TDI) 110 ASV can last 200k + i bought at 50k and will do 20k+ miles a year ( been two years now on 92k) I will be keeping it till it dies around 2014! hopefully. I will service it every 6-10K when I get around to it at a cost of about 40 quid I get my local garage to do tyres and anything that is just easier when the car is off the ground.

I think the 1.8T doesn't last that long?? 150k+?

justsean

Apr 4, 2008
Cumbria
could someone direct me to or create a decisive list of all parts/things to check/lubricants to change including bits which are a good idea to look at which may not appear in the owners manual/service booklet...

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
Normal stuff - pretty much as haynes recommends but when id do them
Oil, filter and plug or just new copper washer 6k
air filter 10k(or as i got a green filter clean every 6k/6m)
panel filter 10k
spark plugs - 10-20k standard/plat
fuel filter - 30k
coolant change 2 years
timing belt tensioners waterpump 40-60k
Gear oil change - 60k
power steering level check - monthly
brake and clutch fluid change 2 years
brake pad remaining and disc lip/runout/warped with a vernier gauge every 6m
Hand held diagnostics every 6m

as for checks jack up, check for leaks, unconnected wires etc exhaust for holes, brackets for perishment. bushes for wear and tear, driveshafts, wishbones and bearings for free play, steering, suspension for excess movement every year or 10k

antbee123

hi. there is someone on ebay that will make you any main dealer stamp for about 50 quid so basicly your history book dont mean sh*t. the receipts are the main thing. me personaly i will not buy a decent car without the receipts to back up your stamped history books. allso whilst im on the subject, did you know that some people except proof of mileage fom just seeing the history book. you would be suprised how many people do this. my mate owns a performance car sales garage . i see him on a daily basis blaggin the punters. his favorit is too hpi a car before he buys it from the auctions lets say, he checks to see when the last recored milege is, as most of the time the hpi people dont update it so it can show say 20k in 2004 as last recored mileage but its now 2008 and showing 90k . he simply throws away the old paper work buys a blank history book off ebay and buys a dealer stamp that just says seat on it , stamps the new history book up to say 50k , new stering wheel or drivers seat and wola..... he just made an extra 2grand off it. its so easy. all these people who think they are gettin a low mileage car and a bargin are so very wrong. also the other one is to get your car clocked before every mot and you wil alway have a low miles car. this is why i keep every receipt including my fuel . there are just to many dodgi cars out there....

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.