Servicing my Leon

Chrisdaman

1 gearbox dead, any more?
Mar 21, 2007
Kingston
www.flickr.com
i get paid next week and have decided that the car might need a service, not becuase it needs it, because the garage i bought it from lost the service history and i dont know where i stand with it

the car is a 2003 Leon SE 1.8 20V and it's just ticked over the 70k miles mark

my question is that should i have the cambelt done?

1. Do i assume the last one was done at 40k like the dealer suggests and wait another 10k to get it done (next year most likely), and just have a yearly service

2. Pay £390 to have that and the water pump done and put my mind at ease

i want to have it done at the dealers because i'm going to maintain the car properly, with dealer history during my ownership

what would you do?

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I wouldn't rely on anyones word that it had been done, based on what happens if it fails. I'd look at getting it changed so at least you know it has been done.

However, it might be worth checking with SEAT themselves, if it had been dealer serviced they might have a record of having it done.

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
70k hmmm no service book,

you'll want to get that cambelt done at the same time as the waterpump, if you dont know when it was done, replace it anyway,

seantdi

no smoke no poke!!
Jan 18, 2009
ireland
tbh i wouldnt bother going to the dealers to have it done. any good independant garage will do the work every bit as good for less cash. belt should have been done in 07 as they are ment to be bone at 60k or 4 years which ever comes first. contact david at sere motors (site sponser) he will supply you with a genuine belt kit plus water pump at a very good price and get a recomndation for a good garage near you from members on here.. imo its not worth having a dealer history from 70k on when you cant prove it was ever serviced before this...

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.