SFS intercooler and pancake pipe TDI Problem ?

Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
OK so my old intercooler and pancake pipes where knackered cause the clips had worn and the metal lugs on the pancake pipe had broke, so i replaced with the SFS intercooler and pancake pipe set. The SFS pancake pipe is bigger then the original which made it hard to refit the o/s splash guard that joins the undertray, but none the less i managed to get it in.

My issue is i still have a boost leak from the pipe that joins the plastic pipe on the intercooler itself (pic 4 where it joins the black pipe). Just on engine idle if i put my hands around the join, i can feel air coming out which iam guessing shouldnt happen as its loosing the PSI there........any ideas ?

Really pissed after spending £250 and iam not better off then before, if anything iam loosing more boost, cars smoking more and i feel like iam down on power more so then the old vag leaky hoses.

DSC03087.jpg

DSC03088.jpg

DSC03098.jpg

DSC03092.jpg

DSC03093.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
also i used the o ring from the old one and put it on the new pipe, as the SFS doesnt have one, but not even sure if it needs one or not ?

if it does why doesnt it come already on the SFS hose joiners ?

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Defo need the rubber o-ring's on the SFS pipes.

I would start by replacing the o-rings (cheap from SEAT garage).

Have you tried spraying soapy water on the plastic intercooler connectors and see if the plastic has cracked by watching for bubble movement? You may need someone to blip the throttle for increased air movement round the system.

Also, have you put your finger inside the plastic intercooler connectors to see if any grit, abnormalities are inside where the o-ring would sit? Should be silky smooth!!

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
ok interesting find, the original pipe work all has green grooved o-rings, but one end had a black round shape o-ring which is what i used when it was blowing. iam now thinking that the black o-ring was put there before i got the car in an attempt to fix it and i should be using the green one like it is everywhere else on the original pipe work.

its stupid that the SFS kit doesnt have these on them as i think its them thats caused my all the headaches then

DSC03099.jpg

frannyb

Nov 23, 2010
halifax
hi i had same thing last week and seat give me the black o ring and i feel as its still leaking a bit will you pm me if you find out if it is the black oring thats whong thanks

Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
hi i had same thing last week and seat give me the black o ring and i feel as its still leaking a bit will you pm me if you find out if it is the black oring thats whong thanks

will do mate, give me about an hour to get it all back on and ill let you know

Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
ok update, put it all back exactly how it i put it in, in the first place, but this time using the green grooved O-rings instead of the black round ones.

less smoke, boosting to 25psi and not 29.1 as with the black ones, and cant feel any air leeks around the joins, so i can only put it down to the difference in rings.

If anyone else can shed some light on this or there experience with replacing the o-rings please post cause its caused me 2 solid days work, and 4 baths.

john_tdi

mmm 385lbft
Feb 21, 2007
s wales
when i was messing around with various pipes etc. I bought new washer/rings. Vag have, over the years updated them. They now look like the green one you have pictured. They seem to try out different rubber/plastics and shape to help with leaks.

Quite often when I bought a new seal it had been replaced with a newer design. They are so cheap its worth doing them. Also I'd add that old ones stretch a bit too, and never really seal correctly again once off.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
when i was messing around with various pipes etc. I bought new washer/rings. Vag have, over the years updated them. They now look like the green one you have pictured. They seem to try out different rubber/plastics and shape to help with leaks.

Quite often when I bought a new seal it had been replaced with a newer design. They are so cheap its worth doing them. Also I'd add that old ones stretch a bit too, and never really seal correctly again once off.

thanks, well the old green ones are doing the job for now, my local seat dealer parts department is next to useless, any simple thing i order is never in stock, wonder if my local VW dealer will have some.

Last edited:

john_tdi

mmm 385lbft
Feb 21, 2007
s wales
I'm lucky my local Vw dealer is very good. I've been so many times I even get discounts on larger parts sometimes. My closest seat dealer was as good as tits on a fish. When the part I need ain't in stock I never wait more than 2 or 3 days. I was told Vw have a train just for them from the German factory!

Last edited:

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
I may have some new ones spare somewhere - from my old TDI days. Let me try find them because I'm sure they have a part number.

It's number 8 on the diagram.

ARLChargePipe.jpg

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
wouldnt mind knowing the part numbers for these too
can you buy them as a kit or is it indicidually
as i wouldnt mind replacing all of them

also wanted to buy the mikalor clams ive heard about from pirtek

frannyb

Nov 23, 2010
halifax
i have rang seat up and he said the green groved 1s are off newer cars lol so how come i took one off my 2003 i said.he said come in 2moz and we will sort it out as they give me whong part lol

Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
i have rang seat up and he said the green groved 1s are off newer cars lol so how come i took one off my 2003 i said.he said come in 2moz and we will sort it out as they give me whong part lol

green ones came off my 2004 original pipes too lol

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Lol. Sounds like my local garage.

May be just as well to order them through sere motors on here.

Send them a pic of the green seal and ask them for a bucket load of them.

My spare ones are at my woman's house. I'm going down on Thursday so will post up pics of the part number. I got mine for free from my local seat garage as he had loads just lying around (he told me they go through quite a few of them fixing boost leaks on the tdi)

Sent from my Nexus S