Shell Optimax octane rating on the up :-)

JKM

SCN Sponsor
Apr 25, 2005
Hi,

Just a quick for information only post: (I did use the search to see if this was already up anywhere else)

I was speaking with my local Shell petrol station yesterday (Hilsea, Portsmouth) and we got onto the subject of fuel octane rating.

I had heard some rumors about the optimax octane rating through a few sources and so I asked the staff at the station if the optimax rating was going up....apparently it is going up by 1 to 1.5 points and this will be within the next few weeks.

The best bit of all (Though will have to wait and see if this turns out to be true, is the cost is going to stay the same).

This fuel has always been very good in my opinion, and it sounds like it is about to get even better !

Keith

TimBarratt

Oct 6, 2004
Blandford
Sounds like we are just getting the fuel shell have been selling in Europe for years. I think they have to do this now tesco's has its 99ron.

JKM

SCN Sponsor
Apr 25, 2005
I thought that shell had been selling a better fuel in Europe for a while, so we are probabily playing catch up.

Tris, I think that there is going to be a formal launch of the higher ocatane fuel by the way the guy was telling me in the Petrol station. Will have to wait and see.

tris

The Daddy
Feb 25, 2005
Kent & Track Days
www.leoncupra.net
JKM said:
I thought that shell had been selling a better fuel in Europe for a while, so we are probabily playing catch up.

Tris, I think that there is going to be a formal launch of the higher ocatane fuel by the way the guy was telling me in the Petrol station. Will have to wait and see.
will give it a try:D
wanted to try the BP 120ron but not at the price it is:(

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
JKM said:
That would be the Shell V Power 100 Octane stuff I filled up with in Germany. Car doesn't half shift with it in. :)

gazjones

cant wait for this then if its going to happen i like the sound of 100 octaine!

kempos

Sep 26, 2002
hull
Visit site
mcn today says loris capirossi, troy bayliss and felipe massa are riding/driving down belvedere road in london today (10am) to launch shells v power fuel. doesn't state octane rating tho

gazjones

not the 100 as expected but still all helps i will be filling up with it when i find it comes to lincoln. anyone seen any yet? or know whan it will be in petrol stations? and is that the end of optimax?

gazjones

thats what im thinking think they will just fase optimax out and bring in the new stuff

Darth Tater

Feb 16, 2006
Kent
Shell's site indicates it will take over from Optimax. No point running both 98 and 99 Octane rating as too confusing for the punter I'd reckon

Btw, don't get carried away with Octane rating. Evo did a very large test of fuels a few months back. Their results showed BP Ultimate (97 Octane) giving biggest gains in BHP and Torque in a Mk V Golf GTI. Given it's pretty similar to a Leon 4 pot, this is the reason I use it. Oddly they also did same test with a current M5 and hardly any difference was shown, go figure...:blink:

I should point out Optimax wasn't too far behind Ultimate

Darth Tater

Feb 16, 2006
Kent
I actually found Sainsbury's super unleaded is the best I've put in mine (97 Ron and poss BP) as feels way more responsive than with anything else

I've never really given Optimax a sustained trial though so might try with the new stuff and see what I think

Ambient conditons and other stuff all play a part of course anyway