Shiny Steering Wheel Remedy

concerned cat

Nov 30, 2014
Huddersfield UK
My 2 yr old FR's steering wheel was getting very polished & shiny. Yesterday I experimented with clutch & brake cleaner. I was amazed at the muck it removed & a quick wipe over with a damp cloth restored it to it's original condition.

mrratty

Aug 10, 2016
Try baby wipes. You wanna see the muck they get off my girls. Actually maybe you don't.

xSullx

Jul 16, 2012
Estonia
The Mk3 FR-trim has always had the leather steering wheel with red stitching as far as I know.

DANFR180

Feb 8, 2016
it changed to nappa leather MY15, certainly wouldn't want to go near it with any solvents

Aardvark

Apr 24, 2014
Leeds, Yorkshire
Definitely plastic with red stitching! The rest of the trim was described as "simil leather".

Hmm bit of a b*gger, that means than mine is plastic.

We have a 14 plate FR and a 16 plate FR and the steering wheels look and feel the same with neither being shiny.

The only way that I know to test leather from plastic is to pass a flame across it, the leather survives and the plastic will bubble and I am not going to do this on my steering wheel.
:(

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
Definitely plastic with red stitching! The rest of the trim was described as "simil leather".

Brochure says leather for the steering wheel, handbrake grip and gear knob.

If it is plastic then it will be the first car (and the last!) that I have owned that has stitching on the steering wheel but it is vinyl rather than leather.

Even my cheap and cheerful Citigo has stitched leather on the steering wheel. :blink:

Last edited:

matthab

Jun 16, 2010
West Midlands
Be careful using solvents as it will dry the leather out and so do baby wipes. Use a form of leather cleaner which will also rehydrate the leather.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.