Should I get one

Jan 24, 2023
So my wife recently got a mk4, nice car lots of tech. And I was thinking about getting a lux one as I love my gizmo’s. I currently run a 140i which is a great car and I can’t decide if I should do it. One minute I’m like yes the next I read all the issues the mk4 has and glitchy software and I’m out.

any thoughts if I should make the jump?

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
If the 140i isn’t causing any issues and you‘re happy with it, then if I was you I’d be keeping it.

Aside from supply chain issues and long wait times for new cars to be built, I‘d say the topic that‘s probably discussed most frequently on some of the VW Golf forums I’m a member on is software related gremlins. I know software issues will also affect other car manufacturers too, but VAG does seem to have had more than its fair share, and that would certainly put me off buying a current generation VAG car.

I’ve bought VW’s for the last 20 years, and if things haven’t improved on the software gremlins front over the next two years or so when my current car will be due for replacement, then I won’t be replacing it with a VW or a car from any other VAG brand.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I would be keeping the BMW. The interior quality of the BMW is far superior to that of a SEAT
Agree.

There‘s visible cost cutting in the interiors of many current VAG car interiors (e.g. Golf, A3) compared to the previous generation cars. Seat is probably no different. Also the lack of physical controls in the interior won’t be to everyone’s taste.

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
Biggest gripes are definitely the lack of physical controls for the heating, but definitely the buggy software and unreliable SOS module are the biggest annoyances. Wasn’t expecting to have to let it spend 2 days at the dealership getting bits fixed within a month of buying it, but here we are….

Otherwise it’s a really decent car.

Nathan penney

Jul 8, 2017
Liverpool
Can’t speak from experience of a mk4 Leon specifically, but we’ve looked at a few new cars recently and I have to say I’m not impressed with many (if any) of them to be honest.
Quality of materials in some cars seems worse than my 17 year old Cupra R. :ROFLMAO:

Jan 24, 2023
Thank you for all the replies. Started looking at A class now as well. Always get that wanting a shiny new thing 😂 but I can definitely tell the build quality differences

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Thank you for all the replies. Started looking at A class now as well. Always get that wanting a shiny new thing 😂 but I can definitely tell the build quality differences
A Class is not very great quality inside either.

Cheapo carpets something like you would expect in a Peugeot. Also a lot of cheap nasty scratchy plastics.

Don't get me wrong the dash looks well cool on the new ones

[Mercedes owner]

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
So, which car manufacturer is the one go for? 🤔
If you want a small car with decent quality you go Audi A3 or BMW 1/2 series.

The Mercs are a bit cheap inside if you go for anything A Class derived. They even fit Renault Engines in some of them. Believe that or not 😵

Reactions: H Rafiq

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
If you want a small car with decent quality you go Audi A3 or BMW 1/2 series.

The Mercs are a bit cheap inside if you go for anything A Class derived. They even fit Renault Engines in some of them. Believe that or not 😵
Interesting. What about if one needs lots of room in the rear seats for car seats, and enough room in the boot for prams etc. But not a fan of estates at all…

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Peoples situations and circumstances will be different, and will influence the type of car they need. From a personal perspective, I only need a small car these days; I very rarely carry rear seat passengers and only cover a small annual mileage (4K - 5k miles a year). With that in mind, I’ll be looking at a Mini when the time comes to change my car. My very first car was a Mini back in the 1970’s (the original small one), so if I do end up getting one, I’ll have gone full circle.

If I decide to keep my current car longer than originally planned (so we’ll be that much closer to that 2030 EV date for new cars), I may well seriously consider an EV Mini.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Peoples situations and circumstances will be different, and will influence the type of car they need. From a personal perspective, I only need a small car these days; I very rarely carry rear seat passengers and only cover a small annual mileage (4K - 5k miles a year). With that in mind, I’ll be looking at a Mini when the time comes to change my car. My very first car was a Mini back in the 1970’s (the original small one), so if I do end up getting one, I’ll have gone full circle.

If I decide to keep my current car longer than originally planned (so we’ll be that much closer to that 2030 EV date for new cars), I may well seriously consider an EV Mini.
The new Mini's are lovely

They still have that character

Reactions: SRGTD
Jan 24, 2023
My wife hates the hard ride in the 140 but my god it’s a fun and very fast car (if it’s dry lol) going to look at an a200 tomorrow so will see what it’s like

Reactions: Jay5959

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
My wife hates the hard ride in the 140 but my god it’s a fun and very fast car (if it’s dry lol) going to look at an a200 tomorrow so will see what it’s like
Just wait until she experiences AMG Line Suspension 🤣🤣🤣

Like driving a steam roller down a mountain

• Haha
Reactions: Jay5959

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
Let us know how you get on, I find the ride in the a class quite harsh, but I can’t compare to 140i as I’ve never been lucky enough to take one out

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Let us know how you get on, I find the ride in the a class quite harsh, but I can’t compare to 140i as I’ve never been lucky enough to take one out
If it's a new shape A class fortunately the tyres have increased in size from 225/40/18 to 225/45/18 so hopefully that helps.

I have the older CLA with 225/40/18 and it is rock bloody hard 🤣

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members