Software Update 1896

Gazinet

Feb 15, 2022
My Formentor had its software update yesterday to 1896 and the sat nav voice has changed from a gentle female voice to a posh male voice. Has anyone else had this and is there a way that it can be changed back.
ACC issues seem to be resolved though.

Reactions: oldgitdave

Big A

Jul 7, 2021
Mine was updated on Tuesday, but I've not tried the sat nav yet. In fact I've only used the sat nav once in the 4 months I've have the car because of a road closure, and probably wouldn't remember if it was a male or female voice that gave the directions. I have heard other say that the womans voice has gone and is now a male voice though.

I've still had the speaker pop twice mind you on first start up, despite the update.

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
My Formentor had its software update yesterday to 1896 and the sat nav voice has changed from a gentle female voice to a posh male voice. Has anyone else had this and is there a way that it can be changed back.
ACC issues seem to be resolved though.
Mine was updated on Tuesday, but I've not tried the sat nav yet. In fact I've only used the sat nav once in the 4 months I've have the car because of a road closure, and probably wouldn't remember if it was a male or female voice that gave the directions. I have heard other say that the womans voice has gone and is now a male voice though.

I've still had the speaker pop twice mind you on first start up, despite the update.
Hi guys, was the update part of a normal service, or did it go in specifically for the software update? Mine's on 1803 and not due for service for another 11 months yet. I was thinking if I could get it done now it would improve the usability of the infotainment system. Thanks 😊.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Hi guys, was the update part of a normal service, or did it go in specifically for the software update? Mine's on 1803 and not due for service for another 11 months yet. I was thinking if I could get it done now it would improve the usability of the infotainment system. Thanks 😊.
Ring the dealer and tell them it's acting weird ( wont overtake on ACC, random errors on screen etc )
They should book it in for the update.

Big A

Jul 7, 2021
No, I had a few other issues, some of which were due to the infotainment so it was booked in specifically for the upgrade which hope resolve them. Also had a rattle to be looked at which still hasn’t been resolved.

Napmasterflash

Jan 21, 2021
My car has been into Cupra today for its annual service and the software upgrade. It's a huge improvement and the screen is super reactive. I am hoping it stays stable!

I have also had my engine cover taken as part of the safety recall which makes the engine bay look a bit odd. As it was foam not sure if it acted as some sort of sound compression?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
My car has been into Cupra today for its annual service and the software upgrade. It's a huge improvement and the screen is super reactive. I am hoping it stays stable!

I have also had my engine cover taken as part of the safety recall which makes the engine bay look a bit odd. As it was foam not sure if it acted as some sort of sound compression?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Did they give it back to you? Bit cheeky if they have just taken it off!

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Well - mine has chucked a wobbly

Taken it in today because the dash kept lighting up like a christmas tree.
error - start/stop system
error - front assist unavailable
error - lane assist unavailable
error - park assist unavailable
error - park distance control
error - tyre pressure loss indicator
error - electronic parking brake - please take to workshop
error - dynamic road sign display
error - auto hold
error - stability control ( ESC )

Currently on 1804 - guessing they will put 1896 on it as a first attempt to fix it.

AndyCupra93

Apr 21, 2021
Well - mine has chucked a wobbly

Taken it in today because the dash kept lighting up like a christmas tree.
error - start/stop system
error - front assist unavailable
error - lane assist unavailable
error - park assist unavailable
error - park distance control
error - tyre pressure loss indicator
error - electronic parking brake - please take to workshop
error - dynamic road sign display
error - auto hold
error - stability control ( ESC )

Currently on 1804 - guessing they will put 1896 on it as a first attempt to fix it.

They’ll claim that might fix it, but the reality is those faults won’t be caused by the infotainment system software. It appears to be the latest trend for dealerships to fob customers off, claiming an imminent software update will most likely solve their problem

Cars are becoming exponentially more complicated electronic beasts, and dealership technicians have extremely limited knowledge of their inner workings. These days, the level of technical ability required to debug these sort of issues resides with professional engineers (like those who actually designed / developed the systems), and there’s no way a dealership is going to want to / be able to afford that level of expertise.

That’s where manufacturers need to step in heavily and provide field support, rather than sitting back at base in Germany and taking a very slow, retroactive approach to fixing these (anecdotally increasingly common) problems.

Reactions: DrCupra

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
They’ll claim that might fix it, but the reality is those faults won’t be caused by the infotainment system software. It appears to be the latest trend for dealerships to fob customers off, claiming an imminent software update will most likely solve their problem

Cars are becoming exponentially more complicated electronic beasts, and dealership technicians have extremely limited knowledge of their inner workings. These days, the level of technical ability required to debug these sort of issues resides with professional engineers (like those who actually designed / developed the systems), and there’s no way a dealership is going to want to / be able to afford that level of expertise.

That’s where manufacturers need to step in heavily and provide field support, rather than sitting back at base in Germany and taking a very slow, retroactive approach to fixing these (anecdotally increasingly common) problems.
Pretty much same thoughts myself.
Not really impressed considering the car is just over 2 months old.

Had a call to say the car has failed to take the 1896 update and they will need to speak to the tech team tomorrow.
Not sounding good right now.

AndyRBL

May 14, 2020
Pretty much same thoughts myself.
Not really impressed considering the car is just over 2 months old.

Had a call to say the car has failed to take the 1896 update and they will need to speak to the tech team tomorrow.
Not sounding good right now.
I had the same problem but with the previous software update. Currently on 1804. they recommended a hardware replacement. However due to short supply, i’m waiting for that part for 2 months now. No delivery date yet. Said it in the past, saying it again: this car’s infotainment and software is pure trash

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I had the same problem but with the previous software update. Currently on 1804. they recommended a hardware replacement. However due to short supply, i’m waiting for that part for 2 months now. No delivery date yet. Said it in the past, saying it again: this car’s infotainment and software is pure trash
If I get offered the same solution - they are going to have to do way better than the 1.0ltr 3 cylinder Ibiza they have currently loaned me.

I don't mind it for 24/48 hours or so but if it will be 2 months to fix I want something much better to drive.

AndyRBL

May 14, 2020
If I get offered the same solution - they are going to have to do way better than the 1.0ltr 3 cylinder Ibiza they have currently loaned me.

I don't mind it for 24/48 hours or so but if it will be 2 months to fix I want something much better to drive.
I’m lucky the car is drivable. And unfortunately it might be more than 2 months because of the chip shortage. New cars already have around 1 year delivery

Tell

Staff member

It is a new bus in the Mib Evo's which the control units hang off so all those presume new control units go into the new mib3 and there you have it. I blame it on dieselgate, they cut their QA to the bone and you can hardly roll out and fix in the field. They have a design flaw in their logic of how they are going to put right flawed systems once shipped. May be the software fixing thing which software engineer talk about works in online systems but the reality is these cars are only partly online not upgradeable. Thats where IT in Vag has sold them a pig in a poke.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
It is a new bus in the Mib Evo's which the control units hang off so all those presume new control units go into the new mib3 and there you have it. I blame it on dieselgate, they cut their QA to the bone and you can hardly roll out and fix in the field. They have a design flaw in their logic of how they are going to put right flawed systems once shipped. May be the software fixing thing which software engineer talk about works in online systems but the reality is these cars are only partly online not upgradeable. Thats where IT in Vag has sold them a pig in a poke.
Yep - it's not looking good right now.

Big A

Jul 7, 2021

That must be the "go to" courtesy car for dealers. I got the exact same last week. I actually quite liked it and had decent tech that actually worked, but as you say, don't know how I'd feel if I had it for more than a couple of days.